More Bus Moves

sw4400

Why do you have to take to a CTA garage to fuel it?

Doesn't CFD use the same diesel for its trucks?

Why can't you use one of the city's gas stations, like the one on Schreiber in Rogers park?

It might because of labor issues between CTA and CFD (never mind the fact that they're both city agencies, at least in theory). I'm not saying that's the reason, but I wouldn't put anything past any labor union in Chicagoland.

I don't know what you have read, but I have driven GMC Fishbowls, Orion Is, New Flyer low floore, RTS transit buses and NONE of them had fuel gauges on the dashboard anywhere!! Motor coach buses have them. Unless there is some gauge in the engine department that I never knew about, I can tell you not from a story I once read, but from personal experience, and even checking the CTA buses dashboards, there are no fuel gauges on standard transit buses.

I wish I could share the link with the story, but alas the site has been gone for years now. Anyway, it was a story posted from someone who put up all sorts of stories about CTA breakdowns, both bus and rail along with other various stories like homeless defecating on trains, etc... the original site I remember was urbanophile.com, but upon looking at it, it looks like everything CTA related, story-wise is gone. He(Aaron) had some good ones up there, many worthy of going in our "Random CTA" thread. He even mentioned about the blizzard of '99 and the failure of many of the 2600-Series railcars and how Mayor Daley called then CTA President Frank Kruesi at his home to give him an angry dressing down about the situation over the phone.

But to get back on the point... you say you have driven the buses mentioned above, and I believe what you say. I have never sat in a CTA bus drivers' seat nor peeked at the gauges to see if a fuel gauge exists or not. So maybe the gauges don't exist... I'm just going off a story on a site that no longer exists, or maybe does but has to be dug for on the internet really deeply to find.

If anyone wishes to try, it was urbanophile.com, the Weekly Breakdown Archives.

It might because of labor issues between CTA and CFD (never mind the fact that they're both city agencies, at least in theory). I'm not saying that's the reason, but I wouldn't put anything past any labor union in Chicagoland.

CFD is a city agency, but CTA is not and is a separate and distinct government body legally speaking even if the Chicago mayor does appoint the CTA President and some members of the Chicago Transit Board. Chicago mayors may behave as if CTA is one of the city's governmental departments and agencies because of that appointment power the city's mayors hold, but it's not. By Illinois law CTA's status as a municipal corporation is supposed to make it a distinct government body separate from the City of Chicago along similar lines that the Chicago Water Reclamation District is not legally a part of Chicago city government but a government body unto itself. One big difference with the Reclamation District though is Chicago residents and residents of those suburbs whose waters fall under the District's service jurisdiction actually vote for the District's board members representing their geographic area instead of them being appointed by any local mayors.

4319 was running the 9 this evening it is on 83d s, it could a loner from 77th or 103rd.

4319 is a 103rd bus. So it would be a loan from there. But are these actual physically sightings you guys or from watching buses on BusTracker? The question's got to be asked in light of the recent BusTracker glitches.

4319 is a 103rd bus. So it would be a loan from there. But are these actual physically sightings you guys or from watching buses on BusTracker? The question's got to be asked in light of the recent BusTracker glitches.

Yea I actually saw that bus yesterday at 103rd with the Ashland sign on the bus. I was wondering at the time why did it have that sign but now I know why. What a rare sighting to see a Artic the Ashland route.

Yea I actually saw that bus yesterday at 103rd with the Ashland sign on the bus. I was wondering at the time why did it have that sign but now I know why. What a rare sighting to see a Artic the Ashland route.

Ok. Good enough for me. So you confirmed it being a fill in run for an operator not at work at 74th. And I see that the person who originally brought it up, edited his original post to say that it was 4317 rather than 4319.

UPDATE: 4311 and 4319 showing up on the Tracker for the #9. Both bus's marker indicated they're parked on Ashland near Lake Street and display "No arrival times available" when you click the markers. I think, in light of Mr. cta85 saying he saw an artic yesterday with a 9 Ashland sign when he was at 103rd Garage along with artics on the route today, that those buses are actually being used for supplemental service on Ashland for whatever weekend event is going at Union Park.

art, I was about ready to put the nail in the coffin on the subject of transit buses not having a fuel gauge. I talked to the operator of #6499 operating #80 tonight and asked him if the bus has a fuel gauge so the coffin on the subject could be closed. He looked at the dash for a few seconds and said "Yep." So maybe this debate isn't over yet. Bus Operators or people who know Bus Operators on this forum, I ask you, from our current fleet of buses 6400-Series, 1000-Series, 800-Series, 900-Series, 4000-Series, 4300-Series, 4333-Series and 7900-Series buses, how many(if any) of these vehicles have fuel gauges? According to the Bus Operator I spoke to tonight, the 6400-Series buses do.

Ok. Good enough for me. So you confirmed it being a fill in run for an operator not at work at 74th. And I see that the person who originally brought it up, edited his original post to say that it was 4317 rather than 4319.

UPDATE: 4311 and 4319 showing up on the Tracker for the #9. Both bus's marker indicated they're parked on Ashland near Lake Street and display "No arrival times available" when you click the markers. I think, in light of Mr. cta85 saying he saw an artic yesterday with a 9 Ashland sign when he was at 103rd Garage along with artics on the route today, that those buses are actually being used for supplemental service on Ashland for whatever weekend event is going at Union Park.

Now that ought to be an interesting turn from Ashland onto Irving Park, especially if vehicles are in the left turn lane of Irving Park at the time. Sometimes a 40' bus requires a vehicle to back up or pull around it to complete it's turn. A 60' bus might be a little more challenging.

art, I was about ready to put the nail in the coffin on the subject of transit buses not having a fuel gauge. I talked to the operator of #6499 operating #80 tonight and asked him if the bus has a fuel gauge so the coffin on the subject could be closed. He looked at the dash for a few seconds and said "Yep." So maybe this debate isn't over yet. Bus Operators or people who know Bus Operators on this forum, I ask you, from our current fleet of buses 6400-Series, 1000-Series, 800-Series, 900-Series, 4000-Series, 4300-Series, 4333-Series and 7900-Series buses, how many(if any) of these vehicles have fuel gauges? According to the Bus Operator I spoke to tonight, the 6400-Series buses do.

Well Since The 6400's Was Delivered I Never Driven A Nova With a Fuel Gauge Now Every Single Flyer I Had From 1000's 4000's 4300' 4333's Series

Well Since The 6400's Was Delivered I Never Driven A Nova With a Fuel Gauge Now Every Single Flyer I Had From 1000's 4000's 4300' 4333's Series

Well, maybe this operator was mistaken though I clearly asked him "Does this bus have a fuel gauge?" He looked on the dashboard somewhere to the left of the steering wheel and said "Yep." to me. Nothing unclear about my question, and he seemed very friendly to the passengers, saying "Hello" to them when he came on at Central and saying "Thank you and have a great rest of the evening!" as they left. So I doubt he just answered generically just so I wouldn't talk to him. It was a simple "Yes" or "No" question, I wasn't going to turn it into a game of 20 questions with him. Just does the bus have a fuel gauge? Yes or No, and that is that...

Looks like you're going to get more chances to drive a Nova now.

Yea hopefully I will but I wonder are these official transfers cause we got a few artics from 77th and this is the 2nd time in a 2 week span Novas have been at 103rd. Could it possibly be they're bringing some Novas to 103rd until they're finally retired?

Yea hopefully I will but I wonder are these official transfers cause we got a few artics from 77th and this is the 2nd time in a 2 week span Novas have been at 103rd. Could it possibly be they're bringing some Novas to 103rd until they're finally retired?

If so it can't be too many #6401 is on the #9. I would like to know now if those artics on the #9 yesterday were from 103rd or not? I'm curious about that. It would seem they were out of 103rd. #4317 is on the #6

Very solid point indeed, especially 73-exchange trips. I didn't have that much interest of understanding X99 maybe because I was young at the time.

X99's fatal flaw was that Ford's "support industries" do not have set work hours, but vary week to week depending on how many cars Ford is going to produce that week. One week they might work 12 hours, next week only 6 a day. I saw this in Belvidere with Chrysler's suppliers. Result was workers could use bus this week, but quit too early or too late next week, so why not drive all the time?

• Upvote 2