More Bus Moves

sw4400

Yeah, they shouldn't call the project "your new blue" they should call it "the historical blue" LOL!! They are supposed to be doing a line cut again on the Milwaukee elevated corridor two weeks from now. I think there's another one in August and that's it. They did say they would announce in July when they intend to close the Damen and California Blue line stations for rehab. That will hurt those stations as they have decent ridership, but the rest of us will have skip stop service again!!

So?? I'm glad that they're fixing up Damen and California. I just wish that they had included elevators in the details.

4172 to 4207 have been at 77th since April/May this year

However, the inference from you remark is either (1) 77 took over some of 6, or (2) the buses were transferred from 77 to 103. Current Bus Tracker shows some of them, plus 4300s, which I assume are still 103:

post-14-0-82734400-1405346344_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-30685400-1405346487_thumb.jpg

On the other hand, 79 is running about half 40 foot buses at the moment, so something is happening.

#1003 is on #8 heading northbound.

#1000 is on #51 heading eastbound.

Looks like you found the answer to what's going on with 4170s now operating on the 6. 77th might have traded a few artics to 103rd for a few 40 foot New Flyers. Whatever's going on though, those artics were only on the 6 for rush hour because the Tracker now shows none of them in service.

Is anybody familiar with this truck?

Looks like a Semi that the CTA converted into a mobile fuel truck for when the garage personnel, bus porters, whatever you call them(the people who fuel and prep buses for service) don't do their job and a bus runs out of fuel out on the streets. They call control, which calls out one of these trucks to the buses' location to give it enough fuel to get it back to one of the garages to get filled up.

Looks like you found the answer to what's going on with 4170s now operating on the 6. 77th might have traded a few artics to 103rd for a few 40 foot New Flyers. Whatever's going on though, those artics were only on the 6 for rush hour because the Tracker now shows none of them in service.

Idk about that because #4172 and #4176 are still on #6 as I type :lol:

Looks like a Semi that the CTA converted into a mobile fuel truck for when the garage personnel, bus porters, whatever you call them(the people who fuel and prep buses for service) don't do their job and a bus runs out of fuel out on the streets. They call control, which calls out one of these trucks to the buses' location to give it enough fuel to get it back to one of the garages to get filled up.

Sounds reasonable, though one would think checking the fuel gauges is also part of the operators' responsibilities as part of whatever checklist they have in checking out the condition of their bus before they take the bus out the garage as opposed to leaving it all at the doorstep of the garage crews whenever something goes wrong on a bus.

Edited by jajuan

Idk about that because #4172 and #4176 are still on #6 as I type :lol:

Meaning they could have been on one of those extra long layovers (longer than 20 mins in which case the operator lets the engine shut off for a while) at the time I checked. ;):lol:

Meaning they could have been on one of those extra long layovers (longer than 20 mins in which case the operator lets the engine shut off for a while) at the time I checked. ;):lol:

Oh wow! :lol:

I caught a female driver laying head down on the wheel during her 10-15 minute layover on #N66 while I was at work. I'm riding on my bike like what the hell, you're on camera dummy! :o:lol:

I caught a female driver laying head down on the wheel during her 10-15 minute layover on #N66 while I was at work. I'm riding on my bike like what the hell, you're on camera dummy! :o:lol:

Doesn't necessarily mean she was asleep. And better for her to catch her bearings on her layover while the bus isn't moving than the situation we saw with the rail operator who caused that big collision at O'Hare station.
  • Upvote 4

Sounds reasonable, though one would think checking the fuel garages is also part of the operators' responsibilities as part of whatever checklist they have in checking out the condition of their bus before they take the bus out the garage as opposed to leaving it all at the doorstep of the garage crews whenever something goes wrong on a bus.

Another thought upon re-examining the photo is it could be a truck with a air tank for flats and blowouts. They patch the tire on the streets and put air back into the bus tire. Either/Or is most likely what this trucks' purpose is.

Sounds reasonable, though one would think checking the fuel garages is also part of the operators' responsibilities as part of whatever checklist they have in checking out the condition of their bus before they take the bus out the garage as opposed to leaving it all at the doorstep of the garage crews whenever something goes wrong on a bus.

When I took this shot, I thought it was some kind of a water truck with the hose and the tank.

Cta wouldn't did anything unless the bus was in motion . I had to go to vouch for a operator who laid over cause she didn't want to drive cause she felt dizzy .

Cta wouldn't did anything unless the bus was in motion . I had to go to vouch for a operator who laid over cause she didn't want to drive cause she felt dizzy .

And I commend her for saying "Hey I don't feel my best and the way I'm actually feeling will seriously affect how I handle this bus so I'm not moving."

Could the move between 77th and 103rd be for shorterm rehab purposes?

Who knows? But I do wonder if the greater numbers of 40 foot buses on the 6 and J14 were an indication of a slight shortage of artics down at 103rd. Smaller buses on the 6 aren't all that too unusual, but with the J14 being set up as what some of us have come to call BRT-light, the frequency 40 footers were starting to be seen on that route was getting rather unusual.

Sounds reasonable, though one would think checking the fuel gauges is also part of the operators' responsibilities as part of whatever checklist they have in checking out the condition of their bus before they take the bus out the garage as opposed to leaving it all at the doorstep of the garage crews whenever something goes wrong on a bus.

Most transit buses do not have fuel gauges.

BusHunter, on 30 Jun 2014 - 14:04, said:

I was noticing they have also cut the roof out of UIC Halsted's platform canopy at the stairway entrance that's now closed. I was wondering why. They wouldn't be thinking about an elevator here too would they.

Tracy Swartz with her Red Eye article today does state UIC Halsted/Blueline is getting elevators. Wow I'm kind of surprised, but I wonder where that fits in when they rehab the Congress branch? Will they be skipping rehabs then on this station and Medical district?

http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/cta/redeye-how-accessible-is-the-cta-20140714,0,102365.column

Tracy Swartz with her Red Eye article today does state UIC Halsted/Blueline is getting elevators. Wow I'm kind of surprised, but I wonder where that fits in when they rehab the Congress branch? Will they be skipping rehabs then on this station and Medical district?

http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/cta/redeye-how-accessible-is-the-cta-20140714,0,102365.column

I also see that they proposed making Lawrence, Argyle, Berwyn and Bryn Mawr (this station I think was mentioned in the Red Line North Side Main reconstruction thread) accessible, a signal that they might not be planning to change the station every three (in a few spots two) blocks configuration in place on the north end of the Red Line going north from Wilson on up. The article overall shows that one decade after CTA became 100% accessible on the bus side of operations, it still has quite a way to go on the rail side especially on the Blue Line as Busjack points out above me. With 99 of 145 stations accessible, the rail system is still at 68.3% accessibility. In addition to the money factor being a big part why CTA is so slow in increasing accessibility on the rails, there is also the factor that CTA has let itself get boxed in by surrounding properties in communities served as evidenced by them saying the California and Damen stations on the Blue Line won't get elevators as part of their rehabs because they still don't have space needed to build elevators at those stations.