More Bus Moves

sw4400

Sounds reasonable, though one would think checking the fuel gauges is also part of the operators' responsibilities as part of whatever checklist they have in checking out the condition of their bus before they take the bus out the garage as opposed to leaving it all at the doorstep of the garage crews whenever something goes wrong on a bus.

How would the operator check the fuel when there is no fuel gauge on the bus?

How would the operator check the fuel when there is no fuel gauge on the bus?

Is there an echo in here? That point was already and I got it then. Sheesh. I'm not an operator but still figured there was one. I learned from the post made above that there wasn't. But thanks for making the point again.

I have to disagree on that point... all vehicles have a fuel gauge, otherwise, how can you determine the level of fuel in the vehicle? There was a story I read once where a TMC broke down near the CVS just north of Irving Park on Lincoln. The Bus Operator tried to get it started again to no avail and he had to call the garage to report it in, then he decided to check the gas gauge(words used in the story) and it was on "E".

It was on a site called the weekly breakdown archives and had all sorts of CTA issues and stories. That is where I found a story about a homeless lady on the Red Line lifting up a wheelchair seat on a 2600-Series railcar, squatting and laying down a pile that made the operator gag when he was called about it when he came to investigate. Unfortunately, that site does not exist nowadays.

Now that is frickin awesome!!! Even if they're loaners (which I'm sure they are) I hope they are still there till tomorrow so I can have a chance to drive them again lol.

You're like a kid with a new toy when it come to those old Novas. :lol:

• Upvote 2

You're like a kid with a new toy when it come to those old Novas. :lol:

LOOL it's just at 103rd you only have the artics and the 40ft new flyers after a while you sometimes get tired of seeing the same type of buses there so when a nova pops up every blue moon you get a little excited about it that's all lol even if they're the old ones. That's why I said I hope that bus is still there tomorrow when I go back to work that would be great if I can drive one again lol.

I have to disagree on that point... all vehicles have a fuel gauge, otherwise, how can you determine the level of fuel in the vehicle? There was a story I read once where a TMC broke down near the CVS just north of Irving Park on Lincoln. The Bus Operator tried to get it started again to no avail and he had to call the garage to report it in, then he decided to check the gas gauge(words used in the story) and it was on "E".

It was on a site called the weekly breakdown archives and had all sorts of CTA issues and stories. That is where I found a story about a homeless lady on the Red Line lifting up a wheelchair seat on a 2600-Series railcar, squatting and laying down a pile that made the operator gag when he was called about it when he came to investigate. Unfortunately, that site does not exist nowadays.

I don't know what you have read, but I have driven GMC Fishbowls, Orion Is, New Flyer low floore, RTS transit buses and NONE of them had fuel gauges on the dashboard anywhere!! Motor coach buses have them. Unless there is some gauge in the engine department that I never knew about, I can tell you not from a story I once read, but from personal experience, and even checking the CTA buses dashboards, there are no fuel gauges on standard transit buses.

I have to disagree on that point... all vehicles have a fuel gauge, otherwise, how can you determine the level of fuel in the vehicle?

With a dipstick, the try cocks, or by seeing how much you can put back in the tank, the same way you tell how much gas in your lawnmower.

Fuel gauges are not terribly accurate, they're unreliable, and they cost money, so lots of short haul vehicles have not had fuel gauges. A vehicle driving a route isn't going to stop for fuel in the middle of the route unless it has to, and the route planner will take that into account. A bus with a 125 gallon tank, which gets 3.5 miles/gallon (I think that's the CTA fleet average), can travel 430 miles between fueling, which is more than enough for a shift.

...A vehicle driving a route isn't going to stop for fuel in the middle of the route unless it has to, and the route planner will take that into account. A bus with a 125 gallon tank, which gets 3.5 miles/gallon (I think that's the CTA fleet average), can travel 430 miles between fueling, which is more than enough for a shift.

While I have no idea what the truck is, a tank that small isn't going to make any difference compared to a 125 gallon tank and 3.5 mpg. The hose also doesn't look like a fuel hose (given such things as under current EPA rules, it has to have evaporation recovery).

LOOL it's just at 103rd you only have the artics and the 40ft new flyers after a while you sometimes get tired of seeing the same type of buses there so when a nova pops up every blue moon you get a little excited about it that's all lol even if they're the old ones. That's why I said I hope that bus is still there tomorrow when I go back to work that would be great if I can drive one again lol.

So I guess you drive the 103rd local routes a lot, the reason you're hoping that bus is still there to give a possible chance to drive a Nova again. :lol: I'm mainly guessing that since unless you're driving 26 or 28, it's more likely you're getting an artic to drive an express run.

So I guess you drive the 103rd local routes a lot, the reason you're hoping that bus is still there to give a possible chance to drive a Nova again. :lol: I'm mainly guessing that since unless you're driving 26 or 28, it's more likely you're getting an artic to drive an express run.

Nah currently I do the 29 and 100 on the weekdays and the 30 all day on Saturday I had the 28 last pick that's actually my favorite route but wanted to do something different this pick lol.

Nah currently I do the 29 and 100 on the weekdays and the 30 all day on Saturday I had the 28 last pick that's actually my favorite route but wanted to do something different this pick lol.

The 100? Interesting.... what time are you out on that route? I usually catch it when I miss a 95E lol

I'm standing here outside @ 69th/Red Line and spotted this on the tracker and on #1024. Why end @ 104th/Torrence???? :huh:

Schedule has a T after the 9:26 pm trip, which says "Trip begins/ends at Torrence/104th at time shown" Some morning northbound trips start there.

The map on the cover indicates that the bus is on 104th between Commercial and Torrence, so maybe it is a short trip back to the 103rd Garage,

Today I saw a bunch of #12 buses on Taylor Street where the 157 runs while driving to and eating at Pompei. It turns out a truck dumped corrosive acid on Roosevelt around Loomis, so a bunch of #12 buses were rerouted onto Taylor. Of course the traffic was terrible, but it was also weird seeing that many buses on Taylor.

Today I saw a bunch of #12 buses on Taylor Street where the 157 runs while driving to and eating at Pompei. It turns out a truck dumped corrosive acid on Roosevelt around Loomis, so a bunch of #12 buses were rerouted onto Taylor. Of course the traffic was terrible, but it was also weird seeing that many buses on Taylor.

Well the #12 does use more buses than the #157 and operates on a smaller headway. So with Taylor being a smaller street than Roosevelt Road in addition to Taylor having all those stop signs along the stretch you mentioned, the difference in the number of buses on each route becomes a bit more obvious.

I haven't been on the 29 regularly in ages. These days I use it mainly for quick rides up from the #12 up to Van Buren on days I'm feeling like using a 147 from work on lighter traffic days. So you wanting to try something different that Lake Shore Drive this pick huh. LOL. I think the last extended ride I did on the 29 was when I was heading home on a Saturday afternoon from a professional exam being given at Chicago Agricultural. At that point the Dan Ryan Line hadn't been rehabbed yet so I was actually taking the 112 to get to the 29 to head back into downtown. (I know I could've taken the 53A to the Orange Line but the 112 arrived at the 111th/Harding terminal first). Turns out the #112 bus I was on was on a #29/#112 interline, so I got off the 112 at 95th/Dan Ryan only to get right back on the very same bus for the 29. :lol:

I haven't been on the 29 regularly in ages. These days I use it mainly for quick rides up from the #12 up to Van Buren on days I'm feeling like using a 147 from work on lighter traffic days. So you wanting to try something different that Lake Shore Drive this pick huh. LOL

Yea definitely I try to stay away from that during the summer time I do the 29 in the mornings so im good lol.

Yea definitely I try to stay away from that during the summer time I do the 29 in the mornings so im good lol.

Cool. So are you interlined with anything doing that run? The buses running at the 95th/Ryan terminal has all those crazy interlines all over. I think at one point I noticed some runs down there got three routes interlined together instead of just two. lol