More Bus Moves

sw4400

Schedule has a T after the 9:26 pm trip, which says "Trip begins/ends at Torrence/104th at time shown" Some morning northbound trips start there.

The map on the cover indicates that the bus is on 104th between Commercial and Torrence, so maybe it is a short trip back to the 103rd Garage,

It seems a little bit odd because it would really suck for some passengers that live south of 104th despite a 1-mile differential but I wonder if #27 South Deering ever had it's route ended @ 104th?

It seems a little bit odd because it would really suck for some passengers that live south of 104th despite a 1-mile differential but I wonder if #27 South Deering ever had it's route ended @ 104th?

There really isn't that much south of 106th. Anyway, that's the only short trip; the rest (between 9:31 and 12:34) go all the way to 112th.

At one time, the 27 S. Deering (before being combined with 71) went to 127th and Torrence, but since most of the steel mills closed, and Ford plant workers don't ride the bus (as shown when the X99 had a short life), there really was no point going south of 112th.

What's also a bit surprising is that since the 73-Exchange trips end at 8:42, evening service south of there is better than midday service.

There really isn't that much south of 106th. Anyway, that's the only short trip; the rest (between 9:31 and 12:34) go all the way to 112th.

At one time, the 27 S. Deering (before being combined with 71) went to 127th and Torrence, but since most of the steel mills closed, and Ford plant workers don't ride the bus (as shown when the X99 had a short life), there really was no point going south of 112th.

What's also a bit surprising is that since the 73-Exchange trips end at 8:42, evening service south of there is better than midday service.

Very solid point indeed, especially 73-exchange trips. I didn't have that much interest of understanding X99 maybe because I was young at the time.

As a NW sider I can only hope it might be the start of a nova-for-NF switch between FG and 103rd

I personally hope so cause I really like the Novas but as I was pulling into the garage(103rd)I saw 2 more Novas parked so I asked are they staying and the lady told me no they're going back to their garage later on today. I saw 6883 I believe didn't really see the numbers and the other one was a 67 something. But I hope they are still there for my 2nd half I'm sure going to ask for one if I can lol.

Very solid point indeed, especially 73-exchange trips. I didn't have that much interest of understanding X99 maybe because I was young at the time.

It was a short lived route between 95 Red Line and the Ford Supplier Campus east of the Hegewisch Ford plant, but basically via 103rd and Torrence.It didn't last very long, for 2 reasons I presume (1) if you work in the car industry associated with Ford, you better have a Ford, and (2) stories about the Ford plant indicated that a lot of the workers live in Indiana. I don't know if this was some sort of JARC to get inner city residents to jobs, but it apparently did not work.

I personally hope so cause I really like the Novas but as I was pulling into the garage(103rd)I saw 2 more Novas parked so I asked are they staying and the lady told me no they're going back to their garage later on today. I saw 6883 I believe didn't really see the numbers and the other one was a 67 something. But I hope they are still there for my 2nd half I'm sure going to ask for one if I can lol.

Sounds like between this and the flip of artics and 40 foot buses between 77 and 103, 103 is short.

Sounds like between this and the flip of artics and 40 foot buses between 77 and 103, 103 is short.

Yea that's true I've noticed that too not sure what's going on with these shortages I'm guessing a few are out due to rehabs at south shop but it could be more to it than that.

Yea that's true I've noticed that too not sure what's going on with these shortages I'm guessing a few are out due to rehabs at south shop but it could be more to it than that.

Why is 103rd under equipped so often though? I've noticed its been like that since my junior year when I actually found out about garage assignments (2010 maybe earlier than that but I wouldnt know cause I don't know any assignments earlier than that.) Out of all the loans most of them involved 103rd using 77th NOVAs (whren they still had them) or a stray 1200/1900 NF. But if this trade of 4170's for 1000's wads do to 103rd being short then why would they even send those 1000's out in the first place? Or maybe just an artic shortage on the 6 since J14 doesn't have enough artics dedicated/wrapped for the rush? I wonder if this has anything to do with me seeing #4302 running #79 79th last week.

• Upvote 1

Why is 103rd under equipped so often though? I've noticed its been like that since my junior year when I actually found out about garage assignments (2010 maybe earlier than that but I wouldnt know cause I don't know any assignments earlier than that.) Out of all the loans most of them involved 103rd using 77th NOVAs (whren they still had them) or a stray 1200/1900 NF. But if this trade of 4170's for 1000's wads do to 103rd being short then why would they even send those 1000's out in the first place? Or maybe just an artic shortage on the 6 since J14 doesn't have enough artics dedicated/wrapped for the rush? I wonder if this has anything to do with me seeing #4302 running #79 79th last week.

That is a very good question of why is that it seems 103rd is short buses so often.

It was a short lived route between 95 Red Line and the Ford Supplier Campus east of the Hegewisch Ford plant, but basically via 103rd and Torrence.It didn't last very long, for 2 reasons I presume (1) if you work in the car industry associated with Ford, you better have a Ford, and (2) stories about the Ford plant indicated that a lot of the workers live in Indiana. I don't know if this was some sort of JARC to get inner city residents to jobs, but it apparently did not work.

Maybe this state had something to do with that mess. Really unfortunate though.

With a dipstick, the try cocks, or by seeing how much you can put back in the tank, the same way you tell how much gas in your lawnmower.

Fuel gauges are not terribly accurate, they're unreliable, and they cost money, so lots of short haul vehicles have not had fuel gauges. A vehicle driving a route isn't going to stop for fuel in the middle of the route unless it has to, and the route planner will take that into account. A bus with a 125 gallon tank, which gets 3.5 miles/gallon (I think that's the CTA fleet average), can travel 430 miles between fueling, which is more than enough for a shift.

Probably 430 plus highway miles. Most CTA buses would be lucky to travel half of that in one day. Generally speaking, the buses should run about 20 hrs in a day on a full tank of fuel. However, when there is a breakdown and the first bus they grab to replace it has been on the street from 18 hours and above, the chances of that bus running out of fuel increases.

A bus driver on the street that is out of fuel can't see how much he can put back in the tank.

While I have no idea what the truck is, a tank that small isn't going to make any difference compared to a 125 gallon tank and 3.5 mpg. The hose also doesn't look like a fuel hose (given such things as under current EPA rules, it has to have evaporation recovery).

That tank is shaped like a pressure vessel, and I strongly suspect that the hose is an air hose. I don't know what's in the cabinet, whether it's a generator, or tool storage or what.

I suspect that's some sort of service vehicle, possibly just around the yard. A road going service vehicle would have more storage.

The 6000 Series Flxibles had fuel gauges on them but they never worked! The Flx I drive at the CFD, we take it to 77th for fuel once a month. We more or less guesstimate the fuel on it. Last month we took it down to SS, we pumped 110 gallons of diesel fuel in it! So for a bus it was nearly dry!!!

Maybe this state had something to do with that mess. Really unfortunate though.

They'd still have to pay Illinois taxes regardless of them living in Indiana so not seeing where you're going with saying this state had anything to do with CTA not seeing that a lot of the auto workers down there didn't live in Chicago and therefore grossly underestimated how how little of a need there was for the X99.

They'd still have to pay Illinois taxes regardless of them living in Indiana so not seeing where you're going with saying this state had anything to do with CTA not seeing that a lot of the auto workers down there didn't live in Chicago and therefore grossly underestimated how how little of a need there was for the X99.

True but like I said, I was young at the time.

Two main reasons why 103 has been recently short. 1. Over 10 of their artics have been on long term maintenance for some reason. They have been parked in the back for a while now waiting on repairs. This has affected their spare ratio and performance on service. 2. Ever since Chicago received artics the south side has been under-equipped in general,

Both times I rode that route it actually performed well for a rush only express route. The problem was reliability and missing trips. When I did service checks at CMC, most of the workers told me the bus was never there when shifts ended. 5 workers were stranded at 103rd garage because a X99 (it was a busted TMC lol ) pulled into the garage without notice, instead of continuing to 95th/Red Line (the 106 stopped running). After one pick and when grant money ran out the route disappeared. I believe it was also political and if it was a contract route like 169 it would still be there. The similar thing happened when 34 stopped doing the CID trips at 137th.

Couple days ago, I spotted #4177 and another 417_ on the 6 a @ Stony Island/ 63rd. And yesterday evening I spotted #4303 on LSD Northbound passed 57th said "North Park Garage" while I was rollerblading on the LS Trail. Is NP getting some DE60LFRs?