More Bus Moves

sw4400

4 hours ago, Busjack said:
  1. People aren't going to do that for a $35 ride, especially if they can call an Uber (or whatever will be the autonomous car service in 2030, which may indicate that this concept is already obsolete).
  2. I also figure it can't high speed if it has to go through the junctions at Fulton before Ashland, Bloomingdale, and Franklin Park.

I wasn't really referring to the express train which i did mistakenly say express. I was referring to the people mover in response to his question but while were on the subject why wouldn't an express train going to the remote lot work? If say you re going to terminal 5 you would have to transfer anyway from the main terminals 1,2 and 3 so I don't see the difference.

4 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I wasn't really referring to the express train which i did mistakenly say express. I was referring to the people mover in response to his question but while were on the subject why wouldn't an express train going to the remote lot work? If say you re going to terminal 5 you would have to transfer anyway from the main terminals 1,2 and 3 so I don't see the difference.

I know you were referring to the people mover, but the question is to where the people mover was going.  Based on @geneking7320's

13 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

1. What is the cost of extending the Airport Transit System to the Metra station?

I thought the issue was that the ATS goes to the parking lots and the Kiss and Fly, but not to the Metra station, which has the existing NCS service.

The issue I was trying to raise is that there are the current alternatives of getting a taxi or Uber at the curb outside the baggage area, or CTA fairly close by under the existing garage. The high end airplane passenger would have to weigh whether having to go to some remote place to pick up the express train for $35 is worth it compared to especially the closer in CTA train at $5. The express train would have to be much faster, and get you where you are going. Even if Uber, the cab, or Go Airport van gets stuck in expressway traffic, it will still do a better job getting you to a hotel  on N. Michigan Ave.,while presumably heavy rail would only get you to Union Station, i.e. the wrong side of downtown unless you have business near Willis Tower or Chicago-Kent College of Law.

Problem is if the airport express ran into the terminal it would probably need a huge infrastructure project most likely needing a subway like tunnel built for it. Unfortunately this would seem the most viable to put it by the Metra. It doesn't take that long to ride the people mover probably almost as fast as getting a cab.

There is talk going around Facebook that Homeland Security is checking I.D's on the Red Line for people of Hispanic or Middle Eastern appearance. I don't know if this is going to lead to detainment and possible deportation right there or not, nor if this action is legal(I think it's bordering on not, but @Busjack may be able to clarify the legality of this checking for certain people of certain races or religions). It's obvious why this is occurring, and I'll leave it at that..... >:(

No news articles at this point about it, so it might be a covert operation that is being seen by people on the line itself.

2 hours ago, ThirdRailVision said:

Here is one article I stumbled upon regarding the 02/14 Red Line I.D. check:

http://patch.com/illinois/chicago/federal-checkpoint-red-line-addison-reports 

I misconstrued your link has having to do with what happened a couple of years ago with the Homeland Security checkpoints, but just found something similar in the Sun-Times.

However,this is still not different than what happened a couple of years ago, in that there were marked checkpoints to inspect bags, not a request for IDs on racial grounds. The S-T article also has an embedded CTA Tweet that the rumors are false.

• Upvote 1

On 9/27/2016 at 8:50 PM, Busjack said:

Reported in various places: Bed bugs found on Red Line train.

Wouldn't they be black and blue seat bugs? And then would the bugs be that color, or the seats?

Another infestation is getting publicized in numerous places, based on the guy who took video of a woman with a garbage bag full of bedbugs. WGN report, although the one on the noon news interviewed someone who said this shows CTA should use the plastic seats, which are more sanitary.

New show Superior Donuts is set in Uptown, and looks it, including the mandatory segue shot of a CTA bus.

We find out that Peg Bundy (after Al left her to marry Sofia Vergara) is now a Chicago police officer.

However, as usual when CTA gets portrayed, there was something off. Besides the landlord seeming more south side, he was wrong in saying what he was doing (turning off the heat for tenants having leases) was legal. Someone should have called 311. Apparently Maya did, but for the wrong reason, i.e. to get him an affordable housing grant.

7 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Another day on the CTA, I guess.... lady who's either angry her bus is late, or someone just wanting to spark anger and irritation.

I couldn't figure out from the description if the driver was mulatto or Native American.

7 hours ago, Busjack said:

I couldn't figure out from the description if the driver was mulatto or Native American.

The description uses an unflattering and derogatory term towards women, which which is synonymous with a word I will not repeat, that comes from rap and hip hop culture. I can definitely assure you though that it's not a reference to either woman's ethnicity or race, but you do get an idea of the maturity level of the person who recorded the clip from the use of the term in the description. 

• Upvote 2

On a lighter note, Channel 5's website gave a story on CTA releasing some vintage photos on Instagram commemorating its 70th anniversary. It says that CTA has a number of events planned throughout the year, including giveaways, contests and a celebration on June 6 with anniversary L rides in commemoration of this year also being the 125th anniversary of the L in Chicago, June 6th being the anniversary date of the first L service started in 1892. More info is given on CTA's website at www.transitchicago.com/cta70.

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

The description uses an unflattering and derogatory term towards women, which which is synonymous with a word I will not repeat, that comes from rap and hip hop culture. I can definitely assure you though that it's not a reference to either woman's ethnicity or race, but you do get an idea of the maturity level of the person who recorded the clip from the use of the term in the description. 

To educate,   if you wil, the  word Thot isan acronym  for :That Hoe  (whore) Over There. 

4 hours ago, jajuan said:

On a lighter note, Channel 5's website gave a story on CTA releasing some vintage photos on Instagram commemorating its 70th anniversary. It says that CTA has a number of events planned throughout the year, including giveaways, contests and a celebration on June 6 with anniversary L rides in commemoration of this year also being the 125th anniversary of the L in Chicago, June 6th being the anniversary date of the first L service started in 1892. More info is given on CTA's website at www.transitchicago.com/cta70.

First photo: "The block of buildings in the background is where the Helmut Jahn-designed Thompson Center (State of Illinois Center), which has direct connections to the Inner Loop platform and subway stations at Clark/Lake, today!" Aside from missing a part of speech, it won't be tomorrow!

43rd: Not sure when the "today" in the caption was, and they must have had a lot of fires on the stretch, as 35th also suffered one.

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, strictures said:

Genius of the week used a couple of CTA buses, including the Halsted bus as his getaway from a Loop bank robbery.

Of course he got caught!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-bank-robber-cta-bus-getaway-20170320-story.html#nt=oft13a-1gp1

Yeah and I bet he used his ventra with his name on it too!! xD All anyone has to do is just go to his house and arrest him.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah and I bet he used his ventra with his name on it too!! xD All anyone has to do is just go to his house and arrest him.

Not as dumb as the guy in the GEICO commercial who used a ride share app and waited for the driver.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, strictures said:

Genius of the week used a couple of CTA buses, including the Halsted bus as his getaway from a Loop bank robbery.

Of course he got caught!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-bank-robber-cta-bus-getaway-20170320-story.html#nt=oft13a-1gp1

17 hours ago, BusHunter said:

But note the news brief mentions that the money had an electronic tag hidden within it and is what was used by the FBI to get him. So Ventra would not have been needed (though it's possible he paid cash and Ventra would be useless in that case as a tracking method), and more importantly they would have found him even if he hadn't used a CTA bus as his escape vehicle. So Jack is right that his mode of escape isn't as dumb as it appears to be on the surface.

9 minutes ago, jajuan said:

more importantly they would have found him even if he hadn't used a CTA bus as his escape vehicle. So Jack is right that his mode of escape isn't as dumb as it appears to be on the surface.

However, I'm sure being on CTA helped, as in the case of the person who murdered someone in Indian Head Park, but was tracked getting on and off the Orange Line (but via stolen cellphone). Being on CTA now instantly puts one under camera surveillance, and I'm convinced the pictures they put on TV are not as high def as what the police have.

11 minutes ago, Busjack said:

However, I'm sure being on CTA helped, as in the case of the person who murdered someone in Indian Head Park, but was tracked getting on and off the Orange Line (but via stolen cellphone). Being on CTA now instantly puts one under camera surveillance, and I'm convinced the pictures they put on TV are not as high def as what the police have.

True it was a help as far as being on the bus. I wonder though if he may have gotten closer to wherever it was he was going had he hopped a train instead, say Green Line to Halsted and then the bus. Given they say they busted him an hour later on the bus, that's consistent with having made his way to Halsted and using the Halsted bus for most of his escape. He would have reached the area they caught him in maybe half that time. 

While I'm glad they caught this thief with this ill-gotten goods, I think with the tracking device, they could've waited a bit to get him.... like when he was off the bus, not on it. I'm sure the Police and FBI came on board, guns drawn to apprehend the suspect. But with other civilians on the bus, that was not a good tactic on their part. The suspect could've pulled a weapon and had a firefight with law enforcement with innocent civilians, including the Bus Operator, in the line of fire. Or, they could've grabbed another passenger and had a hostage situation.