More Bus Moves

sw4400

21 hours ago, Busjack said:

...or some more 6400s are comatose.

Which begs the question, how long do they expect the #6400's to last? Maybe they will eventually send more NF's FG's way. You would think with a summer pick on the horizon they wouldn't need buses at least for school runs.

On 4/20/2017 at 4:14 PM, garmon757 said:

Ummm why is #1590 on #93 right now??? #1848 and #1918 are on #86 while #1931 (Well I'll be damned) is on #68! #1896 is on #85.

Well 1590 has been at NP all week. It had been on the 49 and X49 during the previous several days before you spotted it on the 93. Up to that point no one new if it was serving NP or 74th because its only sighting had been on the 49/X49 up to that point. Your sighting after that answered the question of whether NP or 74th was using it.

5 hours ago, jajuan said:

Well 1590 has been at NP all week. It had been on the 49 and X49 during the previous several days before you spotted it on the 93. Up to that point no one new if it was serving NP or 74th because its only sighting had been on the 49/X49 up to that point. Your sighting after that answered the question of whether NP or 74th was using it.

That would be very weird to see #1590 at 74th due to the fact that 74th's 1500 block ends at #1551. However, that bus should be at Forest Glen. I swear NP and FG are getting weird with these borrow swaps as of lately. 

5 hours ago, jajuan said:

28 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

That would be very weird to see #1590 at 74th due to the fact that 74th's 1500 block ends at #1551. However, that bus should be at Forest Glen. I swear NP and FG are getting weird with these borrow swaps as of lately. 

Maybe they're starting to hit NPs flyers with TSP tech for the X49 so they might be down. ??

11 hours ago, jajuan said:

As of today, that bus is back at FG.

On 4/22/2017 at 6:39 AM, garmon757 said:

The million dollar question is, for how long???

Depends on what the temporary loans are for..... my 2 cents:

• Repairs/Scheduled Maintenance for the 1000-Series New Flyers there(they have some of the oldest rehabbed buses, at 11 years old)
  • Large block of the 6400-Series Novas are down with issues and FG and South Shops need time to sort through and see what's salvageable and what's not. So loaners are needed to keep service on FG routes.

I would think the latter, as usually I see a lot of 1st Gen Novas during the week on #152, and it's been more New Flyer and 2nd Gen Novas(7900-Series).

19 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

Repairs/Scheduled Maintenance for the 1000-Series New Flyers there(they have some of the oldest rehabbed buses, at 11 years old)

Only issue on that one is that the buses were not rehabbed in order. Anyway, by that theory, 103 would be in far worse shape, and 21 of 26 1000s are on FG routes as of 8 a.m. (according to @maths22's tracker). But 77 6400s, too, which is about par for the course.

On 4/19/2017 at 1:24 PM, BusHunter said:

As far as the CTA, there is no yellow line, so to me that states that this rule is not enforced. Most likely this is due to the crowds who would just delay the service and be packing buses later and later. An overcrowded bus will still affect the back door, yellow rule or not. Question is, is this an actionable offense at CTA, or can the operators do it freely. To me, it seems to be the same aggravation/stressor, while you might not have a full bus, you have to constantly check your riders and inform them of what you want them to do, to board or not, stand where you want them to stand, and risk an argument to anyone's that's combative. While this may have been alright this time, get the wrong crowd and you will have a disturbance on the bus. The bus does have mirrors and can see over the passengers on a low floor bus, there is one that is right over the front door and lets the operator see the door, so while it doesn't look safe, it's safer than the average joe would think. This just takes a more concentrated effort by the operator to scan his/her bus. I'm sure if it was a problem CTA rules would change, the fact that they haven't makes me believe it's OK and the feds are not intervening, so I don't see the problem. Now I might enforce the rule on a high floor because the passengers are at a higher place in the bus and are more difficult to see over them, but how they are trained should dictate how they should perform in their duties. Would be a good question for an instructor though or brass.

That's not correct BH. The 1000's for example have a yellow line to the back of the bus operator right between the front edge of that model's front wheel wells. So passengers would need to be standing behind at least that point if the operator was enforcing the rule. As for Trainman's mention of school buses, standees are no allowed on school buses in general as is usually painted on the outside of most school buses somewhere near where the school bus's seating capacity is marked.

On 4/26/2017 at 1:03 PM, Pace831 said:

The law does apply to all buses.

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Hmm thats news to me. I dont see what youre talking about.

I can't speak for CTA, but a number of transit buses I have ridden have had the notice required by the regulation cited by @Pace831.

In fact, the specifications for Pace buses has the following under "Required Decals and Information Plates"

standee.thumb.jpg.b14de676e4fe35ff348b5898cca58b79.jpg

Asterisk is that it is on an aluminum plate.

10 hours ago, Busjack said:

As @jajuan says, take a look. It is inconceivable that the manufacturers (New Flyer and Nova Bus) would violate a regulation that is clearly binding on them.

Photographic evidence that they haven't when building for CTA, two shots of the yellow line inside CTA NF 1913:IMG_20170428_233312952.thumb.jpg.3489a906a91213766c66ad58a2bee8ee.jpgIMG_20170428_233308189.thumb.jpg.b661e070a1767fa3dd2ce272e34a35cd.jpg

9 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Photographic evidence that they haven't when building for CTA, two shots of the yellow line inside CTA NF 1913

Also, from the way it looks, standees over the line would block the ramp apparatus. Maybe that's why someone thought it was there.

9 hours ago, Busjack said:

Also, from the way it looks, standees over the line would block the ramp apparatus. Maybe that's why someone thought it was there.

Yes the way it's set up, they would be. The 4000s and 4300s have the line basically in the same position as the 1000s. No need to take a picture as the 4000s' front end is the same as a 1000 and the 4300s a slight modification of the end caps of both.

15 hours ago, ChiTown said:

Do you think that the New Flyers (1000-1025) from Forest Glen garage will ever get move to different garages such as Chicago, Kedzie, North Park, 74th, 77th, and 103rd in the near future perhaps?

No bus is static, especially when CTA has 1030 of about the same, as the swap after the rehabs occurred shows.

That's similar betting to a member who said "FG will never get a new bus."

Don't forget, these buses started at Archer and then went to Chicago, and then 103rd.