More Bus Moves

sw4400

14 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

You  didn't  mention  whee  you saw it before.

I had not. At the time the only thing I found notable was after wondering what the bus was, seeing that it had the Orion I air conditioner cover.

24 minutes ago, Busjack said:

For some reason, I didn't think Cook County Hospital was near Parkway North in Deerfield. Lake County, for instance.

I only  mentioned  the County  because that was  the last place I remember  anyone  seeing Orions before you  spotted  one.  That was the Colonial/Alexis bus.

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Observations from O'Hare. 

There's a  glutton of taxis, not only in the termials, but also in the staging  area which is backed up all the way to G Lot on Bessie Coleman.

Uber and Lyft  loading zones are on the upper levelpposed to  taxus, limos, and Airport Express on the lower  level. They are sometimes the cheapest  option when compared  with taxis and Airport Express as long as there's  enough supply at the airport to meet demand.  Other times Uber and Lyft  go to surge pricing which can be compatible  with taxi fares.

CTA  , at least  fo travelers , is a bargain  at $5, especially  considering the  nightmarish  traffic  on the Kennedy  when travel times on the Blue Line  is comparable  or better than  on the expressway. 

Which all makes  Airport Express  less attractive  despite  having flat rates.  The luster  of sharing vehicle  with others and having  to make multiple  stops  is wearing off.  With the shuttle company  in San Antonio filing for bankruptcy  last year, could the airport shuttle  model  become extinct?  

Of note is the observations  that the increase in  traffic  on the expressways and  downtown  is directly  connected to the  ride share services  as well as UberEats and similar  services.

We didn't  even mention  VIA, an upscale  rideshare that only operates  between  Lakeview and downtown  (to Roosevelt).

Working in the area myself, I do see the sea of taxi's on Bessie Coleman, they stretch for blocks on a friday. I wouldn't be surprised if the city pushed the taxi stand over by the future rental car building. I would be a fan of some kind of London style congestion pricing zone/toll road from Bessie Coleman to O'Hare because there will soon be alot of options to get from there to the airport via people mover or even CTA to get you at least out of the airport. i don't know how anyone else uses Bessie Coleman, it's that bad.

Things are changing, we are moving from a taxi era to a rideshare era, as those companies are mopping up the taxi industry. The taxi drivers are lobbying for a free medallion renewal because they are having difficulty competing with the rideshares. The only way you can beat a rideshare is to have an express lane (kudos to Pace on that) I'm surprised the county doesn't wise up and do like SF and have a pool/rideshare lane as that eliminates congestion as there is only so much construction you can do. Like with the Kennedy constructing a 4th lane from Cumberland to Harlem, you only push the congestion to east of Harlem which doesn't really solve the long term goal of a uncongested road. 

In this new era of technology, I saw something yesterday that I think threatens the rail industry but I'll post it under a new thread, I don't want to hijack the thread, and I feel it's deserving of it's own thread.

I ask why Chicago borrowed Kedzie a Nova 8190 instead of a 1000 Flyer. I do not recall Kedzie ever being assigned new Nova`s so can a driver be assigned one without training?

When I observed the bus northbound at Bryn Mawr the driver had string of followers behind him. The driver pulled into Devon terminal and pulled out immediately.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, sht6131 said:

I ask why Chicago borrowed Kedzie a Nova 8190 instead of a 1000 Flyer

Actually the other way around (unless you meant "lent"), and the question might be why a C driver was on a K route rather than if K borrowed the bus.

• Upvote 3

On 6/16/2017 at 8:59 AM, Busjack said:

Actually the other way around (unless you meant "lent"), and the question might be why a C driver was on a K route rather than if K borrowed the bus.

A supervisor has the power to tell any operator to do any route if something happens. At 12 at night they once had a blue line mishap. They were telling operators on the #4 to report to Jeff Pk. If something happens like at 2AM there are no buses out there, the #81 and #77 have like 8 night cars between them. You can only pull one here and there off other routes.

Another question that comes to mind is are the signs programmed to reflect a Chicago operator on the #82. (a "C" run) or can they only reflect a kedzie operator even though it may be chicago's bus and operator?

• Upvote 3

"Diverting" a bus to another route to fill a major gap is not unheard of. Was a lot more common years ago than now, but still done occasionally. In the late 60's it was an almost daily practice for instance to grab North Limiteds on their pullin trips after the AM rush to make a trip[ up Pulaski to Peterson as Pulaski had a tendency to have major service gaps in the morning. Strangest example I personally ever saw was one day about 1968 when Fullerton had some kind of electrical problem and the trolley buses were immobilized in the PM rush and service was being run entirely by diversions, including a Mack and a 100 presumably off Halsted and various propanes.

However, this still occurs. I personally while out of 103rd made a trip on Grand from Navy Pier to Nordica and then on Fullerton from Nordica to Halsted one day about 5 years ago, with a 4000 no less.

• Upvote 4

Another thing ion streetcar days was if the car in front of you broke down, you had to push it back to its home barn. For instance, there is a shot of a Pullman off Milwaukee/Armitage pushing a one-man Armitage car at Cicero and North back to North Ave. This could get really interesting downtown, but there was no other way to handle it. You can't very well pass a breakdown...

On 6/15/2017 at 11:42 PM, sht6131 said:

I ask why Chicago borrowed Kedzie a Nova 8190 instead of a 1000 Flyer. I do not recall Kedzie ever being assigned new Nova`s so can a driver be assigned one without training?

When I observed the bus northbound at Bryn Mawr the driver had string of followers behind him. The driver pulled into Devon terminal and pulled out immediately.

It would be interesting if Kedzie would've got some Novas. 

39 minutes ago, BusGuy248 said:

1000-1004 moved from FG to Chicago.

8 minutes ago, BusGuy248 said:

Also 1026 to 1030

Well that is 10 buses total, and Chicago has 8224-8235(12 buses total), so I would surmise these will return to FG if this is indeed a move. FG needs a reliable fleet, and the 6400-Series Novas, though hanging in there, are not as reliable as they once were at 15-17 years of age.

5 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Well that is 10 buses total, and Chicago has 8224-8235(12 buses total), so I would surmise these will return to FG if this is indeed a move. FG needs a reliable fleet, and the 6400-Series Novas, though hanging in there, are not as reliable as they once were at 15-17 years of age.

I'd have to agree. Fg needs a reliable fleet and taking away what good buses they have is counter productive. Im surprised one of the all #1000s garages couldnt spare anything.

9 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Actually Chicago also has 8200-8212.

1026-1030 have moved from 103rd to 74th according to maths22 tracker.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, busfan2847 said:

Actually Chicago also has 8200-8212.

Those (part of the plastic inserts "test") seem to have gone over there from 77* when #66 lost its artics.**

______

*Compare to @maths22's tracker of Nov., 2016.

**As of Dec. 12. again verifiable on that tracker.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Those (part of the plastic inserts "test") seem to have gone over there from 77* when #66 lost its artics.**

______

*Compare to @maths22's tracker of Nov., 2016.

**As of Dec. 12. again verifiable on that tracker.

The 8200-8212 batch moved over on the weekend of 12/17-18 which was when the last artics moved out.