More Bus Moves

sw4400

On 10/11/2017 at 2:40 PM, andrethebusman said:

Per official September 2017 assignment list:

1821 gone. Reason??

4300, 7900 back on list. Have either been actually seen recently?

804 only 800 left.

804 might have gone. Has not been used in service since 10/5 when it was on the 12 until around 10:15am according to Maths22 bus tracker.

Do you think sometime before 2017 ends or sometime in 2018 some of the NF buses from #1000-#1429 would make a comeback to Kedzie garage? I remember riding #1214 NF bus on the #21 Cermak bus route coming from North Riverside Mall back in Nov 2015. Good ol times. CTA bring them back to Kedzie. Those buses rock to me they do

10 hours ago, ChiTown said:

Do you think sometime before 2017 ends or sometime in 2018 some of the NF buses from #1000-#1429 would make a comeback to Kedzie garage? I remember riding #1214 NF bus on the #21 Cermak bus route coming from North Riverside Mall back in Nov 2015. Good ol times. CTA bring them back to Kedzie. Those buses rock to me they do

Anything's possible, but given that CTA has shown it wants to keep the lower blocks together, unlikely. Besides, other than 1630 up being lighter weight, I don't see what the difference is.

14 hours ago, ChiTown said:

#1226 does rock just like a boat. Give it a ride in the back and you'll see what I mean.

On 10/12/2017 at 12:13 PM, ThirdRailVision said:

There's 4-car train running backwards and forwards on the NSML, southbound purple line track (track 1?) between Sheridan Rd. in Rogers Park and some point further south. Any ideas why the strange movement? Training purposes? Video attached. 

IMG_7613.MOV

By any chance did you get a look at the run number?

I was on a southbound #3 King Dr bus yesterday [I boarded at Washington and Michigan]. I think the vehicle was a New Flyer bus no. 1301.

At Roosevelt the driver lowered the bus for a rider with a stroller to board. It seemed that instead of just the front lowering the whole right side of the bus lowered. After the rider

got on the bus we continued south with the right side apparently still lowered. I exited at 31st street and the bus looked like it was still lowered on that side (which made for a very uncomfortable ride on the door side of the bus). :( Did the driver just goof or did the bus need to go into the shop for repairs?

4 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

I was on a southbound #3 King Dr bus yesterday [I boarded at Washington and Michigan]. I think the vehicle was a New Flyer bus no. 1301.

At Roosevelt the driver lowered the bus for a rider with a stroller to board. It seemed that instead of just the front lowering the whole right side of the bus lowered. After the rider

got on the bus we continued south with the right side apparently still lowered. I exited at 31st street and the bus looked like it was still lowered on that side (which made for a very uncomfortable ride on the door side of the bus). :( Did the driver just goof or did the bus need to go into the shop for repairs?

If only the right front was lowered I would say the driver goofed.  But since the entire right side was lowered, that sounds like an airbag issue or leveling valve issue.  Either way that bus must go in for repairs

On 10/26/2017 at 6:14 AM, artthouwill said:

If only the right front was lowered I would say the driver goofed.  But since the entire right side was lowered, that sounds like an airbag issue or leveling valve issue.  Either way that bus must go in for repairs

Idk I've seen a lot of buses lower the whole right side instead of the front but happens more with artics

11 minutes ago, Ajdin Tabucic said:

Yea I was at Chicago garage the other day and the code on the flyers were C and the novas were 5

That's sort of interesting, in that the stickers and run boxes don't match on the Flyers.

12 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

74th carrying over "6"

Of course, "7" was already taken, by 77th.

I suppose that 74th could have been Wood or Wolcott garage, allowing a W code. If you want to go back to when the garage codes were first assigned (about 1973), I couldn't figure out why North and Cicero wasn't Cicero and North, allowing the use of the C code and North Park to have N. Then when North and Cicero became Chicago, the C would have already been in place. We noted before that C was not used because the first roll in the run box didn't have it, but eventually it did.

6 minutes ago, Ajdin Tabucic said:

Does anyone know why 1379-1385 are at forest glen and if they are going to permanently assigned there 

I'm pretty sure that was part of the swap so that the plastic seat insert test could be done in other parts of the city, when 8200-8235 went to other garages for that purpose. If not, to cover some other shortage.

3 hours ago, Ajdin Tabucic said:

Oh so I’m guessing 1379-1385 are permanent at forest glen

4 hours ago, Ajdin Tabucic said:

Yea I was at Chicago garage the other day and the code on the flyers were C and the novas were 5

Wait so are you saying 1000's are now showing Cxxx as a garage code vs 5XXX?  I'm definitely gonna check that out later when I stage up downtown

4 hours ago, Busjack said:

I'm pretty sure that was part of the swap so that the plastic seat insert test could be done in other parts of the city, when 8200-8235 went to other garages for that purpose. If not, to cover some other shortage.

1379-1385 moved from Chicago in September 2017 as part of the relocations for the fall pick.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ajdin Tabucic said:

1000-1004 went to Chicago and then came back with 1379-1385 2 months ago and the Garage Code For Chicago Is C idk why they have C And 5 but what do u mean by Cxxx And 5xxx

In other words if I look at the run number box on a new flyer is it gonna start with a C or a 5? CXXX or 5XXX representing the 4 digits in the box

2 hours ago, Ajdin Tabucic said:

Oh but how come they don’t both don’t start with C rather then 5 because the garage sticker is C on both buses 

Because what's in the run box is what's programmed into the scheduling and Clever Devices systems, which is always 5. About the only public indication of it being in the Clever Device is when the ADA system announces the run number.

I'm not sure what use the sticker has,but it doesn't seem to be to maintain schedule information.

If you want a similar inconsistency, the garage code in the run number for 103rd is 1,but at least at one time, the sticker was 03.

For the run number assignments, see the Garages page of chicagobus.org and click on a garage. For instance, all the run numbers for Chicago garage start with 5,* not C.

*I don't know what happened to 54B, unless it is a mistake on that list, as 6400s are 49.

15 minutes ago, Ajdin Tabucic said:

Yea I was looking at the runs right now why does 54B South Cicero start with 6

I sent @garmon757 a message asking to check if it is a mistake.

15 minutes ago, Ajdin Tabucic said:

do you know if Forest Glen will always be an open garage or will they build a building like Chicago garage has a building 

About 15 years ago, there was something in the capital plan about replacing the approximately 45-50 year old FG and NP garages, as well as the about 90 year old A and 77th garages. Nothing ever happened, and FG and 77th got new lifts. Now we are dealing with the approximately 55-60 year old FG and NP garages and 115 year old 77th (Archer having been demolished). Besides lack of capital funds to build any garage since the 1990s, I'm sure the issue on the north side is inability to find sufficient land. The indication that FG isn't going anywhere is that CTA bought a couple of properties adjoining it, but the last I looked (about a year ago), didn't even demolish the buildings.

22 minutes ago, Ajdin Tabucic said:

There is a abandoned building right by FG but the buses don’t use it ever 

The building wasn't supposed to be used, but the fence has signs on it from the city building department that CTA is responsible for the building.

2 hours ago, Ajdin Tabucic said:

Yea I was looking at the runs right now why does 54B South Cicero start with 6 wouldn’t 6 be 74 or 77 garage but this Chicago garage thing really got me and do you know if Forest Glen will always be an open garage or will they build a building like Chicago garage has a building 

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

I sent @garmon757 a message asking to check if it is a mistake.

It was indeed a mistake. I don't know how that happened but it has been fixed. Thanks for the heads up. Having 74th runs wouldn't be a bad idea though. B|

33 minutes ago, Ajdin Tabucic said:

What does it take to put me as moderator 

It would take approval by @Kevin, but with 16 posts, you don't look like you have the experience for the job.

As stated on chicagobus.org, Stanley Garmon has the responsibility for maintaining it.

• Upvote 1