More Bus Moves

sw4400

3 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

Those buses been over here at 74th for like a yr now lol since the last swapocalypse.

I think you misread me there. I'm saying they appear to have moved BACK to NP FROM 74th in the past week as part of the winter pick transition of services. Both sightings were on NP runs including my ride on 1405 on the X49 Wednesday morning. After I made it to Foster. It pulled into the Berwyn terminal and immediately headed to North Park garage. And the 136 is obviously one of NP's routes. So my ride in 1406 on that route yesterday evening looks to be further evidence to the possibility that 74th may have given up a few 1400s to NP for winter pick.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2017 at 2:37 AM, YoungBusLover said:

Has voith or allison transmissions been implemented in some of the older #1000's lately or is it just a unique gearing of the zf?

No this is just some odd thing with the gearing in the transmission that used to be heard in some of the MAN 4000s, the TMC 4400s, and the Flxible 6000s. I actually encountered this once on 1869 on the X9 back when 74th garage had 1800s assigned and when New Flyers still ran regularly on Ashland. The maintenance crews at 74th had it corrected within a couple of days. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2017 at 6:39 AM, artthouwill said:

Hegewisch is a community on the far southeasternmost corner of the city.  It's eastern border is Hammond, Indiana.  The Hegewisch station is near 137th and Brainerd Ave.  Brainerd starts at 130th just east of Torrance and runs southeast parallel  to the NICTD tracks.  Past Burnham Ave, it runs through Burnham Illinois before turning east into Hammond, becoming Gostlin.

134th St runs through Hegewisch into zHammond.

The 30 S Chicago runs through the community and ends/begins trips at the Hegewisch Metra (South Shore/NICTD) station.

I've heard of Hegewisch; I was just poking fun at the typo.

Don't know what was up at fg today. First I see wb1 going up there then I see the community bus coming south. Truck #270 was up there too but didnt carry a bus into or out of the yard. Btw i saw wb1 pulling out from under the elevated ns structure at Irving south to west last week. Maybe something to do with Wilson but it's done. I saw the Sunnyside entrance a few weeks ago so your guess is as good as mine.

On 12/30/2017 at 3:54 PM, jajuan said:

I think you misread me there. I'm saying they appear to have moved BACK to NP FROM 74th in the past week as part of the winter pick transition of services. Both sightings were on NP runs including my ride on 1405 on the X49 Wednesday morning. After I made it to Foster. It pulled into the Berwyn terminal and immediately headed to North Park garage. And the 136 is obviously one of NP's routes. So my ride in 1406 on that route yesterday evening looks to be further evidence to the possibility that 74th may have given up a few 1400s to NP for winter pick.

You're right I definitely misread it my apologies ??.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tony Metoyer said:

1000-1025 are permanent at forest glen so are 1552-1563 1590-1593 1753-1761, 1763 1799-1800 And 1379-1386 but 1386 haven’t been on tracker for 2 months now they are all new Flyers at forest glen so are 1746 and 1595-1596

Chicago has 1366-1369, 1371-72, and 1374-78. That’s what I meant 

43 minutes ago, ajm522 said:

Not sure if this is any move related but Chicago has no 1000 series busses out today. Just Novas. 

Nothing moved. Just a sign that Sunday service is small enough compared to a weekday that Chicago can get away with using all or mostly Novas on its routes that have Sunday service hours.

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

Some freaky stuff lately, but this one takes the cake: Man threw some fluid on woman, then lit it (apparently paint thinner) on some chairs and a police officer's shoes, allegedly causing $10K in damage (Tribune).

Oh, that's what it was. There was a series of videos on Facebook of the train after the whole mess. The affected car still had smoke coming out of it, and the guy who started the whole thing was on the ground and had a pile of officers on him on the platform. I believe the train operator either walked by, or was being interviewed by officers. In addition there was an officer sitting on a platform bench, with other officers apparently comforting him. Now it makes more sense.

Edit: The videos are also on Youtube.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2018 at 4:40 PM, ajm522 said:

I guess due to the weather, there are no artics running today. As a result, 103rd looks to be short and is borrowing busses from 74th and 77th. Northpark and Kedzie looks to be fine. 

That extended into today (Sunday). Kedzie, 103rd and North Park had no artics out once again. Obviously it was easy to do being the weekend and less routes in service. They had to risk it though on Friday during the full brunt of the storm. The artic I was riding on the 22 early Friday morning had to move really slow because with snow still being on the pavement at different spots, even at lower speeds you could visibly see and feel the back end of the bus slide to the right as the bus moved forward and fought to maintain traction on the road surface. It's a good thing there were little to no parked cars on the road and that the bus moved slow enough that this did not become a huge problem. I'd have to say that given the road conditions the operator handled the bus quite well under the circumstances.

• Upvote 1

{This is also a test of the forum's new software.} Something is afoot at the Authority's Chicago Garage. Over the last (5-8?) weeks, a concerted effort has been made to have New Nova (7900-8324) buses maintain all service on route #54 Cicero (and by extension, #54B South Cicero).

(There are exceptions - but they seem to confine to Saturday and Sunday service.)

I do not know why. This though, seems to be similar to what the Authority is doing on route #9 (and #X9) Ashland. Since, as numerous other threads here on Chitransit inform us that Bus Rapid Transit on Ashland is dead, dead, dead, why is Ashland being run with only New Nova buses? Is a test of Transit Signal Priority (TSP) continuing on Ashland?

Is a test of TSP occurring on Cicero Avenue?

Could this be a sign that an express bus route (#X54) might get another shot on Cicero?

The clarion signal to me is that a populous route from Chicago garage, #20 Madison, seemingly does not get many New Novas assigned | allowed on its runs. If the imprimatur is to run the New Novas primarily on routes with high(er) ridership, #20 would get all New Novas before #54.

Lucidly, we need somebody in middle management stationed @ Chicago Garage to inform us here of the circumstance.

* = To prevent my haters here on the forum from rubbing in my face a spot where my postulate falters; here is an image of a New Flyer bus [#1430] running northbound on route #X9. But then, we don't have anybody in middle management at 74th St. Garage to explain how this happened either.

Pudgym I would say that the newer buses are more plentiful on the weekend due to less runs. How many older NFs are on madison. The whole street, half? Maybe the NFs have more seats and can handle more passenger volume. 

If someone wants to answer my question. Why are 17 year old #6400"s running on the weekend? Now I understand in the summer as the A.C. on those #7900's is terrible.