More Bus Moves

sw4400

On 10/22/2017 at 7:58 AM, Busjack said:

Anything's possible, but given that CTA has shown it wants to keep the lower blocks together, unlikely. Besides, other than 1630 up being lighter weight, I don't see what the difference is.

I think he's getting at the distinction that in general 1000-1629 having ISM engines and 1630 and up having ISL engines along with the further distinction that 1000-1429 have their ISM engines coupled to ZF 592C transmissions giving them a meaner growl to their engines if you will which is why I think he's wishing for buses out of that group being at Kedzie again. 1430-1929 have ZF 594C transmissions and 1930-2029 Allison transmissions. Getting back on track though, Kedzie does have buses in the 1560s -1629 range, so that should be some small comfort because they are still in the ISM group even if having a ZF 594C tranny quiets the growl of the engine some. Outside what FG and NP both have from that block, like you said CTA bus operations has show it wants to keep the 1000-1429 buses assigned primarily to the South Side garages. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/3/2017 at 8:46 AM, Busjack said:

Looks like a bus needs to be sanitized (Tribune).

Wow. And of course in a sign of the times, other passengers were using their phones to record the attack rather than dial 911 and report it or try to get the bus operator's attention for that matter. 

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

Wow. And of course in a sign of the times, other passengers were using their phones to record the attack rather than dial 911 and report it or try to get the bus operator's attention for that matter. 

But now there is plenty prerecorded evidence.

Nowadays you could get sued trying to break up an attackshould the victim suffer a major or fatalwound while one is trying to subdue the attacker.  Only in the USA.

52 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

But now there is plenty prerecorded evidence.

Nowadays you could get sued trying to break up an attackshould the victim suffer a major or fatalwound while one is trying to subdue the attacker.  Only in the USA.

Good Samaritan laws and the Rescue Doctrine usually prevent that from being successful. 

On 11/29/2017 at 2:38 AM, pudgym29 said:

Since when BustRacker errs, it is usually there is a bus on the route but it is not being displayed; you would think this would be the method that when TrainTracker errs, it would omit a train in service.

So how does the Authority explain this display? bdfecf4c47dd.jpg The station, date, and time are all accurate. Where does it think those trains are coming from? O.o 

When I'm waiting for a SB 147 at Devon/Broadway, multiple Bus Tracker apps have often listed a non-existent bus as coming in 2 minutes & then it just disappears from the phone app.  I have no idea why that happens.

1 hour ago, strictures said:

When I'm waiting for a SB 147 at Devon/Broadway, multiple Bus Tracker apps have often listed a non-existent bus as coming in 2 minutes & then it just disappears from the phone app.  I have no idea why that happens.

Similar situations happen at Franklin/Jackson for those waiting for any of the NB La Salle expresses. The buses disappear from the Tracker and don't come, or a bus that was supposed to be several buses behind on that individual route shows up instead.

22 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

I wonder if that happens to me, are they going to call me a “package”, despite myself being an employee? B|

• You hadn't said that you were hired.
  • Employees are supposed to know their way around the yard.

Reminds me of when some railfan in Paris rode one of the automated subway trains to the end of the line, where the train proceeds to a turnaround and storage track after letting the last passengers off, switches tracks, and picks up passengers at the other platform. He decided to film the turnaround move and stayed on board. Turns out the train was programmed to actually leave service there, and once it arrived at the end track, it stopped and began its shutdown process, scaring the crap out of the railfan. I’m assuming he pushed some call button, but he got out and posted the video to YouTube. :P

On 11/30/2017 at 9:42 AM, jajuan said:

Outside what FG and NP both have from that block, like you said CTA bus operations has show it wants to keep the 1000-1429 buses assigned primarily to the South Side garages. 

Don’t forget that Chicago has some buses in the 1300s. For now.

7 minutes ago, KedziePink said:

Never heard of Gegewisch before 

It was the inspiration for a call to the Spiegel and Parkins Voice Mail that "the Bears stink worse than 130th and the Bishop Ford."

Actually, about 115th smelled worse when Sherwin Williams was there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2017 at 2:04 PM, KedziePink said:

Never heard of Gegewisch before xD

IMG_8295.PNG

Hegewisch is a community on the far southeasternmost corner of the city.  It's eastern border is Hammond, Indiana.  The Hegewisch station is near 137th and Brainerd Ave.  Brainerd starts at 130th just east of Torrance and runs southeast parallel  to the NICTD tracks.  Past Burnham Ave, it runs through Burnham Illinois before turning east into Hammond, becoming Gostlin.

134th St runs through Hegewisch into zHammond.

The 30 S Chicago runs through the community and ends/begins trips at the Hegewisch Metra (South Shore/NICTD) station.