More Bus Moves

sw4400

Maybe its just me but when did they start powerwashing the blue line kennedy express platforms? They do this at 5 in the morning as I'm riding then. They were doing Irving pk and it looks beautiful. The tactile edge has no grime on it at all. It looks new. The platform is very clean. Now why didnt they do this before? I dont think they can powerwash wood platforms but very few are wood now. Just Sheridan red line or a few green line stations. I sure hope they are doing stations that need it. Like a few have a lot of people relieving themselves. This was twice now in two or 3 weeks I saw the irving pk crew. 

23 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Maybe its just me but when did they start powerwashing the blue line kennedy express platforms? They do this at 5 in the morning as I'm riding then. They were doing Irving pk and it looks beautiful. The tactile edge has no grime on it at all. It looks new. The platform is very clean. Now why didnt they do this before? I dont think they can powerwash wood platforms but very few are wood now. Just Sheridan red line or a few green line stations. I sure hope they are doing stations that need it. Like a few have a lot of people relieving themselves. This was twice now in two or 3 weeks I saw the irving pk crew. 

I've  seen crews powerwash at Roosevelt at the stationhouse and the elevated platform at 4:30 in the  morning on my way to work.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I've  seen crews powerwash at Roosevelt at the stationhouse and the elevated platform at 4:30 in the  morning on my way to work.

I wonder is it just specific stations or what? How come I'm not seeing them clean Montrose/Blue although it was very clean too. Jeff Pk looks really run down lately hopefully they can hurry up with it's rehab. It sounds like it will be really nice with the glass canopies in the bus terminal. Hopefully they can replace the train platform. I'm also interested in this Belmont/blue rehab. I wonder why there are no platform renderings. The station would look much better with some LED lighting. I've always been a fan of the acoustical panels in the subway but i don't know how that would look in the kimball subway. it needs some kind of modernization as it seems to be showing it's age lately.

7 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I wonder is it just specific stations or what? How come I'm not seeing them clean Montrose/Blue although it was very clean too. Jeff Pk looks really run down lately hopefully they can hurry up with it's rehab. It sounds like it will be really nice with the glass canopies in the bus terminal. Hopefully they can replace the train platform. I'm also interested in this Belmont/blue rehab. I wonder why there are no platform renderings. The station would look much better with some LED lighting. I've always been a fan of the acoustical panels in the subway but i don't know how that would look in the kimball subway. it needs some kind of modernization as it seems to be showing it's age lately.

Kimball Subway? Am I missing something? I didn't recall of any Brown Line extensions in the works....

1 hour ago, sw4400 said:

Kimball Subway? Am I missing something? I didn't recall of any Brown Line extensions in the works....

Haha.  That's  funny.  The O'Hare branch of the  Blue Line has a subway with  2 stations, Logan Square and Belmont.  Proceeding North from Logan Square, the subway runs under Kimball to Belmont.  After Belmont,  the subway  curves NW  to join the  Kennedy Expressway.  

• Upvote 1

Hey my dentist has an office right over the Kimball subway and when the train passes you can hear it pass. Sometimes the building seems to vibrate or maybe that is just the drill he is using. :P See you can multitask, if your a real train buff. You can get your teeth fixed and listen to trains at the same time!! :D Now just don't hear any #4000 whistles or I'll be jumping out of the chair.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Ok.... now I know what you meant.... the Kimball Subway. I was thinking a extension further west on the Brown Line past Kimball.

Then it wouldn't be Kimball. It might be the Leland Subway, if Elon Musk can get his boring machine there. I don't think one was proposed to Von Steuben HS.

Hey CTA riders, 

I'm working with a team on a school project about the CTA. We are trying to figure out the goals, needs, frustrations and challenges for riders of the CTA. Could you help us out by taking this short survey? It's completely anonymous and the data will not be shared outside of the classroom. The survey itself should take less than 5 minutes.

We'd really appreciate it! Thanks in advance. 

https://goo.gl/forms/o7pdWZG4MjoUyKRZ2

17 hours ago, Stephanie09 said:

We are trying to figure out the goals, needs, frustrations and challenges for riders of the CTA.

If anyone wants to go in this direction, there is a Sun-Times investigation that crime is up 90% on the CTA,

Then there was the report last night that a 71 bus had to swerve to avoid gun fire (should have said St. Lawrence, not Lawrence).

• 2 weeks later...

When I was in San Francisco, the MUNI Metro, had a Streetcar Line called the F Line. And I saw one of the coolest things ever! I found an old CTA Streetcar #1058 Green Hornet on the line! This Line was meant to bring retired Streetcars from around the world, and put it on to one line. Other cities included Detroit, Cleveland, Los Angeles, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Mexico City, and Milan, Italy.

Image Credit (My Instagram)

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 5.43.39 PM.png

On 7/24/2017 at 9:55 PM, sw4400 said:

Ok.... now I know what you meant.... the Kimball Subway. I was thinking a extension further west on the Brown Line past Kimball.

You know what would be a good extension on the Brown Line? A western extension on Lawrence to the Jefferson Park Transit Center. This way people from Albany Park, Lincoln Square, Uptown, and Ravenswood can get easier access to O'Hare by connecting to the Blue Line!

5 minutes ago, TransitXan17 said:

You know what would be a good extension on the Brown Line? A western extension on Lawrence to the Jefferson Park Transit Center. This way people from Albany Park, Lincoln Square, Uptown, and Ravenswood can get easier access to O'Hare by connecting to the Blue Line!

Theoretically, yes, but what's the cost of boring an approximately 2 mile tunnel under Lawrence Ave.?

Among that, the proposal for the Mid City Line, and extending the Yellow Line from Oakton to Jefferson Park, I couldn't figure out how all those lines were to have a junction with a line in a very narrow median of an expressway. Not that any of them would be built.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Theoretically, yes, but what's the cost of boring an approximately 2 mile tunnel under Lawrence Ave.?

Among that, the proposal for the Mid City Line, and extending the Yellow Line from Oakton to Jefferson Park, I couldn't figure out how all those lines were to have a junction with a line in a very narrow median of an expressway. Not that any of them would be built.

Probably the only thing they could really do cheaply is make the #81 a limited bus or have BRT services but what would you do with all the Lawrence parking? If you did like they did on Cicero and bought a few properties, they could build parking lots to park in. (Hmm... hint hint) :P If Pace can ever get off the ground floor with it's Pulse service it could wipe the floor with CTA's BRT idea, that is basically a concept. :P

7 hours ago, TransitXan17 said:

When I was in San Francisco, the MUNI Metro, had a Streetcar Line called the F Line. And I saw one of the coolest things ever! I found an old CTA Streetcar #1058 Green Hornet on the line! This Line was meant to bring retired Streetcars from around the world, and put it on to one line. Other cities included Detroit, Cleveland, Los Angeles, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Mexico City, and Milan, Italy.

Image Credit (My Instagram)

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 5.43.39 PM.png

Most of the domestic postwar streetcars in F service, like 1058, came from Philadelphia's SEPTA (SouthEast Pennsylvania Transit Authority).  They've all been repainted in the historical colors of other urban transit systems from all across the nation, including the CTA's.

12 hours ago, wordguy said:

Most of the domestic postwar streetcars in F service, like 1058, came from Philadelphia's SEPTA (SouthEast Pennsylvania Transit Authority).  They've all been repainted in the historical colors of other urban transit systems from all across the nation, including the CTA's.

Do you board at the rear door & pay a conductor, or is it just a motorman at the front? Does it still have all three doors, as the Green Hornets were the only PCC cars to have that & they were also offset on their trucks, so they could pass each other on some narrow Chicago streets.

10 minutes ago, strictures said:

Do you board at the rear door & pay a conductor, or is it just a motorman at the front? Does it still have all three doors, as the Green Hornets were the only PCC cars to have that & they were also offset on their trucks, so they could pass each other on some narrow Chicago streets.

I think you missed @wordguy's point that it was a SEPTA car, painted in various liveries, including CTA. Similarly, the Kenosha cars, including the one in this paint scheme, are Toronto cars.

The only way one is going to get to ride a Green Hornet with a rear entrance door is if IRM hauls 4391 out. 570 were scrapped to be converted into 6200 series and 1-50 L cars, and pretty much anything else what was left was scrapped in conversion experiments or just plain scrapped.

9 hours ago, Busjack said:

I think you missed @wordguy's point that it was a SEPTA car, painted in various liveries, including CTA. Similarly, the Kenosha cars, including the one in this paint scheme, are Toronto cars.

The only way one is going to get to ride a Green Hornet with a rear entrance door is if IRM hauls 4391 out. 570 were scrapped to be converted into 6200 series and 1-50 L cars, and pretty much anything else what was left was scrapped in conversion experiments or just plain scrapped.

It is too bad Market Street Railway did not have enough ex-SF Muni double-ended cars to paint one of them in CTA's colors.

8 hours ago, rvwnsd said:

It is too bad Market Street Railway did not have enough ex-SF Muni double-ended cars to paint one of them in CTA's colors.

I'm surprised at that, as SF supposedly had the newest PCC cars. However, SEPTA and Pittsburgh kept remanufacturing theirs.

!!!*Breaking News*!!!

Reports coming in about a CTA Bus evacuated due to a person throwing a backpack into a closing door, yelling something(reports say Arabic) and leaving. Bus is evacuated and everyone moved away. Level 1 Hazmat called in with Bomb & Arson. Everyone moved away from scene...

Update: Suspect had escaped in a white sedan driven by a female from the scene. Gym bag was thrown onto the bus containing water, causing utter panic. Hopefully, this sick individual is found and jailed! >:(

Bus #1630

Link(ABC7)

Link(WGN-TV)

• 2 weeks later...

A few post-Labor-Day equipment transfers to report, all from Chicago Ave. to either Forest Glen or Kedzie:

1000-1004 C to F.   Someone already updated this one.

1380(?)-1385 C to F also.  1377 still at C, but not sure about 1378-79.

1835-1839 C to K.

An additional move: Migration of 2 or 3 buses from North Park to Kedzie:

1842 & 1846.  (Uncertain about 1847.  1848 remains at NP.)

(Source: Math22's roster of buses in real-time service.)