More Bus Moves

sw4400

5 hours ago, patman119 said:

1386-1391 got moved to North Park.

With the transfer of 1000-1004 and 1026-1030, FG needs to get something back. The expanded NF fleet was helping them to cover service, as the 6400's, though still operating, are getting a little tired and are more prone to mechanical failures, forcing them from service and causing backups and gaps. Even if this is for summer service(4th of July, Air & Water Show, etc....), there needs to be a reliable fleet here. Bringing 8200-8235 back to FG will replace the gap from the transferring NF's and allow for a reliable fleet to work with the 6400's.

Only other option if they are going with 6400's and 8236-8324 only at FG if they take most or all of the NF's and not replace them with the 8200's split up and given out is give them a life-extending overhaul, but that would be fruitless labor and cost-wise as in the next 2-3 years, they'll be all retired I'm sure.

30 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

With the transfer of 1000-1004 and 1026-1030, FG needs to get something back.

30 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

Even if this is for summer service(4th of July, Air & Water Show, etc....)

Which together, appear to explain it. School's out, and they need more service for North Ave. beach, and Fullerton and Diversey  for near the zoo.

3 hours ago, sw4400 said:

With the transfer of 1000-1004 and 1026-1030, FG needs to get something back. The expanded NF fleet was helping them to cover service, as the 6400's, though still operating, are getting a little tired and are more prone to mechanical failures, forcing them from service and causing backups and gaps. Even if this is for summer service(4th of July, Air & Water Show, etc....), there needs to be a reliable fleet here. Bringing 8200-8235 back to FG will replace the gap from the transferring NF's and allow for a reliable fleet to work with the 6400's.

Only other option if they are going with 6400's and 8236-8324 only at FG if they take most or all of the NF's and not replace them with the 8200's split up and given out is give them a life-extending overhaul, but that would be fruitless labor and cost-wise as in the next 2-3 years, they'll be all retired I'm sure.

They probably won't take all the fg nf's. They probably took what they wanted already. There's a possibility the experimental #8200's will come back to fg, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Why 74th needs more buses for summer i dont understand as they are not serving the lakefront directly other than on its own routes. 

Sun-Times article that someone was charged with sticking post it notes on girls with indecent propositions. The random CTA point is that one was on a CTA bus, and "Surveillance video from the bus showed Grigoletti sticking the note to the teen’s leg as he walked past her as he got off the bus" the Assistant State's Attorney said,

16 hours ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

I saw this a couple of minutes ago on Sheridan and Foster, and I'm wondering when does the #147 ever terminate at Morse Red Line...? Thoughts?

IMG_8488.JPG

I've been living in Rogers Park since the fall of 1979 and that is the 1st I've see that destination on a 147. it seems so close to the Howard terminal that I wonder why stop at Morse.

808, 6755 and 6758 seem to be missing from the active buses. All three where in service last week.

What happened to 7900? It has not appeared on Maths22 tracker since June 2016, and does not appear in the list at all.

1821 has not been active since early March 2017. I do not know what has happened to it.

24 minutes ago, busfan2847 said:

What happened to 7900? It has not appeared on Maths22 tracker since June 2016, and does not appear in the list at all.

I had thought that someone at CTA couldn't count with 424 of series 7900-8324, but you are correct that 77th shows 7901-7999, and it isn't on the LTH list.

I was going to guess something about demonstrators, but CTA did order 425 buses. The old 2 #1000s conundrum?

On 6/22/2017 at 0:27 PM, RJL6000 said:

Actually, that's 1386-1391.

And 74th and Chicago still have the hard-seat-onsert 8200s (8200-8211 and 8224-8235 at C, 8212-8223 at 74th) in their rosters.

1386 is currently on the 84 Peterson, so I am assuming it is now out of Forest Glen.

23 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I wonder what happened to the original mechanics #7900 bus?

If you're saying there was one prior to the bus pictured in front of the Taj CTA Mahal in our gallery, there isn't any proof of that. The depicted bus was the prototype. If Andre is correct, that gets down to whether CTA is owed another 7900.

Since I don't have the VIN list, I can't further comment.

The list Andre posted did have 4300 as a long term hold.

On 6/22/2017 at 0:44 PM, Busjack said:

Which together, appear to explain it. School's out, and they need more service for North Ave. beach, and Fullerton and Diversey  for near the zoo.

You beat me to the point about summer time daily beach service on North Avenue. But it also explains the observation that 1026-1030 moved to 74th from 103rd, and not from FG to Chicago as erroneously first reported meaning FG only lost five buses just as 74th did. Beach service expanded to daily on the #63. As you noted, school is out and bus service at both 103rd and FG tends to be lighter in the summer, which is why they always lose buses in summer pick each year and gain them back a few months later during the fall pick. Suffice it to say, we've seen this before in previous years making it nothing new.

15 hours ago, Busjack said:

If you're saying there was one prior to the bus pictured in front of the Taj CTA Mahal in our gallery, there isn't any proof of that. The depicted bus was the prototype. If Andre is correct, that gets down to whether CTA is owed another 7900.

Since I don't have the VIN list, I can't further comment.

The list Andre posted did have 4300 as a long term hold.

Well how did they ever train mechanics without one? Usually those buses get stripped down to the bare essentials as they mock fix all the parts. There's always a mechanics bus.