More Bus Moves

sw4400

8 minutes ago, Busjack said:

This smells like some sort of database error, rather than the commenter's, so I so reported it to the administrators.

5 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Just before the link was fixed, I copied and pasted the link in a separate window, and @YoungBusLover was right in how mind boggling the content is.

10 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

I'm just amazed at this.

Now that it's fixed, the only thing unusual is that there is a Starbucks on 47th St., but it was at Cicero.

I don't see what the photographer's big deal was, as the bus was legally in the left turn lane and the bus driver isn't able to see if someone is behind him.

3 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

The uploader seems to be blaming the bus driver for not backing up, but the problem is the truck driver's inability to judge whether and how he should turn.

Also whether someone should be driving a double trailer in the city, except to get to I-55.

2 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Now that it's fixed, the only thing unusual is that there is a Starbucks on 47th St., but it was at Cicero.

I don't see what the photographer's big deal was, as the bus was legally in the left turn lane and the bus driver isn't able to see if someone is behind him.

I'm guessing the question that came across the photographer's mind is though the bus was legally in the left turn lane, could the operator of the bus have safely reversed the bus enough to allow the truck to complete its turn rather than stare the truck driver down for close to 3 minutes with both of them causing surrounding traffic to do unsafe maneuvers to get around them while they both faced off. I would say though the trucker did appear to cause the situation considering he did have cars passing to his right before he finally maneuvered out of the bus's way so that the bus could complete its left turn. 

There's hopefully a logical reason for this....... I don't know what, if any, there is. Only someone familiar with CTA operations will know.....

• Does the CTA actually get some computer report from the vehicles when a bus is put into "R" and they then question and possibly discipline the driver from using reverse? Is it restricted from use unless in dire situations like a no-other-option scenario, or if the bus is stuck in snow, requiring rocking to try to get the bus moving again?

I guess only someone with CTA experience as a Bus Operator will be able to answer this, though.....

37 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

Does the CTA actually get some computer report from the vehicles when a bus is put into "R" and they then question and possibly discipline the driver from using reverse?

It may be more self-actuating, i.e. if there isn't someone directing the driver while backing up and he/she hits a car behind him/her, heads will roll.

The best thing to do at certain intersections that are known for large vehicle turns is to NOT pull all the way up to the intersection,  especially if you don't have the Green light.   This alone will allow trucks and buses to turn easily and eliminates the need for a bus or truck to back up.  I've done it before with no problems.   Usually car drivers don't think about it at all,  but it should be second nature to  commercial vehicle operators. 

It wouldn't hurt to have a white stripe in the turn lane that is further back from the intersection to let left turning vehicles know where they should stop.

8 hours ago, sw4400 said:

There's hopefully a logical reason for this....... I don't know what, if any, there is. Only someone familiar with CTA operations will know.....

• Does the CTA actually get some computer report from the vehicles when a bus is put into "R" and they then question and possibly discipline the driver from using reverse? Is it restricted from use unless in dire situations like a no-other-option scenario, or if the bus is stuck in snow, requiring rocking to try to get the bus moving again?

I guess only someone with CTA experience as a Bus Operator will be able to answer this, though.....

I believe it was said before that CTA bus operators are not allowed to reverse while passengers are on board. I can't answer your question of whether the bus is equipped with an event recorder that would potentially allow an operator to get in trouble for reversing. However, I doubt that putting the bus in reverse would trigger some kind of alert that management would see.

5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The best thing to do at certain intersections that are known for large vehicle turns is to NOT pull all the way up to the intersection,

Of course, the next question is whether the traffic signal has a detector loop, in which case if the vehicle doesn't stop on it, the green arrow will never show. For instance, my father used to stop well back of the stripe, and wondered why he never got an arrow and drivers behind him were honking.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Of course, the next question is whether the traffic signal has a detector loop, in which case if the vehicle doesn't stop on it, the green arrow will never show. For instance, my father used to stop well back of the stripe, and wondered why he never got an arrow and drivers behind him were honking.

What happened to your father certainly is true in the suburbs,  but city intersections have timed cycles so generally not getting an arrow wouldn't be a problem.  

I did approach a Bus Operator tonight at work and asked them about reversing the bus, and the Operator told me they are not permitted to put the bus in reverse, that the vehicles must navigate around the bus. I didn't go into much more than that with the Operator, but that's what I was told. I did explain the video and how the semi-truck was trying to make a turn with the bus in the turn lane, Operator again said the semi must navigate around the bus.

I seen 2 1900's at 74th last night. 1919 was on the 49 and was also my leader so I looked at the run number to double check before she pulled off from Berwyn to head back south and 1905 was at the garage when I pulled in. It's probably nothing but in case it is something I wanted to let you guys know lol.

18 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

I seen 2 1900's at 74th last night. 1919 was on the 49 and was also my leader so I looked at the run number to double check before she pulled off from Berwyn to head back south and 1905 was at the garage when I pulled in. It's probably nothing but in case it is something I wanted to let you guys know lol.

1919 is on the #146 Inner Drive / Michigan Express tonight. So it is back at North Park garage.

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

Given it had at least two FG NFs yesterday morning, it seems that may be the case. And it would seem to be short on 40 footers from the looks of it.

They must be short quite a bit because I've seen more of Chicago Garage buses at North Park. So far yesterday and today, I've seen 1940, 1948, 1955, 1999, 2003, and 2006 on their routes.

I also noticed 1925 on the 4. 

2 hours ago, patman119 said:

They must be short quite a bit because I've seen more of Chicago Garage buses at North Park. So far yesterday and today, I've seen 1940, 1948, 1955, 1999, 2003, and 2006 on their routes.

I also noticed 1925 on the 4. 

Yeah for some odd reason they are. 1925 must of been 77th/SS just using whatever they had on hand. 

On this week's Ask This Old House, Tom heads to Chicago to transform a one-car garage into a carpentry workshop.Turns out it is Stephanie, who takes the Brown Line to work, so she uses the garage for something else. Not explained why she didn't call Tommy Mac to build a 2 story workshop in her back yard.

On 12/30/2016 at 9:35 PM, Busjack said:

While Chicago installs loop detectors at many signalized intersections, they're rarely used, unlike every suburb, where they're always used.

There are working detectors at Clark & Devon, they were used for maybe three weeks several years ago, but now they just use the timers to control the lights.

Chicago also disconnects the button for pedestrians to get a walk light to cross the street at almost every street.

The Chicago Department of Traffic Engineering is run by crazy people. Many years ago, an article about the department was in the Tribune. In it, one of the engineers was quoted as saying "we don't believe in left turns", which is one of the looniest things I've ever heard!

16 minutes ago, strictures said:

one of the engineers was quoted as saying "we don't believe in left turns", which is one of the looniest things I've ever heard!

But then that was the basis of the [presumably dead] Ashland BRT.