New Eldorados?

artthouwill

Nice to see some new equipment on the 600 and the 606. The hand -me-downs days are disappearing from these routes.

I don't think those routes got anything different from NW than what the rest of NW gets, given that Colonial operation has been over for quite a while now.

• Upvote 2

I don't think those routes got anything different from NW than what the rest of NW gets, given that Colonial operation has been over for quite a while now.

Historically, while under contractors from CW to Mayflower, Keeshin to Academy (Colonial) all buses were pretty much retreads from other Pace divisions or contractors. Even the Orions (though not from any other division) are at least 10 years old. This is really the first time brand new equipment has been on these routes. It doesn't hurt to have brand new equipment on a route that passes directly by Pace HQ.

• Upvote 2

... It doesn't hurt to have brand new equipment on a route that passes directly by Pace HQ.

Basically, I saw a certain incongruity in HQs being served by a contractor route.

But, as Heather Armstrong pointed out two years ago, she didn't care for route 606 being served by then new 2700s out of River.

Basically, I saw a certain incongruity in HQs being served by a contractor route.

But, as Heather Armstrong pointed out two years ago, she didn't care for route 606 being served by then new 2700s out of River.

I'm still not a fan of the NABI's on that route either, never mind the 2700's.

I'm actually surprised River does any 600/606. A 2600 series Eldo on these routes is just plain wrong. I suppose NW may have capacity issues, but I still see Pace West as a better alternative to River, considering West's 757 also ends in Schaumburg.

But it appears that River has maybe 66% between 600, 606, 610 and 616, now of course beefed up by having the 6385s on 610.

The deadhead from Itasca or Prairie Stone is also less to River.

But it appears that River has maybe 66% between 600, 606, 610 and 616, now of course beefed up by having the 6385s on 610.

The deadhead from Itasca or Prairie Stone is also less to River.

I never questioned 610. According to Googlemaps, the deadhead from the River garage to Itasca Metra is 24.6 miles. The same deadhead from Pace West garage to Itasca Metra is only 10 miles.

It's 19 miles from Pace River to Higgins/Martingale, and 15 miles from Pace West to Higgins/Martinggale. Other than the 610, there is no real advantage River has over West.

I never questioned 610. According to Googlemaps, the deadhead from the River garage to Itasca Metra is 24.6 miles. The same deadhead from Pace West garage to Itasca Metra is only 10 miles.

It's 19 miles from Pace River to Higgins/Martingale, and 15 miles from Pace West to Higgins/Martinggale. Other than the 610, there is no real advantage River has over West.

It seems like both deadheads I mentioned go straight via US 20, and then dip down to get to the garage in South Elgin. Hence, Google routings are not dispositive. When I had to pick up someone at Prairie Stone Sears. the impression I got was that it was a whole lot closer to Elgin than it was to even Hoffman Estates.

I realize that my comparison was to NW, but still it seems like West Garage is more crowded than River, especially since the 35 foot buses were replaced with 30 foot ones. Pace isn't running the I-55 buses out of SW, either, even though the Heritage garage is antiquated and small.

• 2 months later...

Seeing some new Eldo's at North Shore

Actually that's NW. There is a NW run northbound at the Glen Town Center at about 5:10 p.m. that used to be 2700s, but now is either the 6392s or a 6000. However, I have only seen a 6392 series bus once (southbound trip on the same run at about 6:45 p.m.) and it was too dark to pick up its number, but WebWatch said it was 6394.

In the afternoon (after school), 423 is run with 3 NW and 2 NS. The NS buses used to be 2600s, but now are pretty consistently 6600s.

Here's some pictures of #6399. I wonder what happened to the #6400's? I noticed the benches are breaking at Jeff. Pk. , there's another broke across from the one pictured.

post-304-0-51037500-1394814416_thumb.png

post-304-0-69381400-1394814457_thumb.png

They've been having a few problems out at Harlem/Higgins Blue line as well. When it was really cold they had some pipe burst by the platform mezzanine doors and half the platform was roped off there. Now they completely removed a door to the mezzanine/bus bay area. That must be nice when it's cold. I'll see if I can get a picture of that. I tell you these your New Blue crews couldn't get out here soon enough!!

Here's some pictures of #6399. I wonder what happened to the #6400's? I noticed the benches are breaking at Jeff. Pk. , there's another broke across from the one pictured.

attachicon.gifpace 6399.png

attachicon.gifpace 6399a.png

They've been having a few problems out at Harlem/Higgins Blue line as well. When it was really cold they had some pipe burst by the platform mezzanine doors and half the platform was roped off there. Now they completely removed a door to the mezzanine/bus bay area. That must be nice when it's cold. I'll see if I can get a picture of that. I tell you these your New Blue crews couldn't get out here soon enough!!

What happened to the 6400s is the million dollar question. At first I thought the bad weather delayed the transporting of buses from California here, but relatively speaking the weather has been better these last couple of weeks. So I suppose the question goes back to the number of buses we are supposed to get and how many options are to be exercised and when those deliveries are supposed to start. At some point, there are suppose to be deliveries for:

1 ART buses for Milwaukee Ave

2. CNG buses for Pace South

What happened to the 6400s is the million dollar question. At first I thought the bad weather delayed the transporting of buses from California here, but relatively speaking the weather has been better these last couple of weeks. So I suppose the question goes back to the number of buses we are supposed to get and how many options are to be exercised and when those deliveries are supposed to start. At some point, there are suppose to be deliveries for:

1 ART buses for Milwaukee Ave

2. CNG buses for Pace South

On the CNG ones, the contract award has not yet been posted, and, as I noted earlier, Pace literature indicates at least a 7 month delay. There also hasn't been anything posted in the minutes regarding hiring bond counsel and selling bonds, which would be required for the garage upgrades needed to house CNG buses.

I don't know if it is attributable to the bad weather or the Illinois General Assembly, but it seems like all the service boards have taken the winter off, except to make excuses.

On ART, Moving Forward of March 7 says:

Pace also received $9.5 million of Congestion Mitigation Air Quality funding for infrastructure improvements to the portion of Milwaukee Avenue between the Jefferson Park CTA Station and Golf Mill Mall in Niles. Station and bus stop upgrades, real-time information signage and designated lanes and traffic signal optimization to boost speed of service are among the uses of funds.

I don't think anything was said about a separate fleet or a date to get it, other than by us.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

While going by Rosemont today, I noticed a illuminated blue light underneath the fleet number under the run

box on the right hand side of the bus. What is this....Signal Priority active or something else.

It means the driver turned off the retarder.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Seen at the ol' HQ today: The new CNG ElDorko's…

(I'll create a new thread for this later, but I'd figure I would prefer to tease you all. Good night :P )

Somewhat surprising, in that the award wasn't posted.

However:

• The July 2014 minutes indicate something about buying "The bus."
  • Yesterday's agenda had an item "CNG Bus procurement status."

So did you sit through the meeting and find out anything? Based on the one time I did, I didn't think it was worth the effort. However, that one bus may be it (in more than one sense, like the one and only).

Somewhat surprising, in that the award wasn't posted.

However:

• The July 2014 minutes indicate something about buying "The bus."
  • Yesterday's agenda had an item "CNG Bus procurement status."

So did you sit through the meeting and find out anything? Based on the one time I did, I didn't think it was worth the effort. However, that one bus may be it (in more than one sense, like the one and only).

It's a Demo. For now, the bus is finished with the needed Altoona testing. Should hear more in the Spring.

It's a Demo. For now, the bus is finished with the needed Altoona testing. Should hear more in the Spring.

Moving Forward just said that "Board members had the opportunity to look several months into the agency’s future when a bus powered by compressed natural gas was available for viewing." Said South should be converted by the end of next year, but no explanation of why this project is a year behind schedule. Also, no picture, although there was a picture of kissing the you know what of some legislator.