New Eldorados?

artthouwill

7 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

I'm not crazy!! Well, maybe I am, but I was right about the blue seats.

Same seats. Must have run out of Pace fabric, and had a deadline to meet. At least not the all plastic ones.

Someone on Pace's Facebook page will complain once they are slashed.

1 hour ago, Pace831 said:

I'm not crazy!! Well, maybe I am, but I was right about the blue seats. Here are some pictures of bus 15515 on route 364. I'll upload a short video when I get home.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Alright then you're not crazy. xD But what the hell everyone is on the blue seats gravy train?? At least they looked padded but not as much as the gray seats. Looks to me like the seats may be a test, that maybe they want to try these out and make a possible purchase with the rest of the order. Wow we went from nabi seats to eldo seats to this, what's next bleacher seats??? 9_9

Maybe everyone is thinking cubby blue as this looks like the year. Poor Sox did a '69 cubs and it's not even the all star game!! 9_9

Hopefully they have better seats on the Pulse buses or I-90 or I will be disappointed. How do you get people out of there cars if the comfort is not as good?

2 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Alright then you're not crazy. xD But what the hell everyone is on the blue seats gravy train?? At least they looked padded but not as much as the gray seats. Looks to me like the seats may be a test, that maybe they want to try these out and make a possible purchase with the rest of the order. Wow we went from nabi seats to eldo seats to this, what's next bleacher seats??? 9_9

Maybe everyone is thinking cubby blue as this looks like the year. Poor Sox did a '69 cubs and it's not even the all star game!! 9_9

Hopefully they have better seats on the Pulse buses or I-90 or I will be disappointed. How do you get people out of there cars if the comfort is not as good?

They were just as comfortable as the gray seats. It's the same type of seat, just a different color. I like the look of the blue seats better, but I wonder how they will look when they get worn and dirty. Gray might be better in the long run since darker colors tend to hide dirt. I rode back on 6164, and the seats on that bus were really worn out, which I liked better than when they were new. The NABI seats have too much padding and it's hard to get comfortable. The seats on the NABIs at West are still like that, unlike the ones at South which are a lot more worn out. There were some other people who came out of the mall and were excited to see the new bus there. Once they got on they were taking pictures and video with their phones, so I didn't look unusual doing the same.

20 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Looks to me like the seats may be a test

As I indicated earlier, there was a contractual deadline to deliver 20 buses., so should Edlo National default on the contract, or use the fabric that was available?

1 hour ago, Pace831 said:

Here is the video:

That's a very good video. I'm glad you uploaded it. It's better than mine. I should upload mine but it's hurky jerky. Mostly just the bus idling and a short takeoff. The bus I was on was really crowded. I see you got off where I did. i have no idea what's east of there. I just took a #383 back to midway. Came out on a #379. The bus ride seemed alot shorter when the #386 came to Orland Square. I think I'm going to retire my old phone and get a new one. I'm missing out here on all this technology.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

i have no idea what's east of there.

That looks like Oak Forest. East of there is Markham (O.K.), Harvey (not), South Holland, River Oaks Mall, Calumet City and one block into Hammond.

5 minutes ago, Busjack said:

That looks like Oak Forest. East of there is Markham (O.K.), Harvey (not), South Holland, River Oaks Mall, Calumet City and one block into Hammond.

Yes I know that, but I'm not from out there so I don't know the area just what's on a map. Why didn't that bus go to Hegewisch Metra. The Pacetracker said it does but it only went to River Oaks.

57 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Why didn't that bus go to Hegewisch Metra. The Pacetracker said it does but it only went to River Oaks.

Basically, the weekday and weekend schedules are separate. It looks like most of the weekday trips are full Hammond to Orland Square. Saturday trips are half River Oaks and half Hegewisch (the half River Oaks goes back about 15 years to when 364 was routed directly to Orland Square* instead of to Tinley Park or Brementown, and 30 minute service was instituted). Sunday service is once an hour, so no short trips.

The history of Hegewisch goes back about 18 years. 355 was cut back, but it was thought that some kind of weekend service was needed from Calumet City. Originally it was an interline of 350-355-364 changing route numbers in Hammond. However, such an interline could never meet schedule, so they just assigned it to 364.

Sunday service never went to Hammond, because GPTC and HTS did not run on Sunday.

*Orland Square was then served by the 354 Shoppers' Special via 147th, which was then rerouted to Tinley Park, and then with the latest restructuring became the 354 Harvey-Oak Forest Loop.

Yeah the last time I rode a #364 was when it went down 147th in the #2400's era. I wanted to see a #2400 bus and I believe the only other option was #272, but it might not have even existed then or it didn't run with #2400's.

It would be cool to try out a Pace Express but I'm afraid I'd get lost in Bolingbrook. I drive out there and I don't see any cabs when I do. This is why when I-90 Express gets started this will be so cool!! I'd like to see a Pace MCI.

7 hours ago, BusHunter said:

It would be cool to try out a Pace Express but I'm afraid I'd get lost in Bolingbrook. I drive out there and I don't see any cabs when I do. This is why when I-90 Express gets started this will be so cool!! I'd like to see a Pace MCI.

You wouldn't be lost if you rode one with me!!! :P

9 hours ago, BusHunter said:

That's a very good video. I'm glad you uploaded it. It's better than mine. I should upload mine but it's hurky jerky. Mostly just the bus idling and a short takeoff. The bus I was on was really crowded. I see you got off where I did. i have no idea what's east of there. I just took a #383 back to midway. Came out on a #379. The bus ride seemed alot shorter when the #386 came to Orland Square. I think I'm going to retire my old phone and get a new one. I'm missing out here on all this technology.

Thanks! I primarily uploaded the video because I thought people would be interested in the CNG engine sound. I had no idea how good or bad the sound would be.

Usually I take 832 to Orland Square but yesterday I decided to watch Bus Tracker and then drive there when I saw a higher-numbered CNG coming. I'm glad I did because when my 364 left, 832 wasn't there yet even though it should have been there 10 minutes ago. I got off at Cicero out of habit I guess, as I only use 364 on occasion to access the Oak Forest Metra so I can get between Joliet and Orland on evenings and weekends when 832 isn't running.

7 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Take a 755 or 851 to Old Chicago. When you get off you will see a stop light (IL 53/Old Chicago) to the west, the direction the bus is facing. Walk the 1/2 block to the light. The 834 northbound stop is on the NE corner (don't cross either street). 834 will take you to Downers Grove Metra or Yorktown (313/322) to get you back downtown. If you want to go southbound on 834 to Joliet Metra, go to the shelter on the SW corner (cross both streets).

Or, take the 7:30 PM 755 trip from Union Station (SW corner Jackson/Clinton) that goes all the way to Joliet. You'll get there in time for the 9:25 PM Rock Island train to Chicago.

21 hours ago, Pace831 said:

They were just as comfortable as the gray seats. It's the same type of seat, just a different color. I like the look of the blue seats better, but I wonder how they will look when they get worn and dirty. Gray might be better in the long run since darker colors tend to hide dirt. I rode back on 6164, and the seats on that bus were really worn out, which I liked better than when they were new. The NABI seats have too much padding and it's hard to get comfortable. The seats on the NABIs at West are still like that, unlike the ones at South which are a lot more worn out. There were some other people who came out of the mall and were excited to see the new bus there. Once they got on they were taking pictures and video with their phones, so I didn't look unusual doing the same.

So your fellow passengers were way more excited than those Garmon rode with on Belmont during the first day FG's new Novas went into service.xD And these sound quite a lot like the CNG buses of various models in California, though noticeably quieter as you noted. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found a place that must work on these Pace buses. Chandler Services at 10203 W 191st Street in Mokena. I saw a Pace bus there (couldn't tell what model) from the Rock Island train, and when I looked on street view (dated 9/15) it showed some of the new CNGs in their lot. Google Earth (4/15) shows 2643 and 3 diesel Axess there. I'll have to go look sometime and see what they're working on there.

Edit: Found references to this place in the January and April 2015 board minutes.

csmp.jpg

35 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

What's going on with the CNG deliveries?  We know CTA's Novas are rolling in like crazy, but I haven't seen or heard much as far as the CNG Eldos are concerned. Someone above posted spotting 6491 in California, so are there another set of diesels coming our way also?

• The solicitation for the CNGs said cng.jpg

Of course, June 1, 2014 became Nov.1, 2015, so we don't know when the notice to proceed was given.

• Spotter: Andre had posted that he found some report that Pace ordered through 6491, but the highest put into service in Sept. 2015 was 6484, so maybe now the two jive.

In any event, Pace will need in the short term buses for I-90 and Milwaukee Pulse.

I-90 might be ran with mcis. Think of it as the i-55 express corridor of the north. I don't know if 7 buses is enough for pulse either. I thought pulse might have new buses because of the cell phone chargers aboard but maybe it's just going to be a retrofit of existing axess'.

11 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I-90 might be ran with mcis. Think of it as the i-55 express corridor of the north. I don't know if 7 buses is enough for pulse either. I thought pulse might have new buses because of the cell phone chargers aboard but maybe it's just going to be a retrofit of existing axess'.

From what MetroShadow posted, you seem wrong on the first two accounts, as he said 6491 was a "suburban model." west towns might have had a correct hunch.

Don't know what Metro's sources are, but I'm not going to argue with a moderator.

I drove by Chandler in Mokena this morning and saw a highway ElDorado in the lot. I was driving so I couldn't read the number. I'll go back tonight or tomorrow to get a picture if it's still there. From the street view image I posted above, that looks like the place new buses can be found before they go in service.

8 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

I drove by Chandler in Mokena this morning and saw a highway ElDorado in the lot. I was driving so I couldn't read the number. I'll go back tonight or tomorrow to get a picture if it's still there. From the street view image I posted above, that looks like the place new buses can be found before they go in service.

They are supposed to be delivered to Pace South Holland, but it appears that Chandler is where the manufacturer has something checked out before making delivery in the legal sense.

cng.jpg

7 minutes ago, Busjack said:

They are supposed to be delivered to Pace South Holland, but it appears that that is where the manufacturer has something checked out before making delivery in the legal sense.

cng.jpg

There was also the board minutes I linked to that said replacement engines and transmissions would be installed there. But that was awarded over a year ago, so I'm thinking the bus I saw there was one of the new ones.

37 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

There was also the board minutes I linked to that said replacement engines and transmissions would be installed there. But that was awarded over a year ago, so I'm thinking the bus I saw there was one of the new ones.

Also said that Pace was doing business with Cummins N Power and Inland Power group.

From the excerpt I pasted above, I really doubt that any work on new buses is on Pace's dime on the contracts you cited. April one appears to be the contract to rehab 2600-2701.

What's going on here probably isn't any different than Garmon seeing the Prevost Parts truck at South Shops. Chandler is probably the local service shop El Dorado National California uses.

Chandler's "About" page says:

"Chandler Services, Inc., a family owned corporation was established in 1980 as a complete truck and transit repair facility, specializing in the diagnostic and repair of Cummins Engines, Mack Trucks and El Dorado National Buses."