7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

32 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

What if I told you that those aren't Chicago operators running #66 but using Chicago's run numbers. You'll be very surprised! :ph34r:

Well in a way it still makes sense because #66's destination signs are still tied to Chicago garage run numbers. And it would still explain why maths22's tracker showed those buses doing Chicago garage runs. 

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

So they have F run numbers?

No silly! What I'm trying to say that it can be a possibility of Forest Glen operators operating #66 last night but had to compute Chicago run numbers on the Cleaver Device. By the way, #8194 is finally in service this morning. 

Two clarifications - yes you CAN have off-station workings. A couple of years back, when I was at 103rd, I did a trip on 65-Grand and returned as a 74-Fullerton to Halsted with a 103rd artic and running a 103rd run number. You can put up any sign you want by going into "manual" mode.

However, if the bus is carrying a Chicago run number, it is a Chicago driver driving. Run numbers are assigned based on where the driver is from, not where the bus is from.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, andrethebusman said:

Two clarifications - yes you CAN have off-station workings. A couple of years back, when I was at 103rd, I did a trip on 65-Grand and returned as a 74-Fullerton to Halsted with a 103rd artic and running a 103rd run number. You can put up any sign you want by going into "manual" mode.

However, if the bus is carrying a Chicago run number, it is a Chicago driver driving. Run numbers are assigned based on where the driver is from, not where the bus is from.

Thanks for clarifying that!

13 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Yeah it must have been another temp loan. i don't remember them doing that before, this is the second time this has happened now in a few weeks. First with the kedzie artics on #74 signed as Chicago run numbers for the Pride parade.and now this. This has got to be something new. It would be interesting if they did that with artics but ran those out of a garage with no artics. Would anyone be qualified to drive an artic out of FG? Would anyone be qualified to drive an artic out of 77th? maybe? i'll have to check if the #3 had artics for the 4th

6 hours ago, Johnny 5 said:

I just saw 2 #8200s running on Irving Park today (according to Bus Tracker and outside the window).:D

Yeah saw them both #8204 and #8214. #8246 also was finally on the #90 ran with a veteran #90 operator. (i would have took a picture but my phone is running like crap. i got another one on order.) Hmm i wonder if he'll be pulling out more of those? i wonder if seniority plays out on a non #77 assignment? Now we need an #86 #8200 and we've seen them all. i hope no one is scared to take a new bus through wright college, there are a few tight turns in there.

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah saw them both #8204 and #8214. #8246 also was finally on the #90 ran with a veteran #90 operator. (i would have took a picture but my phone is running like crap. i got another one on order.) Hmm i wonder if he'll be pulling out more of those? i wonder if seniority plays out on a non #77 assignment? Now we need an #86 #8200 and we've seen them all. i hope no one is scared to take a new bus through wright college, there are a few tight turns in there.

Now you're blaming your phone for no pictures? That's it..... @BusHunter...... :PxD 

8 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah it must have been another temp loan. i don't remember them doing that before, this is the second time this has happened now in a few weeks. First with the kedzie artics on #74 signed as Chicago run numbers for the Pride parade.and now this. This has got to be something new.

Pride parade and July 4th fireworks, nothing new, just happen once a year. You'll have to be on the lookout for major events or you'll miss the special operations. Pride Parade is always on Sunday, which has the least amount of service. Looks like the CTA wants those particular crosstown routes to have extra capacity without extra buses. So, Kedzie sends over their spare artics to be operated by the normal Chicago Garage operators . The fireworks show is what 20 mins top? That's tens of thousands of people coming and going in a very short time. Artics will help, but the overall numbers of buses needs to be increased to present to the public any form of useful service. With big events, all the garages pitch in. As andre said up top, in this scenario, they use run numbers assigned to their home garage and manual mode can put up any sign as needed.

Whether it's the Pride Parade, 4th of July, etc etc it's just like the extra runs for a baseball or football game. Whatever garage that bus is assigned it comes with that garages operator. So FG buses that helped out C garage for the 4th had FG operators.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BusOps said:

Also to clarify on something Bushunter was asking, no buses are not assigned by seniority of the operators at all. It's based solely on the run, route, time of day and capacity needed. 

Is there some reason most 8200s are assigned to 77?

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Is there some reason most 8200s are assigned to 77?

It probably has to do with that new boarding system at the Kimball Blue Line station, @Busjack. Faster boarding means CTA wants faster, more reliable buses assigned there. You can't get more reliable than buses that are literately less than a few months old.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

It probably has to do with that new boarding system at the Kimball Blue Line station, @Busjack. Faster boarding means CTA wants faster, more reliable buses assigned there. You can't get more reliable than buses that are literately less than a few months old.

But are you Bus Ops?

47 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

He is correct on that Busjack. If CTA wants a true representation if the prepaid boarding pilot program is working they have to reduce considerably the biggest variable that they can control and that's breakdowns. Hence why on the weekends you see the 8200s spread out on FG other routes cause prepaid boarding is not in effect.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, BusOps said:

He is correct on that Busjack. If CTA wants a true representation if the prepaid boarding pilot program is working they have to reduce considerably the biggest variable that they can control and that's breakdowns. Hence why on the weekends you see the 8200s spread out on FG other routes cause prepaid boarding is not in effect.

Yes but in the last few days things are changing. The #80 has had #8200's I believe the last 2 or 3 days, plus like I said #8246 was on the #90 yesterday but it was a ghost bus.

50 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Yes but in the last few days things are changing. The #80 has had #8200's I believe the last 2 or 3 days, plus like I said #8246 was on the #90 yesterday but it was a ghost bus.

It's coming slowly.... the #152 is still 6400-Series Novas and New Flyers(except for the Nova I rode that one day #8200). Eventually, one or two should be a regular addition here.

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

That's because some run numbers don't stay on the same route all day. They cover the rush period then switch to another route. Or you have runs that switch between routes on every trip all day.

1 hour ago, BusOps said:

That's because some run numbers don't stay on the same route all day. They cover the rush period then switch to another route. Or you have runs that switch between routes on every trip all day.

yes that is true but yesterday's #80 runs were out all day. They were probably block runs and like I said this operator on the #90 only works the #90. I never see him work anything else. i think myself they have enough buses to run the #77 with #8200's and can spare a few elsewhere, whether they can be requested elsewhere, I don't know. It might be a tad early for that. There are still a minority of #6400's on the #77 but it's getting sparse like 5-6 buses. I saw a friend driving one yesterday, I'd like to know if a #6400 can still be requested on the #77 or is it forbidden? Seems sort of fishy, #77 is not exclusive #8200's but other routes are starting to get them.

30 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

yes that is true but yesterday's #80 runs were out all day. They were probably block runs and like I said this operator on the #90 only works the #90. I never see him work anything else. i think myself they have enough buses to run the #77 with #8200's and can spare a few elsewhere, whether they can be requested elsewhere, I don't know. It might be a tad early for that. There are still a minority of #6400's on the #77 but it's getting sparse like 5-6 buses. I saw a friend driving one yesterday, I'd like to know if a #6400 can still be requested on the #77 or is it forbidden? Seems sort of fishy, #77 is not exclusive #8200's but other routes are starting to get them.

That probably depends on the Operator. When the #1000's were coming into I believe Chicago Garage while the Flxible 5300's were still there, one Operator took a Flxible on his runs(I believe he is/was a forum member on here, he mentioned it somewhere in the #5300-Series thread w/picture, I believe). He was the only one who took one of them out, everyone else opted for the New Flyers.

• Upvote 1