7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

Then let's get a contract out with someone local to fix the brake pad issue like Midas.... :P:lol: No, but all joking aside... c'mon already... the New Flyers have been running circles around Nova. I don't think the 6400's took this long between 2000 and 2002 when they were being delivered.

You forget--the base order was so late that the first option (6550 and up) was being delivered before the base. The base and 2 options were supposed to be separated, but only the second option (6709 up) was.

Garmon did you see #7920 at South Shops yesterday? Does anybody still believe these are not going to 77th first? Uh Oh, #7920 is now not showing up on the tracker. I was going to say with the bus out there on a sunday that may be a good sign, probably CTA brass (those in authority to send the bus out testing) are probably not working today in any great numbers unless it went out by accident. We shall see!!

Garmon did you see #7920 at South Shops yesterday? Does anybody still believe these are not going to 77th first? Uh Oh, #7920 is now not showing up on the tracker. I was going to say with the bus out there on a sunday that may be a good sign, probably CTA brass (those in authority to send the bus out testing) are probably not working today in any great numbers unless it went out by accident. We shall see!!

I haven't seen #7920 at all yesterday. What?!?!?! Where the hell it went too??? It couldn't possibly just deadhead back to the South Shop from 31st that fast!!!

If it went out and wasn't supposed to, accident or not, someone's going to have a lot of 'splaining to do! Then following that, some form of discliplinary action if it wasn't supposed to go out.

Damn #7910 headed SB to 41st on the #8 right now. #7904's going NB to Madison. Those might both be pull ins.

attachicon.gifcta 7910 0n 8.png

Probably not, because the schedule indicates that about a third of the buses (at least in the morning) run only between Root and Madison (return between Randolph and Root)*. What's surprising is that that segment gets double coverage. I would have assumed that if it is a 77 route, pull ins would be at 79th. Bus Tracker also shows some runs from Waveland to Root.

Anyway, 7910 is still out there.

post-14-0-66973500-1404740122_thumb.jpg

*Dashes on both sides of the line.

Probably not, because the schedule indicates that about a third of the buses (at least in the morning) run only between Root and Madison (return between Randolph and Root)*. What's surprising is that that segment gets double coverage. I would have assumed that if it is a 77 route, pull ins would be at 79th. Bus Tracker also shows some runs from Waveland to Root.

attachicon.gif7910.jpg

Yes. Just caught it from Maxwell to Taylor. 7904 seems to have disappeared after arriving at Madison however.

7910.jpg

Some of the runs that end at Madison deadhead back to garage and some go into midday storage to supplement PM rush between Randolph and Root.

Some of the runs that end at Madison deadhead back to garage and some go into midday storage to supplement PM rush between Randolph and Root.

I noted that most of those runs disappeared from Bus Tracker after about 9:45. Where is the midday storage?

Ok, 7920 was seen out yesterday, and today 7904 and 7910. All that's remaining to be seen out of the stock at South Shops currently is 7907 and 7927, then we just have to wait for the in-betweens to show up

(7902-7903, 7905-7906, 7908-7909, 7911-7919, 7921-7926)

Ok, 7920 was seen out yesterday, and today 7904 and 7910. All that's remaining to be seen out of the stock at South Shops currently is 7907 and 7927, then we just have to wait for the in-betweens to show up

(7902-7903, 7905-7906, 7908-7909, 7911-7919, 7921-7926)

I think they're already built and for some reason not sent yet. Maybe they didn't pass the company inspection or they are missing a part. So then I was right (somewhat) yesterday in my conclusion that the sighting of #7920 was a good sign. Maybe the buses at South Shops on the side are on the ready to go line and the ones by the fence are the ones they are working on. Strange we didn't see #7927 until Saturday. Now I wonder if they did receive something over the weekend at south shops? If we see #7927 then I think they did receive something, that seems to be the bus they're hanging on too.

I think they're already built and for some reason not sent yet. Maybe they didn't pass the company inspection or they are missing a part. So then I was right (somewhat) yesterday in my conclusion that the sighting of #7920 was a good sign. Maybe the buses at South Shops on the side are on the ready to go line and the ones by the fence are the ones they are working on. Strange we didn't see #7927 until Saturday. Now I wonder if they did receive something over the weekend at south shops? If we see #7927 then I think they did receive something, that seems to be the bus they're hanging on too.

Must've been hiding somewhere in/around the facility. You have it marked as being on property 6/10/14, about one month ago.

You forget--the base order was so late that the first option (6550 and up) was being delivered before the base. The base and 2 options were supposed to be separated, but only the second option (6709 up) was.

Correct on that because I remember seeing a number of 6550s and a few higher such as 6572 operating on the 29 at the time before they eventually made their way over to Archer Garage a number of weeks later.

I think almost everyone's given up any thoughts of them not being assigned to 77th first especially with 77th having returned a few of the NFs it took from 74th back to 74th. Why do you think CTA5750 was so livid? Because yet again 77th maneuvered a way to be on the list of garages being assigned new buses when it doesn't necessarily need them compared other garages out there. One wonders if in some way CTA had some inkling that for the second time with doing business with Nova that they were going to be late again delivering buses to them.

I think almost everyone's given up any thoughts of them not being assigned to 77th first especially with 77th having returned a few of the NFs it took from 74th back to 74th. Why do you think CTA5750 was so livid? Because yet again 77th maneuvered a way to be on the list of garages being assigned new buses when it doesn't necessarily need them compared other garages out there. One wonders if in some way CTA had some inkling that for the second time with doing business with Nova that they were going to be late again delivering buses to them.

I really don't CTA5750 should be livid that 77th seems to be getting the 7900s first. First, remember 77th did have the oldest 6400s for years until recently( that would seem like a reason to get new buses). Also take into consideration that South Shops, which is the major heavy duty maintenance facility for CTA is on the same property as the 77th garage. Thus it would seem to be prudent that new equipment get teethed at 77th. History has shown that for the most part, 77th doesn't get to keep the new equipment it gets (9600 GMCs, 4000 Americanas, 6000 Flxs, 4000 New Flyer artics, and the 4300 series artics). I don't know if his issue is about 77th getting new equipment or FG not getting new equipment. I strongly believe that FG is in line to get the new buses, but considering that FG has the best of the old Novas, why should that garage get them first when the crappiest of the Novas are at 74th and Chicago? Perhaps at the end of the teething period, those buses at 77th will get transferred to those two other garages.

We still don't know the breakdown of how these buses will be delivered. If 4 garages are slated for 75 buses each, then 77th will indeed have some new buses. If 3 garages are slated for 100, then 77th should be the odd garage out. Then there is the issue of any remaining options that CTA could exercise, be it 150 additional Novas or a mix of 40' and/or Articulated buses from New Flyer totaling 150 buses.

In the meantime, why can't FG get Chicago's highest numbered NF buses (1980 to 2029)? I definitely think FG got the shaft on NF deliveries in that when FG did get some, they got older hand me downs only to see them get taken away.

Yeah now fg can sing 77th's song. Gimme Gimme Gimme and maybe get some #1000's unless they want to send 100 nf's to 74th which puts them out of the running for #7900's and gives fg a chance of getting all new buses. If all the new flyer s went to 74th then I think fg is really getting the shaft. Btw spotted another nova with the blue kneeling stickers #6769. Wouldn't it be something if that's the buses they intend to keep until the last option.

I definitely believe that 6709-6883 will be the group that will remain until the end. I would definitely look at some point to see 6876-6883 migrate from 74th to FG when they get enough of another bus type(New Flyers or 7900's) to move them out. It wouldn't take much as it's just six buses. Will FG keep 6709-6883 until the end is another question or will these buses be split up among several garages is another question.

I definitely believe that 6709-6883 will be the group that will remain until the end. I would definitely look at some point to see 6876-6883 migrate from 74th to FG when they get enough of another bus type(New Flyers or 7900's) to move them out. It wouldn't take much as it's just six buses. Will FG keep 6709-6883 until the end is another question or will these buses be split up among several garages is another question.

History tends to show that there is the possibility that the last buses in a series are split among at least a couple of garages until there's nothing but a handful left that can fit in one remaining garage until the end. Depends on the number left at final retirement. There have been a few standouts: the 6000s (285 buses left approximately at retirement), the 5800s (only 65 ever order and all assigned to NP), the 5900s (only 3 because they were only test with all assigned to Chicago) and the 7500s (we all know they turned out to be junk and CTA pulled the plug on them only 3 years in approximately).