7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

Didn't mean anything by it, TaylorTank. It was the way it was worded that made me think you thought it wasn't there before...

Here's #7927. I was around the 77th garage area yesterday on 79th street to see the Novas but this was the only one there.

Myself, I won't see the 7900's up close personally until when.... or if..... they come to Forest Glen and are on some of the popular North Side routes like #78, #80, #152(I don't have a reason to ride a 77th Garage route where I am at). Where they are housed now is not a very safe place, IMO, to be on foot from public transit to take photos. I commend you all that go to 77th and Perry or to South Shops to take these photos. So until the day that the 7900's hopefully come to FG, I'll have to enjoy seeing the photos and viewing the videos that you upload here.

History tends to show that there is the possibility that the last buses in a series are split among at least a couple of garages until there's nothing but a handful left that can fit in one remaining garage until the end. Depends on the number left at final retirement. There have been a few standouts: the 6000s (285 buses left approximately at retirement), the 5800s (only 65 ever order and all assigned to NP), the 5900s (only 3 because they were only test with all assigned to Chicago) and the 7500s (we all know they turned out to be junk and CTA pulled the plug on them only 3 years in approximately).

FG seems to always be the garage closing out a fleet of buses! I was there when the 4000 MANs and 9800 Flyers were retired. Eventually getting the last portion of the 6400 Nova order. So Im sure FG will be placed in that position again!

FG seems to always be the garage closing out a fleet of buses! I was there when the 4000 MANs and 9800 Flyers were retired. Eventually getting the last portion of the 6400 Nova order. So Im sure FG will be placed in that position again!

I'm starting to wonder if FG might end up with a high number of Chicago Novas. Alot of these Novas up here are breaking down, I've seen about 5 this week all from FG. The Chicago Novas actually seem to be in better shape. That's why anything even NF's are welcome at the Glen. I would think maybe we would see a few early transfers of #1000's to somewhere by now. 77th seems to be using the #7900's only when there is nothing else left at the garage, that's why they get on all these express routes. Only the #52A run is the exception to that rule. Would be nice to see some on the #3 or #4, but maybe they are worried about a bus bunch occuring. The other day the #52A run (the one with #7904) was running late most of the day, no doubt because the operators are being overly cautious. From a driving perspective to me they appear the same as #6400's with more power and a better trans.

BTW, I listened to #7920 coming off the drive. The brakes sounded better but the operator was pumping the brakes more and when he held the brakes the brakes started grinding. Now being a car owner and hearing the same thing I've been told that's either a pad or caliper problem. You could say the brakes need breaking in but I don't buy that.

Actually the MAN 4000s ended their lives at North Park not Forest Glen. The only reason FG even had any was because there was the delay with the portion of Nova 6400s slated to go to FG, and CTA needed something in place to fill the gap that the last 9800s would be leaving. So FG got most of what Americanas were being knocked out of the way by the former Archer TMCs going to 103rd along with what was being knocked out of the way by the 6000s at 74th out of what didn't get snatched up by North Park. And if FG was the last to get 7900s, it could at least be said that garage was getting newer buses first hand this time around and not as hand me downs. So that wouldn't exactly fit your northwest side being neglected by the CTA hypothesis either.

Been there since June 10th. Novabus or CTA is lagging here... I think it's Novabus, as there are complaints from others on Facebook about orders.

Whoa... might be serious with this 1st comment...

• Is it true that nova is hiring orion bus workers to stall build buses in plattsburg???(7/7/14)
  • don't see any NovaBus News of what is Happening at the Plant in Plattsburgh, N.Y. What's up with that? No Pictures or info? We'd like to know! Marc and Renee Youngmann(5/6/14)
  • What is the holdup on the delivery of The Neva 62 Ft. buses to SEPTA.... We have seem a photo of 7368 at your factory or somewhere up north(5/5/14)

What in the world is going on in Plattsburgh? Is Novabus imploding on itself or what? What might that mean for the 7900-Series Novas' future if any of these comments, particularly the latest one bears fruit... this looks serious, especially after reading the top comment. Doing a general search on the topic Novabus stalling and Novabus slowdown yields no results, but there are a few different transit enthusiasts inquiring on the Facebook page.

I can tell you the SEPTA order is delayed on SEPTAs part due to the fact that City Transit workers could go on strike at any time.

Actually the MAN 4000s ended their lives at North Park not Forest Glen. The only reason FG even had any was because there was the delay with the portion of Nova 6400s slated to go to FG, and CTA needed something in place to fill the gap that the last 9800s would be leaving. So FG got most of what Americanas were being knocked out of the way by the former Archer TMCs going to 103rd along with what was being knocked out of the way by the 6000s at 74th out of what didn't get snatched up by North Park. And if FG was the last to get 7900s, it could at least be said that garage was getting newer buses first hand this time around and not as hand me downs. So that wouldn't exactly fit your northwest side being neglected by the CTA hypothesis either.

If I remember correctly Forest Glen got the last of the 6400's so they had new equipment and not hand me downs.

If I remember correctly Forest Glen got the last of the 6400's so they had new equipment and not hand me downs.

I wasn't speaking of the 6400s when I mentioned hand me downs. I was speaking of 5750's prior mention in other posts that the MAN 4000s, Flxible 6000s and NF 1000s assigned at FG through the years were hand me downs to support his opinion that CTA singles out the northwest side for older equipment. In the case of the 6000s and 1000s, even though the units assigned had previously been at other garages first, they still went to FG when both series were still fairly new.

and the most people #7920 was packed.

I was going to ask it you still noticed the thing you mentioned with the brakes for those 7900s on express runs, but you answered that question in a later post. :)

Most of the routes so far that the 7900s have been featured on wouldn't be considered "hood" routes, the 1,2, 8, 52A, 53A amongst those. I guess the sightings on the 24 Wentworth make that route the exception, but it is a light route.

Good point. And if safety is such a concern for getting to see one now up close. All one has to do is be downtown if they happen to be free during a CTA weekday rush period.

It does boggle the mind if you think about it. CTA has had over 1,300 bus deliveries and is going to have over 960 railcar deliveries before FG receives new buses or the Blue line receives new cars. 1,500 if you bank on them getting #8100's. You know that is about an entire CTA fleet except the NW side. It does show in what they have done. All rail stations, and I do mean "All" south of the Forest Park Blue line are accessible. They are even building more new stations. When the Orange line goes #5000, not only will they have all accessible stations, they will have all new trains except for a few Brownages which probably rate higher than the Blue line. How can this happen? I have wondered myself. All I can say is FG got the Optimas and that just about killed there chance of getting anymore new buses. The blue line didn't get the airport express and that killed the #5000's on the Blue. Thank goodness they are ordering more cars and buses at least then things will equal out and we won't even be having these discussions!! :rolleyes::lol:

...When the Orange line goes #5000, not only will they have all accessible stations, they will have all new trains except for a few Brownages which probably rate higher than the Blue line. ...

I've noted before I highly doubt that, if they are keeping 250 something (they say 257 in the rehab requests) 3200s until 2025.

I don't see FG getting the new 7900s. 77th as always, ends up with a handful of a new bus order! They will probably ship their old beat up Novas or NFs to FG!

I don't see FG getting the new 7900s. 77th as always, ends up with a handful of a new bus order! They will probably ship their old beat up Novas or NFs to FG!

Seriously you really need to chill out for now and see how things unfold because now you're beginning to contradict yourself. First you're saying you bet FG is placed last on the list for 7900s, and now you griping that you don't see them getting any. Which one is it? They're either last on the list for 7900s or they'll get old "beat up" Novas and New Flyers. You can't have it both ways sir. (And with CTA pumping a few hundred million bucks into New Flyer rebuilds, one should hope that none of them better be beat up). They've only been delivering to one garage so far. NONE of us knows who's going to get 7900s next. As Art points out 77th might only have them to shake out any faults given the South Shops heavy maintenance facility is on the same property as the garage. There is in fact a history for this. Some lower numbered Americanas were assigned there before being assigned to Kedzie, and what Americanas were assigned at 103rd had previously been at 77th during the final couple of years of Beverly Garage's existence. Some of the lower 4400s were there before going to North Park and 77th getting upper 4700s and the 4800s. Whatever the case though, you or anyone else can't just assume at this stage with only one garage having 7900s so far that FG isn't going to get any. For all any of us know, Chicago or 74th might not get any. So chill out dude.

• Upvote 6

Seriously you really need to chill out for now and see how things unfold because now you're beginning to contradict yourself. First you're saying you bet FG is placed last on the list for 7900s, and now you griping that you don't see them getting any. Which one is it? They're either last on the list for 7900s or they'll get old "beat up" Novas and New Flyers. You can't have it both ways sir. (And with CTA pumping a few hundred million bucks into New Flyer rebuilds, one should hope that none of them better be beat up). They've only been delivering to one garage so far. NONE of us knows who's going to get 7900s next. As Art points out 77th might only have them to shake out any faults given the South Shops heavy maintenance facility is on the same property as the garage. There is in fact a history for this. Some lower numbered Americanas were assigned there before being assigned to Kedzie, and what Americanas were assigned at 103rd had previously been at 77th during the final couple of years of Beverly Garage's existence. Some of the lower 4400s were there before going to North Park and 77th getting upper 4700s and the 4800s. Whatever the case though, you or anyone else can't just assume at this stage with only one garage having 7900s so far that FG isn't going to get any. For all any of us know, Chicago or 74th might not get any. So chill out dude.

Well said man and I agree, just wait a min and see what happens before you jump the gun. It's not official where they will start out 1st like I said before they were at Chicago garage 1st then moved to 77th no official assignments yet. And btw all new equipment goes to 77th 1st anyway for inspections and etc the same as the 4300's did so just wait a min and see what happens, wait for more 7900's to come in before you get worked up about where they currently are. I'm sure FG will get some of that nova pie just wait a min.

Well said man and I agree, just wait a min and see what happens before you jump the gun. It's not official where they will start out 1st like I said before they were at Chicago garage 1st then moved to 77th no official assignments yet. And btw all new equipment goes to 77th 1st anyway for inspections and etc the same as the 4300's did so just wait a min and see what happens, wait for more 7900's to come in before you get worked up about where they currently are. I'm sure FG will get some of that nova pie just wait a min.

After CTA secures a contract with Midas.... seriously, what is up with the brakes? Very hard braking, now operators have to pump the brakes and the brakes make grinding sounds. I don't think CTA had issues with brakes on the 6400's when they first arrived on site. I know it's 14 years later, but brakes haven't really changed all that much on vehicles. Are the 7900's going to have ongoing brake problems due to an engineering flaw of some sort?

Im just simply stating an opinion. Why do I need "to chill"? Im simply stating that FG wont get any of the new buses. How is that contradictory to what Ive been saying lately??? Well just end up with the "hand me downs" from other garages. If we do see any of the new Novas Ill retract my comment! But As Ive been stating many times before, this garage as well as this part of the city lately have been put in the "back of the line" when it comes to new CTA equipment,

Im just simply stating an opinion. Why do I need "to chill"? Im simply stating that FG wont get any of the new buses. How is that contradictory to what Ive been saying lately??? Well just end up with the "hand me downs" from other garages. If we do see any of the new Novas Ill retract my comment! But As Ive been stating many times before, this garage as well as this part of the city lately have been put in the "back of the line" when it comes to new CTA equipment,

Was this not you who said the following just yesterday:

FG seems to always be the garage closing out a fleet of buses.... Eventually getting the last portion of the 6400 Nova order. So Im sure FG will be placed in that position again!

And now the gripe is back to FG isn't going to get any at all when only one garage so far has gotten some of the new buses. There in lies the contradiction I saw since it appears you were saying you were sure FG was going to be back of the line for 7900s. And while you're griping about "hand me downs", the MAN 4000s were the only hand me downs that were old and worn when FG got them, and it only had them for two or three months at most as I recall. They found themselves at North Park with the other remaining hand me down Americanas that the other Americana garages gave up as all their remaining non-wheelchair routes became wheelchair accessible and thus making NP the garage the Americanas died out. As I recall FG got 9800s while still relatively new and gave them up for 4 or 5 years to Limits Garage in that garage's final years after Limits gave up its Fishbowls and FG started getting Flx 5300s which were brand new when FG got them. It got 9800s back after Limits closed. It got all of Kedzie's Flx 6000s when those were only 2 or 3 years old and therefore still relatively new for the FG 5300s and what TMCs numbered in the 4700s that FG had from a prior 4400 for 5300 swap with 77th. It did in fact get the 6400s along with Archer, 77th and Chicago leaving Kedzie, NP and 103rd to contend with aging 4400s and/or 5300s. And sure it got 1000s as hand me downs but yet again they were still relatively new since they were only a couple of years old when FG got them from Kedzie and a little later 77th. In both of those last swaps mentioned, as I recall Kedzie got what were at that point crappy 6000s while 77th got Novas for the NFs it gave to FG. Doesn't sound much like FG has been getting so neglected as you say when there are several cases of it giving up older models of buses for newer models.

And to further show that FG isn't the garage that all bus models go to die, as stated Americanas died out at North Park. Fishbowls died out at 69th/74th. The 7000s died at North Park. The 7100s died at 103rd. The 3700s died at Kedzie. The 4900s died at 103rd. The 4400s died at 77th. The 5300s died at Chicago. The 5800s died at North Park. The 6000s technically died at Archer, since the CTA had them in storage there and only decided to finally officially retire them and scrap them once it became even clearer that the February 2010 cuts that parked them in the first place weren't going to be reversed. 7500s technically died at 77th and 103rd since this is where they were stored during CTA/NABI litigation after CTA pulled those after three years of service. Though FG did end up with most of the 500s before those were phased out, I think 103rd (and 77th?) still had a handful before they ended their service to CTA. Only the 9800s out of the more recent CTA buses died completely at FG.*

*I know I didn't count the 4915s or 7300s. I didn't because those weren't CTA buses for the entirety of their service lives.

dude, I open the sight to catch up with whats going on and read the SAME complaint for how long now.? I guess it's just natural to ignore transit history and facts, and extensive optimistic comments of support from some of us. Let's petition cta to assighn 7925-30 to Forest Glen permanently so you can get some sleep. B)

Im just stating my thoughts and opinions as many of you do here as well! Im just airing my displeasure of how unfair CTA assigns its equipment. A little off topic, but Saturday I pick up the newest edition of First/Fastest and in it talks of the 5000s and its assignments. Sure enough its states the Blue will not get them. They will continue with all 2600s while the Brown and Orange will stay with 3200s. So I guess its official!

Im just stating my thoughts and opinions as many of you do here as well! Im just airing my displeasure of how unfair CTA assigns its equipment. A little off topic, but Saturday I pick up the newest edition of First/Fastest and in it talks of the 5000s and its assignments. Sure enough its states the Blue will not get them. They will continue with all 2600s while the Brown and Orange will stay with 3200s. So I guess its official!

we'll see about that. Unless midway yard is going over the 200 car mark!!

we'll see about that. Unless midway yard is going over the 200 car mark!!

As I noted many times before, with your rosters of about 1360 cars, they are storing whatever overage there is now. I've also noted that there is plenty of storage room at 54th and 61st yards (was the latter used during the Howard-Ashland summer)?