7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

There are parts that can be recycled though, Busjack. Some of the windows, namely the larger ones in the front, might be the same size.

But why bother with 15 year old garbage on a new bus with a guarantee? Besides the size, there are issues such as the emergency releases.

But why bother with 15 year old garbage on a new bus with a guarantee? Besides the size, there are issues such as the emergency releases.

Recycling. It saves money for the CTA. Yes they have contracts for parts, but recycling saves money, even if it's just a little bit... also time, because they have to wait for those parts to be shipped, which may take a few days to a week, depending on where they come from if they are not in the supply rooms. The bus waiting for a body part that can be interchanged can be back on the road same day with a simple fix using a nearly identical part.

5300-Series Flxible Metro parts were used on 6000-Series Flxible Metro buses(I remember 6131 had one 6000-Series front door and one 5300-Series front door), 5900-Series Ballard parts off the New Flyer shells were used for the 5800-Series New Flyer D40LF buses, hence why they were stripped of parts. 5800-Series New Flyer D40LF parts were used on 1000-Series New Flyer D40LF buses(some of them are stripped). 6400-Series Nova LFS parts can be recycled onto 7900-Series Nova LFS buses if needed(look at the photos on BusHunter's Not In Service list from where the Novas are. Many are missing parts that are to be scrapped. Those parts no doubt might be on other Novas or sitting in a supply room awaiting need for either other 6400's or 7900's).

On the rail side, 2400-Series parts might be usable on 2600-Series railcars. And I'm sure 3200-Series body parts(not the motors) can be used on 5000-Series railcars if needed after they start to be scrapped between 2019-2022.

I actually like what they did with the side panel numbers. It makes them more flush with the other series side number placements. I didn't really like how they were basically on the edge of the sides on 7900 in the beginning.

Taking it off the window makes sense too... the window should be clear, and probably requires a special decal to stay on there with all the condensation and such windows get. There isn't any other place to put a rear number except above the engine cooling unit.

I'm not so sure that the rear number placement that high is such a great idea. It's well above the normal sight line and could easily get snow-covered. On the other hand, it was readily visible in the window. The New York City Nova fleet all have the numbers in the rear window; it seems to work there.

I'm not so sure that the rear number placement that high is such a great idea. It's well above the normal sight line and could easily get snow-covered. On the other hand, it was readily visible in the window. The New York City Nova fleet all have the numbers in the rear window; it seems to work there.

And it seems like MTA doesn't have any other choice but to have the number decals on the rear windows because of the different types of their Novas compared to ours.

• Upvote 2

Recycling. It saves money for the CTA. ..

Recycling does not save money since there is an inventory cost, which Claypool is trying to eliminate by turning over the parts inventory responsibility to NAPA.

In this business, recycling is done by the scrap yard. Maybe that's where some of the engines for rebuilding come from.

Also (1) I don't think even Claypool wants a new bus to look like junk, and (2) since it is a Ricon bus window, what makes you think it fits a 2014 Nova any better than a New Flyer?

Of course, a bus ride's never interesting until the occasional rambling man shows up.

True

To be fair to the guy though, it wasn't just random ramblings like you hear during other times on a CTA bus. He was having a conversation with that other bus operator on the bus and the lady seated near them and speaking about the crime situation in different parts of the surrounding community near where the #43 operates and how more folks of the community need to care if they don't want it to get to levels heard about in some other parts and communities of the South Side. Not every louder than need be conversation on a CTA bus is always just some insignificant rambling to be easily dismissed because we don't want to hear the conversation. Good shots Garmon.

• Upvote 1

To be fair to the guy though, it wasn't just random ramblings like you hear during other times on a CTA bus. He was having a conversation with that other bus operator on the bus and the lady seated near them and speaking about the crime situation in different parts of the surrounding community near where the #43 operates and how more folks of the community need to care if they don't want it to get to levels heard about in some other parts and communities of the South Side. Not every louder than need be conversation on a CTA bus is always just some insignificant rambling to be easily dismissed because we don't want to hear the conversation. Good shots Garmon.

You're absolutely right about the guy. I could've heard him more clearly but I didn't want to be rude by getting close. Thanks man.

You're right, it's just that sometimes, whenever I ride a bus or train, occasionally there is one passenger doing something out of the ordinary. I don't count making conversation with a bus driver as unusual.

I should've figured 5750 was right. He predicted they would go to 77th months ago. So let's see The #4400's, #6000's, #6400's, #7900's all debuted at 77th. You know 103rd has six itself. They got the #7500's, #7300's, #5300's, #500's, #9800's first (if you count Beverly as 103rd which is sort of the same area covered) and #100's if you go back. Kedzie beats them all though, I can't believe it, they are big on hybrids: #4000's, #800's #900's #700's and if you go back #4000 americanas and #3000's and #300's. I forget did the #9000's debut at kedzie too? The #7000's and #7100's debuted at NP. Chicago and 74th has yet to have a debut? Shocking considering they are newer garages. Can FG claim the twins of the late 50's? If not they have the biggest drought. Must be kin to the Chicago Cubs. :lol:

Hey wait a minute Chicago has the #5900's and 74th could say it has the designline ecosaver!! Well a demonstrator is better than nothing!! :P

The 7900's are being delivered to 77th.

Maybe, maybe not. I wouldn't bet the farm on it, guys.

Their assignments seem to be limited to rush-hour service and only on 77th Street's lightest routes. Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the impression that they're still being tested.

Also, doesn't it seem weird that only seven 7900s have been delivered at this late date? Just wondering if maybe the CTA still has some unresolved issues with these buses.

In any case, for the above reasons, I think it's too early to assume that 77th will actually get the first Smart Buses. (For whatever it's worth, I'm guessing it'll be 74th because of security concerns and their large fleet of unshielded old Novas).

Maybe, maybe not. I wouldn't bet the farm on it, guys.

Their assignments seem to be limited to rush-hour service and only on 77th Street's lightest routes. Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the impression that they're still being tested.

Also, doesn't it seem weird that only seven 7900s have been delivered at this late date? Just wondering if maybe the CTA still has some unresolved issues with these buses.

In any case, for the above reasons, I think it's too early to assume that 77th will actually get the first Smart Buses. (For whatever it's worth, I'm guessing it'll be 74th because of security concerns and their large fleet of unshielded old Novas).

That opens up a whole new can of suspicions. I hope there's nothing wrong with the #7900's. It's going to be five months since they stated they would go into service and we have only seen two buses so far barely doing more than tripper service.

One would think there would have been some reports of driver training here by now.

But maybe that's the hold up.

77th started training for 7900's around late May, I don't know if all operators are trained by now but the process has started.

77th started training for 7900's around late May, I don't know if all operators are trained by now but the process has started.

Which I think is the best evidence of who is going to get the buses.

Still wonder why the Emanuel dog and pony show was at 74th, though.

• Upvote 1

Which I think is the best evidence of who is going to get the buses.

Still wonder why the Emanuel dog and pony show was at 74th, though.

That is a good point because Chicago was trained on it to, and as said previously it will initially be 77/C split. It is suspicious that the 7900 hasn't touched a FG or 74th route, they need these the most.

I should've figured 5750 was right. He predicted they would go to 77th months ago. So let's see The #4400's, #6000's, #6400's, #7900's all debuted at 77th. You know 103rd has six itself. They got the #7500's, #7300's, #5300's, #500's, #9800's first (if you count Beverly as 103rd which is sort of the same area covered) and #100's if you go back. Kedzie beats them all though, I can't believe it, they are big on hybrids: #4000's, #800's #900's #700's and if you go back #4000 americanas and #3000's and #300's. I forget did the #9000's debut at kedzie too? The #7000's and #7100's debuted at NP. Chicago and 74th has yet to have a debut? Shocking considering they are newer garages. Can FG claim the twins of the late 50's? If not they have the biggest drought. Must be kin to the Chicago Cubs. :lol:

Hey wait a minute Chicago has the #5900's and 74th could say it has the designline ecosaver!! Well a demonstrator is better than nothing!! :P

you forgot 4300/4333' at 103

I should've figured 5750 was right. He predicted they would go to 77th months ago. So let's see The #4400's, #6000's, #6400's, #7900's all debuted at 77th. ...

But don't forget, Archer isn't going to get any this time, like they did the 1000s and 1000s.

Only constant seems again to be that 74th gets the short end of the stick. I'm sure 77 will send its best wrecked 1000s to 74.

But don't forget, Archer isn't going to get any this time, like they did the 1000s and 1000s.

Only constant seems again to be that 74th gets the short end of the stick. I'm sure 77 will send its best wrecked 1000s to 74.

You know that Archer Garage does not exist anymore.