7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

I definitely believe that 6709-6883 will be the group that will remain until the end. I would definitely look at some point to see 6876-6883 migrate from 74th to FG when they get enough of another bus type(New Flyers or 7900's) to move them out. It wouldn't take much as it's just six buses. Will FG keep 6709-6883 until the end is another question or will these buses be split up among several garages is another question.

it probably will be many different bus numbers from all garages collectively in a set. #6553, #6592 and now #6769 has blue kneeling decals. #6553 seems to be really running well I think it will be there at the end.

it probably will be many different bus numbers from all garages collectively in a set. #6553, #6592 and now #6769 has blue kneeling decals. #6553 seems to be really running well I think it will be there at the end.

I wonder if the Novas with the blue kneeling decals have had life extending minor rehabs(just enough components rebuilt/rehabbed to get a few additional weeks/months out of the buses).

I really don't CTA5750 should be livid that 77th seems to be getting the 7900s first. First, remember 77th did have the oldest 6400s for years until recently( that would seem like a reason to get new buses). Also take into consideration that South Shops, which is the major heavy duty maintenance facility for CTA is on the same property as the 77th garage. Thus it would seem to be prudent that new equipment get teethed at 77th. History has shown that for the most part, 77th doesn't get to keep the new equipment it gets (9600 GMCs, 4000 Americanas, 6000 Flxs, 4000 New Flyer artics, and the 4300 series artics). I don't know if his issue is about 77th getting new equipment or FG not getting new equipment. I strongly believe that FG is in line to get the new buses, but considering that FG has the best of the old Novas, why should that garage get them first when the crappiest of the Novas are at 74th and Chicago? Perhaps at the end of the teething period, those buses at 77th will get transferred to those two other garages.

We still don't know the breakdown of how these buses will be delivered. If 4 garages are slated for 75 buses each, then 77th will indeed have some new buses. If 3 garages are slated for 100, then 77th should be the odd garage out. Then there is the issue of any remaining options that CTA could exercise, be it 150 additional Novas or a mix of 40' and/or Articulated buses from New Flyer totaling 150 buses.

In the meantime, why can't FG get Chicago's highest numbered NF buses (1980 to 2029)? I definitely think FG got the shaft on NF deliveries in that when FG did get some, they got older hand me downs only to see them get taken away.

I just get disappointed at the trend over the years of how CTA distributes new equipment, at times not including the Nw side of Chicago. Residents here ride the CTA buses and trains just as often and in large numbers as any other part of the city. Also, the fact that the residents here have only the Blue line and are forced to having ride 30 year old train cars while the rest of the city enjoys the new L cars. Were also constantly stuck riding "hand me down" buses as well as trains! We have more "hand me down" equipment than new equipment in this part of town! If any other person on this blog were in the position were in, Im sure they would be upset as well.

I just get disappointed at the trend over the years of how CTA distributes new equipment, at times not including the Nw side of Chicago. Residents here ride the CTA buses and trains just as often and in large numbers as any other part of the city. Also, the fact that the residents here have only the Blue line and are forced to having ride 30 year old train cars while the rest of the city enjoys the new L cars. Were also constantly stuck riding "hand me down" buses as well as trains! We have more "hand me down" equipment than new equipment in this part of town! If any other person on this blog were in the position were in, Im sure they would be upset as well.

I understand your disappointment. All I am saying is that I believe FG will get some 7900s and just hold out for a little bit longer. It is not like most CTA riders will know whether they are on a new bus or not aside from the interior. If CTA took one old Nova and rehabbed the inside to match the 7900s most riders wouldn't know the difference (although I think nearly everyone on here would). Most riders are interested in buses that are not crowded that run on time and have working climate control. .

I understand your disappointment. All I am saying is that I believe FG will get some 7900s and just hold out for a little bit longer. It is not like most CTA riders will know whether they are on a new bus or not aside from the interior. If CTA took one old Nova and rehabbed the inside to match the 7900s most riders wouldn't know the difference (although I think nearly everyone on here would). Most riders are interested in buses that are not crowded that run on time and have working climate control. .

Art;

In this case they might notice the lack of the "bathroom" on the left rear side of the bus. :lol:

• Upvote 1

I caught bus 7904 dead heading back to the 77th garage( probably coming off a 52A route) not too long I got a good close look at it too. It's really a great looking bus and literally driving right beside it that bus was so frickin quiet I barely heard the engine. I was laughin at the operator cause you can tell he was being extremely careful while driving the bus which I would understand of course but I still gotta chuckle out of it. I would've taken pics but I was driving and it was a cop right in front of me but I'm really excited about them tho as both a operator and a life long fan of buses but epically chicago's own cta buses. If only 103rd could get some heck I still wanna drive the old Novas before they're all retired.

Here's the shots I got of #7904 today.

post-304-0-06025200-1404877899_thumb.png

post-304-0-32156500-1404877966_thumb.png

post-304-0-08057400-1404877860_thumb.png

post-304-0-87621000-1404877837_thumb.png

post-304-0-26657500-1404877816_thumb.png

post-304-0-41427100-1404877934_thumb.png

I'm learning more and more about these buses the more I'm on them. I heard this crazy sound like an old alarm from like a car and I thought it was someone's ringtone, but guess what I think it's the driver's seat alarm after a few seconds of this sound the interior lights start pulsating like hey the bus is in gear. These buses are loaded with safety features. I'm really starting to love these seats. I think they they are the most comfortable yet. They are made so that your behind sits like in a bucket cause the edges of the seats wrap around. Cool!! This bus had the lights that got brighter too when the door was opened so maybe CTA is going to keep that. It couldn't hurt.

• Upvote 4

Here's #7927. I was around the 77th garage area yesterday on 79th street to see the Novas but this was the only one there.

Been there since June 10th. Novabus or CTA is lagging here... I think it's Novabus, as there are complaints from others on Facebook about orders.

Whoa... might be serious with this 1st comment...

• Is it true that nova is hiring orion bus workers to stall build buses in plattsburg???(7/7/14)
  • don't see any NovaBus News of what is Happening at the Plant in Plattsburgh, N.Y. What's up with that? No Pictures or info? We'd like to know! Marc and Renee Youngmann(5/6/14)
  • What is the holdup on the delivery of The Neva 62 Ft. buses to SEPTA.... We have seem a photo of 7368 at your factory or somewhere up north(5/5/14)

What in the world is going on in Plattsburgh? Is Novabus imploding on itself or what? What might that mean for the 7900-Series Novas' future if any of these comments, particularly the latest one bears fruit... this looks serious, especially after reading the top comment. Doing a general search on the topic Novabus stalling and Novabus slowdown yields no results, but there are a few different transit enthusiasts inquiring on the Facebook page.

Haha. To start building buses in Plattsburgh, more likely. Otherwise the sentence doesn't make sense.

If anything, Nova is ramping up production in Plattsburgh. The new Prevost X3-45 order for MTA should be assembled in the Nova plant, so perhaps that's why Nova is recruiting. If rumours spread by fans are true, that is.

Haha. To start building buses in Plattsburgh, more likely. Otherwise the sentence doesn't make sense.

If anything, Nova is ramping up production in Plattsburgh. The new Prevost X3-45 order for MTA should be assembled in the Nova plant, so perhaps that's why Nova is recruiting. If rumours spread by fans are true, that is.

A combination of that, plus that the Orion workers are out of work.

Other than that, Nova has an official site, which isn't Facebook.

Update: Plattsburgh newspaper article about an addition to the Plattsburgh facilities to handle the Prevost order, including that Prevost won the contract on the basis of more New York content than MCI, as well as being cheaper.

Been there since June 10th. Novabus or CTA is lagging here... I think it's Novabus, as there are complaints from others on Facebook about orders.

Whoa... might be serious with this 1st comment...

• Is it true that nova is hiring orion bus workers to stall build buses in plattsburg???(7/7/14)
  • don't see any NovaBus News of what is Happening at the Plant in Plattsburgh, N.Y. What's up with that? No Pictures or info? We'd like to know! Marc and Renee Youngmann(5/6/14)
  • What is the holdup on the delivery of The Neva 62 Ft. buses to SEPTA.... We have seem a photo of 7368 at your factory or somewhere up north(5/5/14)
What in the world is going on in Plattsburgh? Is Novabus imploding on itself or what? What might that mean for the 7900-Series Novas' future if any of these comments, particularly the latest one bears fruit... this looks serious, especially after reading the top comment. Doing a general search on the topic Novabus stalling and Novabus slowdown yields no results, but there are a few different transit enthusiasts inquiring on the Facebook page.
I'm aware it was there since then, but this is my first time seeing one up close.