7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

Well unfortunately it would seem that 5750 won't be as pleased as thought. BusTracker had some really big glitches yesterday that screwed up the bus IDs where 6400 series Novas showed up as NF 1000s, 800s, and even as each of the three artic models;1000s appeared as other 1000s; 1000s appeared as 4333s, and so on and so on. FG buses were really affected by the glitch with Novas appearing as NF 1000s from all over the city. So it's extremely likely that 7927 showing up on the 80 was in reality a 6400 from FG.

Only Kevin can really say. If it is true and it might be, that might mean they would be going to FG next, but really a #7900 would run as a rush hour regular as training for the operators, not as a one time deal. Either CTA wanted to see something on #7927 or it was a glitch. Kind of weird though is if you go back in the thread #7927 was on the #1 yesterday and I think the #2 or some other route. So when does it have time to run down Irving Pk?

For what it is worth, on my way to work on Thursday or Friday morning, as I was inbound on the Kennedy

going under Milwaukee ave at 4:15 am, I saw a bus heading to Jeff on Milwaukee that appeared to be a

7900. It was dark, it was early and I was closer to Central than Milwaukee, but what I saw was the extended

higher back with the vents and that is what caught my eye. Unfortunately, when I got a little closer, it was

out of sight. So, maybe it was a flying saucer or it could have been that my eyes did NOT deceive me and

I actually saw what I thought. :)

Only Kevin can really say. If it is true and it might be, that might mean they would be going to FG next, but really a #7900 would run as a rush hour regular as training for the operators, not as a one time deal. Either CTA wanted to see something on #7927 or it was a glitch. Kind of weird though is if you go back in the thread #7927 was on the #1 yesterday and I think the #2 or some other route. So when does it have time to run down Irving Pk?

Thus my point that 7927 on the 80 was most likely one of the glitches on the Tracker. If you know for a fact that 7927 was on the 1 and possibly the 2, then you confirmed that point. Simple logic dictates that a bus in service at its home garage, even if on a rush hour only route, it's somewhat unlikely to suddenly find itself on loan to a different garage the very same day provided the procedure for accounting for a bus on loan is similar to that for transferred buses. And for bus transfers, it doesn't sound like they get put in service at their prior garage placement the same day they're going to be transferred.

A supervisor does have the power to say hey do a trip on this route or do a shuttle if for some reason something happens like the Blue line totally stops running but why the #80, it doesn't even cross a 77th route unless someone said to a operator on the #8 hey go to Irving/Broadway and do a trip west on the #80. But the fact remains it was not on the #8 yesterday, so it would probably have made better sense to run it up the #56 if it did happen.

Bottom line is this....

• 7927 was just a pull-in from a 77th route to do one run on #80(I can't see this as possible as 77th is a long way from #80, and that would be a lot of deadheading after the fact).
  • The BusTracker glitch was really a 6400-Series Nova Bus masquerading as 7927.

The only way to verify it would be if someone put eyes on this bus on the day in question. Kevin mentioned it was on the #80 and went back to 77th afterwards. The fact he mentioned about the glitch means that he saw 7927 running on #80 via BusTracker, not with his own eyes or via the eyes of a contact he might know. So, we'll never really know which one of the two above is true.

Well unfortunately it would seem that 5750 won't be as pleased as thought. BusTracker had some really big glitches yesterday that screwed up the bus IDs where 6400 series Novas showed up as NF 1000s, 800s, and even as each of the three artic models;1000s appeared as other 1000s; 1000s appeared as 4333s, and so on and so on. FG buses were really affected by the glitch with Novas appearing as NF 1000s from all over the city. So it's extremely likely that 7927 showing up on the 80 was in reality a 6400 from FG.

Thanks for the love everyone!!! ;)

Which raises the point that nobody has reported anything new, lately.

Well That's A Good Thing Then Maybe They Figured Out The Issues With The Brakes And Decide To Run Them During Off Peak Because I Remember Seeing 7904 On The 8 Last Week About 11:45 SB At 34th

Well That's A Good Thing Then Maybe They Figured Out The Issues With The Brakes And Decide To Run Them During Off Peak Because I Remember Seeing 7904 On The 8 Last Week About 11:45 SB At 34th

The reference was to nothing new with regard to which buses or where they were found on BusTracker.

BTW, what's with the Initial Caps?

• Upvote 2

7901 is a night car on number 8.

Update 7/23: 7901 on #1, 7910 on #8, 7920 on #79

That's a first a #7900 on #79. I think the only route they haven't been on now is the #4. So where is the rest of the deliveries? I was thinking that like the #6400's maybe the second garage (most likely Chicago because they have seen the most of the prototype) will be getting buses before 77th gets 50 buses as they will be really stocked up with finished models at Novabus. We may actually see a #8000 before too long.

Depends on what is in the contract.

Well what is in the CTA contract that could be holding them up so long? The smooth gray floor might've been stock for Nova Buses of today(CTA has always opted for a lined floor either black or blue). The "no rear-facing seat" rule wouldn't hold up production. The additional LED lighting seems like the only thing that would put a slight delay on these buses, otherwise they're pretty much stock Nova Buses. The Cummins ISL9 engine was tested with Nova Bus prior to CTA's order and the redesigned LFS has been around for a year or two now.

I really don't see anything in the contract that could take a long time to build and ship these buses out to their customers. SEPTA is definitely in the right for fining Nova Bus here. CTA may have to resort to this soon, too.... these are buses Nova introduced already and have been showcasing. They should be able to get several of them built within a week tops unless they are understaffed in Plattsburgh.