7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

Here's some shots of NB #8001 in the loop, this was taken from my cameraphone. I did use my new camera to film the SB #8001, plus I took a few standard pictures. I just need to figure out how to transfer the video/pictures to my computer and I'll put them up. It needs to sync between the two devices by wi-fi and I need to learn how to do that. But I really notice the shutter speed difference just using it and it was pretty stable. It has camera stabilization. I think I'm going like it, I just have to get used to it. :)

post-304-0-91353300-1423283062_thumb.png

post-304-0-16270000-1423283074_thumb.png

• Upvote 2

Here's some shots of NB #8001 in the loop, this was taken from my cameraphone. I did use my new camera to film the SB #8001, plus I took a few standard pictures. I just need to figure out how to transfer the video/pictures to my computer and I'll put them up. It needs to sync between the two devices by wi-fi and I need to learn how to do that. But I really notice the shutter speed difference just using it and it was pretty stable. It has camera stabilization. I think I'm going like it, I just have to get used to it. :)

attachicon.gifcta 8001 on 62.PNG

attachicon.gifcta 8001 on 62 2-6-15.PNG

BusHunter tested..... Vinnie Mac approved.... :lol:

He did offer an apology, but it's not very clean, so I think I'd better not air it on here.

• Upvote 1

Well... Drumroll.... Here they are pictures with my new camera of #8001. It is better than my cameraphone when you consider these were night shots. Gone are the halos and the image is clearer, the lighting is better and I can read the destination. This should look really good in the daylight. While not National Geographic quality, I guess I'm up to Garmon's level.

post-304-0-95542300-1423288644_thumb.png post-304-0-12713800-1423288668_thumb.png post-304-0-87515300-1423288678_thumb.png

• Upvote 4

Well... Drumroll.... Here they are pictures with my new camera of #8001. It is better than my cameraphone when you consider these were night shots. Gone are the halos and the image is clearer, the lighting is better and I can read the destination. This should look really good in the daylight. While not National Geographic quality, I guess I'm up to Garmon's level.

You need to continue using that camera because those are some great shots!!!

Has anyone managed to find an #8000 on 75 or 165? 165 might take some time, since it is fairly elusive, but I am still surprised that none have shown up on 75. 75 gets more nova's than any 74th route aside from 62 and 67. It also has one of the higher riderships at 74th (only 6 routes have a higher ridership, meaning the 75 has higher ridership than the 65% of the routes at 74th)

Has anyone managed to find an #8000 on 75 or 165? 165 might take some time, since it is fairly elusive, but I am still surprised that none have shown up on 75. 75 gets more nova's than any 74th route aside from 62 and 67. It also has one of the higher riderships at 74th (only 6 routes have a higher ridership, meaning the 75 has higher ridership than the 65% of the routes at 74th)

I'm not quite sure of your estimates there (44, 48 and 94 have a higher Nova against NF ratio than the 67 for example as well as 94 probably having a higher ridership than 75 given the later service end time on 94 than on 75), but no no one has reported seeing a Nova Smart bus on 75 yet. But that's more to do with the fact there are still barely ten of them in service so far at 74th for the time being than where Novas from 74th get assigned.

I'm not quite sure of your estimates there (44, 48 and 94 have a higher Nova against NF ratio than the 67 for example as well as 94 probably having a higher ridership than 75 given the later service end time on 94 than on 75), but no no one has reported seeing a Nova Smart bus on 75 yet. But that's more to do with the fact there are still barely ten of them in service so far at 74th for the time being than where Novas from 74th get assigned.

Not even my girlfriend saw one on #75 yet! :lol:

My 1st ride is still pending.....

I was heading SB on #9 last week and saw #8007 heading NB on Ashland at about Webster. As time(and numbers) progress, my 1st ride no doubt will come....

Yeah same here. Seems like so far when I see one on the #9, it's going the opposite direction I need to go. :lol:

Man, now its a waiting game. I truly thought CTA was trying to become all NF... Personally, these nova's are still ugly, but they did get rid of that nasty backwards' seating. Are they remaining nova's getting delivered to 74th or are there other destinations (hopefully FG)?

Considering that CTA has up to 8199 out of the base order to go, and up to 8349 when they exercise the option as they announced they plan to do likely next year as the 2015 budget reflects no money allotted for them but still announces the option is planned to be exercised, it's doubtful that the rest is going to 74th. It's more likely that 74th will get one hundred assigned as 77th did, meaning the likely assigned buses will go up to only 8099.

#8021-28 have arrived. #8013 and #8019 must've been released from the shop.

Wow, they have about 20 buses to release. One day here we are going to see 5-10 new buses on the street at once. The deliveries have really accelerated. I wonder if Nova bus is trying to get back on track with deliveries because they were behind with whatever was going on last year. According to the delivery schedule they are supposed to have 300 buses here by the end of 2015. That would be 150 buses by the end of the first quarter which is next month. So technically to be on time, they need to get 20 more buses here by a month. I don't know if there is a penalty on the contract if they are late.

Wow, they have about 20 buses to release. One day here we are going to see 5-10 new buses on the street at once. The deliveries have really accelerated. I wonder if Nova bus is trying to get back on track with deliveries because they were behind with whatever was going on last year. According to the delivery schedule they are supposed to have 300 buses here by the end of 2015. That would be 150 buses by the end of the first quarter which is next month. So technically to be on time, they need to get 20 more buses here by a month. I don't know if there is a penalty on the contract if they are late.

Depending on the circumstances, I don't think they'll get penalized unless they're way behind causing delays towards multiple transit agencies. This isn't Bombardier when Cta got totally screwed by them because of the key flaws. No way in hell they'll get 300 here but it will say that it's a possibility that they can squeeze the total to at least 175-200. That's just extremely overkill towards the workers because they'll have to rack up a tremendous amount of overtime to get 300 done this year.

Depending on the circumstances, I don't think they'll get penalized unless they're way behind causing delays towards multiple transit agencies. This isn't Bombardier when Cta got totally screwed by them because of the key flaws. No way in hell they'll get 300 here but it will say that it's a possibility that they can squeeze the total to at least 175-200. That's just extremely overkill towards the workers because they'll have to rack up a tremendous amount of overtime to get 300 done this year.

They should be able to do it, in fact they probably will. Once the initial kinks get worked out and I guess they have as deliveries are straight numerical sequence, it should be easy to fill the order. The buses are built up to #8049, if they are doing 50 bus blocks. So all they have to do is drive them over. The question is did they build or are building #8050-#8099? If they are they could probably take a couple months break and work on Septa or whomever they are building buses for after. They did do a factory expansion for Prevost buses, so I wonder could that be retrofitted to build Nova buses. It seems to me the bigger market would be the US mass transit industry.

Man, now its a waiting game. I truly thought CTA was trying to become all NF... Personally, these nova's are still ugly, but they did get rid of that nasty backwards' seating. Are they remaining nova's getting delivered to 74th or are there other destinations (hopefully FG)?

FG isnt getting them! Theyre going to continue to get "hand me downs" from 74th and probably later on from Chicago. Im told Chicago will get the remaining buses once 74th delivery is complete. I(f the additional 150 buses are coming, then Ill put my bets on FG, maybe! But considering whats been going on up this way the past several years, Im not holding out hope to see anything new this way! Believe me, the drivers at FG are fed up!

FG isnt getting them! Theyre going to continue to get "hand me downs" from 74th and probably later on from Chicago. Im told Chicago will get the remaining buses once 74th delivery is complete. I(f the additional 150 buses are coming, then Ill put my bets on FG, maybe! But considering whats been going on up this way the past several years, Im not holding out hope to see anything new this way! Believe me, the drivers at FG are fed up!

What's the ridership over there on the NW side? I only asked that cause maybe it's not as heavy as it is out south and they(whose ever in charge of bus assignments) don't feel like new equipment is needed as much as it is on the south side, just maybe. Or perhaps not enough people are complaining about the lack of newer buses maybe some dont care as long at theyre getting to where they need to get to on time. The operators at FG need to speak up as well cause they're the ones out in the field and have to deal with the Novas hands on so they can make change too if a lot are fed up with it. I can understand why you feel the way you do, but actions speak louder so if y'all want newer equipment speak to the right people, rattle some cages and let it be known then you'll get what you asked for. I don't understand why ever garage can't have every series of bus myself, I understand some can't handle artics based on a particular but when it comes to 40fters I don't see why we all can't have a piece of the pie. Operators should know how to operate every bus in the system is how I feel.

What's the ridership over there on the NW side? I only asked that cause maybe it's not as heavy as it is out south and they(whose ever in charge of bus assignments) don't feel like new equipment is needed as much as it is on the south side, just maybe. ...

Depends on the route, and you have to consider that FG has the crosstown routes. Diversey (11,400) Belmont (21,600), Irving Park (12,400), and Lawrence (11,400) are extremely heavy (numbers for weekday in the Nov. 2014 Ridership Report). On the other hand, you probably are talking peanuts for the routes north and west of Jefferson Park.

Maybe more troubling is while bus boardings are down 5% system wide, weekdays, those on the north side are down about 8-9%. One route not conforming to that trend is 56 (up 27%), but maybe because of the Blue Line closures.

Depends on the route, and you have to consider that FG has the crosstown routes. Diversey (11,400) Belmont (21,600), Irving Park (12,400), and Lawrence (11,400) are extremely heavy (numbers for weekday in the Nov. 2014 Ridership Report). On the other hand, you probably are talking peanuts for the routes north and west of Jefferson Park.

Maybe more troubling is while bus boardings are down 5% system wide, weekdays, those on the north side are down about 10%.

Probably due to a loss of 5-10 percent of the service!! Plus if the buses are old and they don't clean them in the winter why would someone want to ride that?

Hmmm given the debunked rumor you passed on to us not so long ago that 77th was getting all 300 of the base order by virtue of the fact 74th is now getting a share and CTA's reporting in the 2015 budget report that they planned on exercising the option for the extra 150 sometime after the 2015 fiscal year (I'm saying after since they announced wanting to exercise the option without allotting money for that in the 2015 budget numbers), I think I'll stick with continuing to watch how things unfold before going into a freak out of who's not getting what because recent events show nobody on the outside of the bus assignment folks know what buses will be allotted where.

• Upvote 1

Who says FG won't get any? The same was said about 74th not getting NFs but look what happened. I don't see C getting the next Novas, but if they do then I expect FG to get NFS until the option for 150 new buses gets exercised.