Random Metra

garmon757

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, richii0909 said:

I was watching this old movie of metra electric disctrict... the film looks to be set at the 18th street yard... if you watch at 4:00 mark it’s interesting to see a diesel train cab in towards millennium station.. where was it going? Any ideas??

Probably on the South Shore. In 1989 NICTD leased a Metra diesel double decker train set and ran one trip per day each way on the South Shore as an express. The Metra train was replaced with standard South Shore cars when the trailers were added to the rolling stock in 1992. The Randolph St South Shore station downtown was above ground at that time. It was rebuilt 1998-2002 with Millenium Park built above it.

1 hour ago, busfan2847 said:

Probably on the South Shore. In 1989 NICTD leased a Metra diesel double decker train set and ran one trip per day each way on the South Shore as an express. The Metra train was replaced with standard South Shore cars when the trailers were added to the rolling stock in 1992. The Randolph St South Shore station downtown was above ground at that time. It was rebuilt 1998-2002 with Millenium Park built above it.

Thank you for that it was interesting to know. Hmmm I wonder if the electric line ever had a thought of going to diesel at any point. It’s just that the rolling stock over all can’t interchange ever with this district. 

34 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Probably more likely an RI district trainset there for some maintenance reason. No way the South Shore could handle that long or big of a train.

Too blurry for me to make out the locomotive number.

Actually it seems to be the perfect  size.   It looks like 6 bilevels and a locomotive.   The longest SS trains are 8 cars.  The SS cars and the bilevels  are the same length.  The speed of the train tells you it didn't  come from the St Charles  Air Line, hence not comingdirecyly from a diesel line and the locomotive is on the South end of the train that's going NB.  I tried and failed to  catch this train when it was running on the SS.

On 4/8/2018 at 4:54 PM, Busjack said:

Probably more likely an RI district trainset there for some maintenance reason. No way the South Shore could handle that long or big of a train.

Too blurry for me to make out the locomotive number.

No definitely South Shore. It was common in 1980s and early 1990s when SS had a shortage. Attached is 126 street running in Michigan City.

Metra Locomotive and Cars, NICTD Train #117 in Michigan City, IN on July 10, 1987. When NICTD was short of cars, a Metra train was borrowed. On weekdays it came in from Michigan City in the morning and went back at night, from Marty Bernard's Flickr feed https://www.flickr.com/photos/129679309@N05/16252000229/in/photostream/

image.png

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, busfan2847 said:

No definitely South Shore. It was common in 1980s and early 1990s when SS had a shortage. Attached is 126 street running in Michigan City.

Metra Locomotive and Cars, NICTD Train #117 in Michigan City, IN on July 10, 1987. When NICTD was short of cars, a Metra train was borrowed. On weekdays it came in from Michigan City in the morning and went back at night, from Marty Bernard's Flickr feed https://www.flickr.com/photos/129679309@N05/16252000229/in/photostream/

image.png

Nice find thank you for that!

17 hours ago, busfan2847 said:

image.png

Freaky...but documented. Thanks.

1 hour ago, richii0909 said:

Interesting I was on up north line and there was a 7200 series car but it was numbered 8247. It was a cab car I just thought it was interesting. Any insight about numbering?

The 8200s are all cab cars but ceased being used as such when the 8500s arrived. Cab windows are still there. Similarly, the 8500s and 6000s were the same order.

More freaky was that the former C&NW cars were renumbered into 7700s and 8700s.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, geneking7320 said:

Hi Folks;

I saw the latest type Metra locomotive on the Rock Island painted in the pre-Metra colors yesterday. Sorry I didn't get a pic.

That is a tribute to Orseno (story with picture).

BTW, they better find someone to honor with 427, which is rusty as hell.

I don't really care for the MP36PH's... I don't like their slow take off's. It appears this locomotive has a dynamic engine RPM range (minimum idle for HEP and then what ever ranges for take off). My two cents lol and im sure that may save fuel overall.

On another note... as many of you are aware the UP north has started up the bridge projects again... I noticed right after clybourn there is a crew and it appears they are filling in a gap off to the side west side by the bridge and after passing looks like another service with the same thing. Do they plan to add a new bridge at the furthest edge or whats the deal.