700-series XE40 - Deliveries & Assignments

Kevin

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Well they are not supposed to get the balance of proterras until the testing is complete in case there is an issue somewhere. They should be testing soon. As far as putting them at 77th/south shops, hopefully they can charge the buses without a tower. There's got to be a plug somewhere. If not then they are destined for chicago, but how you would maintain them comes to mind. 

I guess the delay has to do with the towers construction. The future of the industry is charging pads, at least they can't get run over or knocked down. I feel like this is another Ballard #5900. So far I havent been proven wrong. I wonder why all the emphasis on electric, I thought hybrid was good. Electric just seems too bold a step. But that's where the world is heading. On Uber they want to have either all hybrid or electric cars by 2030. They want to start a platform called uber green where you can request an electric car, but It can be hybrid. There's gonna be incentives per ride to pick up passengers on uber green. Me personally, I was going to buy a hybrid anyway. There getting cheaper than they used to be. 

The Navy pier construction is the key to pandoras box because I feel like once its completed the #700s will be shipped to Chicago garage and magically the #600s will appear not to far behind them at least the pilot #600 should be the first one to pop up. Is it also possible that whenever the full deliveries do come, would a bulk of them serve midway bound routes only out of 74th such as the 55s,59,63s and maybe the 62H? Is 74th even equipped yet to handle the #600s or even begin the process towards getting equipped?

7 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Tesla is supposed to be the fastest car off the line. Watch all those youtube 0-60 vids. Its freaky fast. Competes with lambo and ferrari but once it gets to 70 the supercars overtake it. I wouldnt buy a Prius or small car, but I like the full size hybrids. Theres even talk of a full size hybrid pickup with electrics coming soon. GM's big draw is gonna be the electric hummer when it comes out. Trucks get bad gas mileage. When that happens it's all over for the cars. 

I hope it dont be over I rather have a gas car cuz u gotta charge a electric car dont want my light bill to go to hell

After some long over due snooping I've finally found the location of the charging ports that the #700s use. It is a fairly medium sized port that is mounted up agaisnt a wall of the bay along with a charging cord that comes out from the bottom of it that leads to the charging outlet of the bus. It was hard to find at first but after getting a closer view inside the bay I finally figured it out. So this leads me to wonder if Chicago has something similar setup along with 74th? 

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So apparently the CTA finally gave some updates on the #700s and apparently they underwent a mid life rehab, which would explain why they haven't been as active this past year. The #600s are starting to take there place though in the  eastern shops where they've been for the longest, so maybe just maybe they'll be active for 2022.

10 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

So apparently the CTA finally gave some updates on the #700s and apparently they underwent a mid life rehab, which would explain why they haven't been as active this past year. The #600s are starting to take there place though in the  eastern shops where they've been for the longest, so maybe just maybe they'll be active for 2022.

I've heard word that they'll be operational by Q2 next year (not sure what month range that is) but the rehab news is surprise to me as well. It's about that time for them too, right, they're like 6 years old? My guess from here is that they'll be moved to 74th and will be running on the 63.

16 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I've heard word that they'll be operational by Q2 next year (not sure what month range that is) but the rehab news is surprise to me as well. It's about that time for them too, right, they're like 6 years old? My guess from here is that they'll be moved to 74th and will be running on the 63.

Most definitely, I honestly think they should go back to Kedzie just to give them a better image as far as P/R is concerned for CTA. Having #600s on the 66 and #700s on the 124 and maybe even the 120-125s would help keep the mileage down on them along with maintenance. 

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

Kind of suspicious to me. They go to NF get a new pan charger and then do a mid life rehab? The buses must barely have any miles on them. What is there to rehab. The buses cause they are electric have no engine and alot of other things like exhausts. When 700 had the fire it probably needed some new parts as well so how do they rehab something that is new. It seems to me now they are in the same boat as the 600s, you barely see them. For what cta is trying to do with chargers at the terminals, they were better off before. At least the buses ran.

I hope the intel is wrong. 15 buses sitting at SS for 6 months is not my idea of a successful venture. Maybe they can shuttle employee around the lot!! Lol!!

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Kind of suspicious to me. They go to NF get a new pan charger and then do a mid life rehab? The buses must barely have any miles on them. What is there to rehab. The buses cause they are electric have no engine and alot of other things like exhausts. When 700 had the fire it probably needed some new parts as well so how do they rehab something that is new. It seems to me now they are in the same boat as the 600s, you barely see them. For what cta is trying to do with chargers at the terminals, they were better off before. At least the buses ran.

I hope the intel is wrong. 15 buses sitting at SS for 6 months is not my idea of a successful venture. Maybe they can shuttle employee around the lot!! Lol!!

Lol, a real ship of Theseus moment ???

5 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Well the last 12 besides #606-#609 have been delivered in the past month or so where as the other 3 have been here since the late summer. I doubt all of them will be sitting no more than a month if all else goes well. As far as the #700s are concerned it's better to keep them in house for as long as possible until everything that was ordered can be put to use at the same time. What is boggling my mind is CTAay purchase some Electric Novas in the next few years to test out.

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

Well the last 12 besides #606-#609 have been delivered in the past month or so where as the other 3 have been here since the late summer. I doubt all of them will be sitting no more than a month if all else goes well. As far as the #700s are concerned it's better to keep them in house for as long as possible until everything that was ordered can be put to use at the same time. What is boggling my mind is CTAay purchase some Electric Novas in the next few years to test out.

I could have swore I saw another RFP of electrics for 20-25 more but maybe Im wrong. Bus procurement lately at cta has been slow. They need to shift the cart into high gear or they will find themselves replacing artics and 40 footers at the same time. It might happen anyway. Theres also the 4300 rehab on the horizon, so things may get very busy soon. They claim theres 96 to rehab in the budget. So whats missing??? #4323, #4333. Whats the other 2? 

21 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I could have swore I saw another RFP of electrics for 20-25 more but maybe Im wrong. Bus procurement lately at cta has been slow. They need to shift the cart into high gear or they will find themselves replacing artics and 40 footers at the same time. It might happen anyway. Theres also the 4300 rehab on the horizon, so things may get very busy soon. They claim theres 96 to rehab in the budget. So whats missing??? #4323, #4333. Whats the other 2? 

Based on what I got from the recent board meeting they don't have the allocated funds right now to replace everything that was scheduled to be replaced other than the first option of 100 #8350.They put a real strong emphasis on getting rid of the remaining #6400s as soon as possible. So more than likely they will be replacing alot of #1000s & #4000s at the same time a few years later than they should have. As far as the 4300s rehabs are concerned my only guess is #4300 and maybe the holiday bus but then again I'm not entirely sure.

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Based on what I got from the recent board meeting they don't have the allocated funds right now to replace everything that was scheduled to be replaced other than the first option of 100 #8350.They put a real strong emphasis on getting rid of the remaining #6400s as soon as possible. So more than likely they will be replacing alot of #1000s & #4000s at the same time a few years later than they should have. As far as the 4300s rehabs are concerned my only guess is #4300 and maybe the holiday bus but then again I'm not entirely sure.

yea those #6400 won’t see summer 2022 

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

my only guess is #4300 and maybe the holiday bus but then again I'm not entirely sure.

4374 is the holiday bus

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

According to maths cta run number history, which is a great addition btw, 4300, 4312 and 4328 have no history out of the hybrids. According to rtams inventory theres 65 diesels and 31 hybrids. So they are one short on each of those beside the one we know about. 

It's not hard to axe the 6400s, they barely run 5 to 10 buses now. 

31 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

According to maths cta run number history, which is a great addition btw, 4300, 4312 and 4328 have no history out of the hybrids. According to rtams inventory theres 65 diesels and 31 hybrids. So they are one short on each of those beside the one we know about. 

they can easily axe the 6400’s your definitely correct but they DEFINITELY won’t see spring 2022 or summer 2022 

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Looks I'll have to do some snooping around then to find the other two, Also getting rid of the entire fleet of remaining #6400s does seem pretty easy but that all depends on the delivery process of the #8350s and remaining #600s. If any hiccups occurs going into the spring of 2022 they'll still be here in some capacity.  

4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

True with that less of them remaining in service, it is really easy to send the rest of the #6400s into the dead zone when they get the #8350s at the table.