700-series XE40 - Deliveries & Assignments

Kevin

On 8/21/2018 at 11:52 AM, Busjack said:

Maybe NF is performing its $1.2 million contract to modify them.

The mention of the installation of a charging at Midway turnaround in the agenda item about this contract makes me wonder if either Chicago Garage or 74th will be a new home for at least one of these buses since Chicago's 54B and 74th's Midway short routes as well as its longer routes 47, 55, 59, 62 and 63 use the Midway bus turnaround. 

2 hours ago, jajuan said:

The mention of the installation of a charging at Midway turnaround in the agenda item about this contract makes me wonder if either Chicago Garage or 74th will be a new home for at least one of these buses since Chicago's 54B and 74th's Midway short routes as well as its longer routes 47, 55, 59, 62 and 63 use the Midway bus turnaround. 

I would guess Chicago, if only for the reason that Chicago will be the primary home for the Proterra electric buses when they come.  The primary routes for those are the 66 and the 124.  Perhaps the 124 will shift from K to C during the next pick or two.  You mentioned the  54B which uses the Midway station, though it doesn't  terminate there.  I suppose though that 700 and/or 701 could shift to 74th, providing that either a new charging station be built at 74th garage or move  the existing charging station at 77th to 74th.

However I don't think  74th routes other than the 62 Archer (which doesn't  serve  Midwaay station except for owl service) are high profile routes to tour the electric bus service.  

6 hours ago, rvwnsd said:

I hear Forest Glen is getting electric buses, too!

cta9631.jpg

I'm sorry. Sometimes I can't help myself.

If you're talking 70 years ago, that was North Ave.FG had electric buses, but that was Irving Park and north of there. Bill V. says that FG got 77 in 1986.

On 8/25/2018 at 8:26 PM, artthouwill said:

I would guess Chicago, if only for the reason that Chicago will be the primary home for the Proterra electric buses when they come.  The primary routes for those are the 66 and the 124.  Perhaps the 124 will shift from K to C during the next pick or two.  You mentioned the  54B which uses the Midway station, though it doesn't  terminate there.  I suppose though that 700 and/or 701 could shift to 74th, providing that either a new charging station be built at 74th garage or move  the existing charging station at 77th to 74th.

However I don't think  74th routes other than the 62 Archer (which doesn't  serve  Midwaay station except for owl service) are high profile routes to tour the electric bus service.  

Not really necessary to shift 124 when K already has a charging station, and Navy Pier was also said to be getting a charging station. Plus my understanding is that these new charging stations are supposed to be quick charge units. So they wouldn't necessarily need to be at the route terminus even though I see the benefit of it. Besides I doubt the owners of Ford City Mall are going to allow one on property after they already went through the trouble of working with CTA to move the bus staging area to the other side of the mall away from the main lot. Buses still directly serve the mall but the location is in a remote enough location relatively speaking that Pace decided it wasn't worth the hassle to have its buses continue to pull into the mall lot. Plus my musing was more whether the plan is to have the bus at 77th be tested in a different garage location than a musing about the home for the Proterras. 

3 hours ago, jajuan said:

Not really necessary to shift 124 when K already has a charging station, and Navy Pier was also said to be getting a charging station. Plus my understanding is that these new charging stations are supposed to be quick charge units. So they wouldn't necessarily need to be at the route terminus even though I see the benefit of it. Besides I doubt the owners of Ford City Mall are going to allow one on property after they already went through the trouble of working with CTA to move the bus staging area to the other side of the mall away from the main lot. Buses still directly serve the mall but the location is in a remote enough location relatively speaking that Pace decided it wasn't worth the hassle to have its buses continue to pull into the mall lot. Plus my musing was more whether the plan is to have the bus at 77th be tested in a different garage location than a musing about the home for the Proterras. 

The question, though is why the ordinance with the change order for New Flyer included a charging station at Midway (not Ford City). Only thing that appears to make sense is 54B.

37 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Here's  another question.  Are the charging stations universal or manufacturer specific?

Proterra is supposed to be working on interoperable charging stations, or at least committing to a universal technology: https://www.proterra.com/press-release/proterra-introduces-new-high-power-interoperable-ev-charging-technology/

Also, are Proterra, New Flyer and BYD are the only major electric bus manufacturers in the US right now?

nova makes the LFSe

3 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Proterra is supposed to be working on interoperable charging stations, or at least committing to a universal technology: https://www.proterra.com/press-release/proterra-introduces-new-high-power-interoperable-ev-charging-technology/

Also, are Proterra, New Flyer and BYD are the only major electric bus manufacturers in the US right now?

19 hours ago, Busjack said:

The question, though is why the ordinance with the change order for New Flyer included a charging station at Midway (not Ford City). Only thing that appears to make sense is 54B.

That was my thinking as well. My musing though about why not Ford City in this case but Midway for the charging station I was hypothesizing my have been related to the recent move to construct the new bus terminal on the east side of the mall because mall owners no longer wanted that mass flux of CTA and Pace buses tearing up the lot on the west side of the mall a majority of mall customers would come in if they weren't going to the movies right away or at all when visiting the mall. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:12 PM, Busjack said:

How about Midway being CTA property and Ford City not with the mall management not allowing the charging station onto their property.

• Upvote 1