700-series XE40 - Deliveries & Assignments

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
6 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Surprised it's not testing on the #66 but maybe they are not far enough along. 77th is charging at the garage so why not Chicago?

I haven't seen any evidence that 77th has been charging the #700's yet but if they were where would they actually be charging them if they haven't been active much this year.

49 minutes ago, John7 said:

Because Chicago has the Proterra buses. 

The #600's or lack there of may not even be at Chicago at this point. Other than what I saw this past summer with the pilot #600 being at 77th briefly there hasn't been much traction with them yet towards entering service and that may be due to several factors including the current on-goimg construction.  

13 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

I haven't seen any evidence that 77th has been charging the #700's yet but if they were where would they actually be charging them if they haven't been active much this year.

The #600's or lack there of may not even be at Chicago at this point. Other than what I saw this past summer with the pilot #600 being at 77th briefly there hasn't been much traction with them yet towards entering service and that may be due to several factors including the current on-goimg construction.  

77th probably has a charger. Why not have one there, even if it's at south shops. That is heavy maintenance for CTA. How can they maintain anything if they don't have a basic charger. If the buses charge like a Tesla, it may be as simple as plugging them up. They might need a little electrical upgrade, but the power systems should already be heavy duty at South shops.

Eventually they may get to Chicago or 74th because why install a pan on the buses, if your running them on 79th? I think the running of them on 79th is the first in a series of baby steps, when they have proven themselves, they'll move to the next level. It would be nice to test the pans, to see if they work or there's any kinks. All this construction and if it don't work something would have to be altered then in the plans. Work smart not hard!! LOL!!

• Upvote 1

On 9/11/2020 at 7:59 AM, BusHunter said:

77th probably has a charger. Why not have one there, even if it's at south shops. That is heavy maintenance for CTA. How can they maintain anything if they don't have a basic charger. If the buses charge like a Tesla, it may be as simple as plugging them up. They might need a little electrical upgrade, but the power systems should already be heavy duty at South shops.

Eventually they may get to Chicago or 74th because why install a pan on the buses, if your running them on 79th? I think the running of them on 79th is the first in a series of baby steps, when they have proven themselves, they'll move to the next level. It would be nice to test the pans, to see if they work or there's any kinks. All this construction and if it don't work something would have to be altered then in the plans. Work smart not hard!! LOL!!

Yeah you're right on that, i'll have to check and see tomorrow then if that's the case because with #701 being active again for the first time in several months something may of been added at south shops that may have went over my head so to speak. This baby area of south shops has been home to 700 and 701 for quite some time and if they are charging them It would have to be something small and discrete.

20200820_150136.jpg

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yeah you're right on that, i'll have to check and see tomorrow then if that's the case because with #701 being active again for the first time in several months something may of been added at south shops that may have went over my head so to speak. This baby area of south shops has been home to 700 and 701 for quite some time and they are charging them It would have to be something small and discrete.

20200820_150136.jpg

I bet if you snooped around those bays you would find some kind of charger. Hmm... I wonder if possibly a proterra could run at 77th via south shops on the #79. Maybe that's where they want to test the first test. They would have to wrap it with something because no one would know it's a CTA bus if it has no livery.

On 9/11/2020 at 2:40 PM, BusHunter said:

I bet if you snooped around those bays you would find some kind of charger. Hmm... I wonder if possibly a proterra could run at 77th via south shops on the #79. Maybe that's where they want to test the first test. They would have to wrap it with something because no one would know it's a CTA bus if it has no livery.

The #600s are a mystery to me, you would think by now the Pilot would get more hands on training at specific garages that will receive them but that hasn't been the case so far. Chicago garage would make the most sense for them to start out from but with a backlog in orders and little road time I just dont think well see them until 2021 when it comes to hands on training and then revenue service. 

16 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

The #600s are a mystery to me, you would think by now the Pilot would get more hands on training at specific garages that will receive them but that hasn't been the case so far. Chicago garage would make the most sense for them to start out from but with a backlog in orders and little road time I just dont think well see them until 2021 when it comes to hands on training and then revenue service. 

Well they are not supposed to get the balance of proterras until the testing is complete in case there is an issue somewhere. They should be testing soon. As far as putting them at 77th/south shops, hopefully they can charge the buses without a tower. There's got to be a plug somewhere. If not then they are destined for chicago, but how you would maintain them comes to mind. 

I guess the delay has to do with the towers construction. The future of the industry is charging pads, at least they can't get run over or knocked down. I feel like this is another Ballard #5900. So far I havent been proven wrong. I wonder why all the emphasis on electric, I thought hybrid was good. Electric just seems too bold a step. But that's where the world is heading. On Uber they want to have either all hybrid or electric cars by 2030. They want to start a platform called uber green where you can request an electric car, but It can be hybrid. There's gonna be incentives per ride to pick up passengers on uber green. Me personally, I was going to buy a hybrid anyway. There getting cheaper than they used to be. 

3 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Well they are not supposed to get the balance of proterras until the testing is complete in case there is an issue somewhere. They should be testing soon. As far as putting them at 77th/south shops, hopefully they can charge the buses without a tower. There's got to be a plug somewhere. If not then they are destined for chicago, but how you would maintain them comes to mind. 

I guess the delay has to do with the towers construction. The future of the industry is charging pads, at least they can't get run over or knocked down. I feel like this is another Ballard #5900. So far I havent been proven wrong. I wonder why all the emphasis on electric, I thought hybrid was good. Electric just seems too bold a step. But that's where the world is heading. On Uber they want to have either all hybrid or electric cars by 2030. They want to start a platform called uber green where you can request an electric car, but It can be hybrid. There's gonna be incentives per ride to pick up passengers on uber green. Me personally, I was going to buy a hybrid anyway. There getting cheaper than they used to be. 

Man only time will tell & eww I hope 1 day all cars or trucks dont be electric cuz thise cars are slow af I'll stick with gas cars no hybrid I already dont get good gas mileage now I may not get good electric mileage then

31 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Man only time will tell & eww I hope 1 day all cars or trucks dont be electric cuz thise cars are slow af I'll stick with gas cars no hybrid I already dont get good gas mileage now I may not get good electric mileage then

Tesla is supposed to be the fastest car off the line. Watch all those youtube 0-60 vids. Its freaky fast. Competes with lambo and ferrari but once it gets to 70 the supercars overtake it. I wouldnt buy a Prius or small car, but I like the full size hybrids. Theres even talk of a full size hybrid pickup with electrics coming soon. GM's big draw is gonna be the electric hummer when it comes out. Trucks get bad gas mileage. When that happens it's all over for the cars.