700-series XE40 - Deliveries & Assignments

Kevin

16 hours ago, trainman8119 said:

How about Midway being CTA property and Ford City not with the mall management not allowing the charging station onto their property.

Undoubtedly, but there were all sorts of ordinances that there had to be agreements with the city, Metropolitan Pier and Expo Authority, and Navy Pier, Inc. because the Navy Pier turnaround was not CTA property. For all we know (like Cook County owning the Rosemont TC), CTA might not own Midway, either, but I'm not doing a title search.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/7/2019 at 11:26 AM, andrethebusman said:

63 is indeed confirmed as the one to be electric. Chargers will be in first two ISLAND bays as it can't be installed in first lane as the canopy supports would be in the way.

I did the stupid thing of taking a trip to Midway, and besides learning that Mike Madigan and Marty Quinn! have signs all over the neighborhood to clean up after your dog, and there is all sorts of construction blocking access to the station, there is no sign of any construction of chargers. While there is a canopy over the sidewalk, I don't see any reason it would interfere with installing whatever the overhead is, just that it would have to extend over the curb lane. On the other hand, chargers at islands B or C would have to fit under the canopy, but the canopies, at either location, are equally about 14 feet tall.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Nova's at 103rd said:

Did CTA send them back.

Maybe something to do with the batteries. The battery cell is heavy and big in a bus and they would want to make sure it's working efficiently once installed. Cta may not have the expertise to handle batteries it's new tech and they only have 2 buses to learn from.  It could be either that or they are looking to extend the range either with a new battery or a possible overhead charging retrofit. Then they could run those with the proterras. Maybe something to do with 700 is forcing their hand to do this. Especially if it needs major work at the technical level. 

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Needs a bike rack and firebox so its probably going to SS and then back to K for service 

1 hour ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Correction, you mean farebox, not firebox. LOL lots of errors recently.

It’s an electric bus, not a steam-powered bus.

(Sorry, I couldn’t resist)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Pace831 said:

It’s an electric bus, not a steam-powered bus.

(Sorry, I couldn’t resist)

32 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

It’s a firebox ??it caught fire didn’t it?lol

Yes it caught fire, I thought you meant farebox, a firebox is something I never knew back then, thanks for correcting me instead of me correcting you!

• 1 month later...

Passed by south shops yesterday evening. #700 is parked right along the fence on 79th. You can see looking at the roof it has what looks like a pan or a way to receive electricity with an overhead boom. Must be those will be running along side the proterras if they ever show up. At least they have a bus to test the new infrastructure. It would be embarrassing if they got the proterras and discovered they couldnt use them after they got them. Hopefully they dont have any clearance issues with viaducts when I drive the south side theres some low viaducts. The 87th vincennes one is 12'6'' but they even talk about the wilson ravenswood one is 9 feet by me. I dont drive the north side that much though.

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Passed by south shops yesterday evening. #700 is parked right along the fence on 79th. You can see looking at the roof it has what looks like a pan or a way to receive electricity with an overhead boom. Must be those will be running along side the proterras if they ever show up. At least they have a bus to test the new infrastructure. It would be embarrassing if they got the proterras and discovered they couldnt use them after they got them. Hopefully they dont have any clearance issues with viaducts when I drive the south side theres some low viaducts. The 87th vincennes one is 12'6'' but they even talk about the wilson ravenswood one is 9 feet by me. I dont drive the north side that much though.

Do you know the clearance of the 63rd & Wallace bridge? Is it the same 13'8" that the bridges on 63rd btwn Wentworth & State are?

3 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Do you know the clearance of the 63rd & Wallace bridge? Is it the same 13'8" that the bridges on 63rd btwn Wentworth & State are?

63rd street, believe it or not  is a truck route, thus all of the viaducts, including the Green Line structures are at least 13 ft

Most of the CTA and Metra viaducts north of Irving Park are around 11'8" to 11'10:.  

The one viaduct at 87th and Wentworth is 12'8".  All of the other viaducts there at Wentworth are over 13 ft.  That is important.   A semitrailer attempted to go through those viaducts. not noticing the sign and hit the short viaduct, ripping open most of his trailer.  Obviously the rest of the trailer was wedged under the viaduct.   It was truly an ugly scene

He was going westbound on 87th.  All traffic had to share the eastbound side of 87th.

The shortest viaduct I have seen in the city is 10 ft 6 in.  It is an Orange Line viaduct around Wallace I believe.

Exactly how tall are the Proterras?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

According to street View, it is 14’ 4”. (The City bridge clearance directory says 14’ 2”, but I’ll go with the newer source). Either way, it’s tall enough for buses and trucks.