700-series XE40 - Deliveries & Assignments

Kevin

24 minutes ago, Juniorz said:

Wasn't this latest development announced in January? 

Please wait for the procurement release, which I'm sure is being drafted as we speak

Yes, which is why i said it was not news, just misinformation from some "community journalist."

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sw4400 said:

If they have supportive funding in the budget for 50 electric. They cost $800,000/ea and Transit Funding only gives out $500,000/ea, so the CTA will need to find $300,000/bus difference from another source(like additional CMAQ grants). So a 15 million CMAQ grant to cover the difference. That was the point of taking the 8.1 million contract for 26 Hybrid Artics(or converting only 26 of the 66 Clean Diesel Hybrids as you say)and changing it to 27 electric buses. That's the difference in cost of the buses the CTA is wanting to procure @ $300,000/ea.

How will they ever buy for instance 100 electric in 2019-20 if they have to pay out 300K a bus. Even for a grant that's like 33 Million. They have that kind of money to borrow from grants?

15 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

How will they ever buy for instance 100 electric in 2019-20 if they have to pay out 300K a bus. Even for a grant that's like 33 Million. They have that kind of money to borrow from grants?

Didn't you get the earlier posts that sw was misleading you? This is going out into Never Never Land.

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

That was a hypothetical situation with CTA saying they want to buy a mix of Hybrids and Electric buses to replace the New Flyers starting in 2020. I can't see the CTA wanting to do a 500/500 split of Hybrid and Electric buses, or any number over 100. 100 is the highest amount I'd want to procure in the near future if I was the CTA President, because of cost and reliability(the Electric buses are still being tested throughout the U.S and in Canada). Even Nova Bus is testing them... New Flyer has a bit of a leg up on them as they've been testing longer, but they still are in their infancy. CTA would probably stick to one of these two manufacturers for their Electric bus fleet as both are companies they've had good experiences with.

6 hours ago, sw4400 said:

That was a hypothetical situation with CTA saying they want to buy a mix of Hybrids and Electric buses to replace the New Flyers starting in 2020.

That's fair. I guess the question is how much stock one can put on the tail end of a 5-year capital plan given what the cost of diesel (will it stay around $2?) or the cost of battery power will be around 2019. At the time, CTA probably didn't even know if FAST Act funding would be available.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/9/2016 at 1:11 PM, garmon757 said:

Well, that just escalated quickly. 

Shows one thing, 77th really gets what it wants. Now it has both new bus models. But wow they are sending this bus to the lions, 77th works a bus hard, if it doesn't fail here it's not going to fail. Somehow I think this may be the beginning of a test at all the garages that are slated for the 27 electric buses. So we might see one at 103rd, 74th and maybe Chicago and NP, but I don't know if storing an electric bus outside works. This might go over the next few years until the 27 electric buses do arrive.

On 4/9/2016 at 11:52 PM, andrethebusman said:

701 reassigned to 77th this week.

The tests at Kedzie must be over because their in-house documentation had previously stated explicit instructions that the buses weren't to be traded to other garages.

On 4/9/2016 at 1:30 PM, BusHunter said:

Shows one thing, 77th really gets what it wants. Now it has both new bus models. But wow they are sending this bus to the lions, 77th works a bus hard, if it doesn't fail here it's not going to fail. Somehow I think this may be the beginning of a test at all the garages that are slated for the 27 electric buses. So we might see one at 103rd, 74th and maybe Chicago and NP, but I don't know if storing an electric bus outside works. This might go over the next few years until the 27 express buses do arrive.

Do you mean electric buses instead of express?

Might be thinking too much into it, but with the 27 or so all-electric buses the CTA should be procuring in the next year or two, plus the talk of replacing the New Flyer D40LF's in 2020 with all-electric buses(or a large quantity of that order being all-electric), I wonder if they could even be placed at FG or NP. Because they require charging stations and these garages are outside, would they have to order Hybrids or Clean Diesels to operate out of here? I imagine with the elements the equipment is exposed to yearly, it would cause damage to the stations with rain/snow & other debris in the air getting into the electronics. I wonder if CTA may one day do a indoor barn for NP and FG. I think it could be done, but the buses will have to be temporarily relocated while the buildings are being built.