Chiberia 2015

BusHunter

Boy this weather is something. There is no clear pavement out here. Blue lines had some problems at rosemont. I had a train pass me express and the next one smelt like it was burning up. He had a yellow light on one car and a blue on a different one. Seemed like he went to throttle up the circuits clicked Iin the doors but there seemed to be poor electrical contact on his train. Bus bunching is rampant with 30 minute waits the norm. We have two to three foot drifts out here. I shoveled my sidewalk at 1pm and it has 18 inches of snow on it. Grrrr...

Commuting is going to be a beach around here!!

I was wondering how the CTA was doing today. Thanks for the info. Maybe one of the trains had a stuck brake, since that's what the yellow light would seem to indicate. A quick scan of CTA's website also revealed that Howard station has also lost power, possibly due to the weather. Red and Purple Line trains are delayed, and Yellow Line service is suspended.

I shoveled in Oak Park, but that probably won't do any good right now.

Boy this weather is something. There is no clear pavement out here. Blue lines had some problems at rosemont. I had a train pass me express and the next one smelt like it was burning up. He had a yellow light on one car and a blue on a different one. Seemed like he went to throttle up the circuits clicked Iin the doors but there seemed to be poor electrical contact on his train. Bus bunching is rampant with 30 minute waits the norm. We have two to three foot drifts out here. I shoveled my sidewalk at 1pm and it has 18 inches of snow on it. Grrrr...

Commuting is going to be a beach around here!!

I talked to my mother earlier today (Sunday); she lives in Matteson, IL around 211th & Cicero. She told me that very little, if anything, was moving out there because of the snow drifts. Among her first words to me were: "This reminds me of the Blizzard of 1979". Nasty :huh:!

Fellas, I sorely miss my L trains as well the other "big city" perks of Chicago. But God knows I don't miss the winter weather and the headaches that come with it. That's why I left Chi-Town for Arizona 18 years ago.

Did some walking in the street in the Harlem/Higgins area, Wendys, The Shell and all those restaurants in that area on the west side were closed even Bakers Square. The Kennedy was dead. It had big patches of open space like you would see driving in the country. One train had about 6 inches on it's roof, probably from the yard. CTA had shovelers out at the stations; seen a crew at montrose/blue. But it's going to take few days to get things going again. 16" at O'Hare, 19" at logan Square according to Tom Skilling with a possible 5" of lake effect snow on the way. Who knows maybe we will see #5000's or #3200's on the blue line this week. Depends on how the equipment holds up.

• Upvote 1

Well all express buses in service today that use Lake Shore Drive were pulled from the Drive earlier today because of the blizzard conditions. In a way it's a good thing the storm hit on a Sunday when there aren't as many express routes in service on Lake Shore Drive. Imagine if this were a weekday and how that would have impacted commutes.

And on a side note, Illinois Lottery announcer Magdelena Martinez gave CTA bus drivers a special shout out tonight as I write this for getting her where she needed to be safely in this wicked weather.

Did some walking in the street in the Harlem/Higgins area, Wendys, The Shell and all those restaurants in that area on the west side were closed even Bakers Square. The Kennedy was dead. It had big patches of open space like you would see driving in the country. One train had about 6 inches on it's roof, probably from the yard. CTA had shovelers out at the stations; seen a crew at montrose/blue. But it's going to take few days to get things going again. 16" at O'Hare, 19" at logan Square according to Tom Skilling with a possible 5" of lake effect snow on the way. Who knows maybe we will see #5000's or #3200's on the blue line this week. Depends on how the equipment holds up.

No sight of a single salt truck around Harlem/Higgins today!!! Streets were awful!!!

I wonder how do they shovel out the outdoor garages when you get a storm of this magnitude. You would think the buses would get stuck in the yard. Being that it happened on a sunday parts of the yard probably have not been touched. If FG can provide service tomorrow with all it's old buses that will really be a testament to what they can do. On the flipside, would they put out the new novas in this? With lake effect going on and the drifting I don't know if LSD will have any buses on it for a few days. Should be fun driving an artic.

No sight of a single salt truck around Harlem/Higgins today!!! Streets were awful!!!

Yeah, that's why I said there was no clear pavement. I seen about 5 salt trucks in the 3 hours i was out there. In fact I saw just as many IDOT trucks on the Kennedy. Even the Kennedy was snow covered. One guy was doing a good 45 mph, I don't know if I would trust my 4 wheel drive that much.

BTW, 61 degrees is the wind chill in Phoenix. Time to see some Spring Training!! B)

I wonder how do they shovel out the outdoor garages when you get a storm of this magnitude. You would think the buses would get stuck in the yard. Being that it happened on a sunday parts of the yard probably have not been touched. If FG can provide service tomorrow with all it's old buses that will really be a testament to what they can do. On the flipside, would they put out the new novas in this? With lake effect going on and the drifting I don't know if LSD will have any buses on it for a few days. Should be fun driving an artic.

Speaking of artics, I was surprised to see as many out on the roads today. It was bad enough in some spots that as soon as they got a roadway clear, that within 15 minutes if that it was snow covered again to the point of looking untouched. Riding along Ashland there were a few stretches that looked as if the only thing on the road were CTA buses and salt trucks. And the snow will be winding back down to easier to handle levels so it's a little bit of a stretch to say it'll take a few days to get the buses back on LSD. If the waves stay rough then I could see the Drive still being affected.

• Upvote 3

I was in Chicago for the Groundhog's Day Blizzard in 2011. The first day was very bad, but what impressed me was that the streets were pretty clear once the snow stopped. I am sure the same will occur this year. When I compare "we are taking express buses off of Lake Shore Drive as a precaution" and "we will keep streets clear and residents safe" to "the subway is closed" and "stay indoors, stay indoors" I think Chicagoans have a lot to be proud of and thankful for. As for me, I'm thankful I left the godawful winters behind fifteen years ago. We don't get snow in San Diego.

I just made it in from Kentucky/Tennessee. I left upper 40s temperatures this morning. Weather was rainy until near Champaign. Snow got heavy around Kankakee. Chicagoland expressways were horrible. At Cermak/State, while marveling at the new Cermak Green Line station, I noticed SB 3 King Drive buses heading west on Cermak to turn south on STate. Upon reaching Michigan Ave, I noticed a NB 6 Jackson Pk Express (rerouted off of Lake Shore DR ). I assume he was trying to continue north on Michigan but the artic bus appeared stuck, with the front of the bus facing east on Cermak and the trailer dangerously close to the traffic signal pole on Cermak. That particular intersection seemed fine for traffic continuing north south on Michigan or east west on Cermak. Making any turns, especially from either the left turn lanes, was going to be dicey.

Shoveled again, this time had 3 1/2 to 4 foot drifts. I think I shoveled close to 5-6 feet of snow today between all the drifting and my back feels like it. Rahm says there will be no alley plowing, so how we will get garbage service is anyone's guess. Bus service was poor today with alot of 30-40 minute waits and packs of 3 buses which amount to that same amount of buses in that time frame. There wasn't much people out and places were closing early. I applaud your courage in traveling out of state in this weather. How they keep the country roads plowed is anyone's guess. I once traveled from Wisconsin in the snow and the roads were horrible until the city limits. I fear I would get stranded and in this weather that is getting colder that could be a life threatening/changing experience.

Speaking of this and I know it's a little off topic, I just saw this pic from 1967. Specifically bus 102. I don't remember any of those having the number down in that area....always on top. Was that just a one time thing or did all of the 100's have them there?

10974630_10152786383926731_3336735927398

I can't answer your question about the numbers, but I think that's at Cermak & Michigan. But I'm confused by what looks like open water at the right.

Mccormick place maybe? That is Cermak and Michigan. I googled the covered wagon restaurant (in the picture) and it says it's there or was there.

Since you mentioned it, it was the original McCormick Place after the fire. Looking it up, the fire was on Jan. 16, 1967, and the blizzard was on Jan. 26. So, it would have been the double header of disasters.

I don't have an answer to ibebobo's question, other than a fleet number hidden by advertising wouldn't have worked so well.

Speaking of this and I know it's a little off topic, I just saw this pic from 1967. Specifically bus 102. I don't remember any of those having the number down in that area....always on top. Was that just a one time thing or did all of the 100's have them there?

Whoa, US Route 12 and 20 was by McCormick Place????

Whoa, US Route 12 and 20 was by McCormick Place????

You have good eyes. Also there is an Alt 30 and Ill 1 sign behind it.

But into the late 1960s, most US routes continued through the city. Through Jackson Park and north, they basically followed the boulevard system, with US 20 going up to Wacker Dr. and then west to where it connects with Lake St. now. Alt 30 went up the Calumet [now Bishop Ford] Expressway from US 30 in Lynwood and then west on Roosevelt Road, where it existed until converted to Ill. 38.

US 34 and 66 made it to Michigan Ave. via Ogden and Jackson/Adams. US 54 ran essentially via Vincennes to Michigan Ave. US 14 continued south to Michigan and Jackson (now ends at Bryn Mawr or Foster, depending on the signs on LSD).

Update: I found a 1960 official highway map (click on next to get Chicago on the reverse), which has the city portions of 12 20 as being business routes. I didn't remember how 12 went through the city, but apparently it was north LSD and Foster to Northwest Highway.

• Upvote 2

Yesterday I went to Jefferson park terminal and there were a lot of snow everywhere like they didn't bother shoveling. They also didn't send the last running Central 85 bus that is around 1145pm going Harrison so last bus ran south was around 1120 or so.

Blue line by Division wasn't shoveled either on the steps. Barely had room to put my foot on the steps without slipping.

Looked like Howard yard was still having power issues this evening. There were probably close to 100 cars still in the yard this evening during the peak of the rush hour. Most were in the north yard which is usually where Red Line cars are stored. Maintenance equipment was sitting on the lead in tracks working to get things up and running.