600-series Proterra BE40/ZX5 - Updates

Busjack

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I'll say that there do need to be alternatives to diesel and gas, and our reliance on them needs to be cut gradually, but drastically. It's killing the planet, and the less usage of them, the better.

Well, 80% of plane operations are autopilot, so maybe a bit too late on that one. And there's definitely going to be more of a bus for ATC on trains (heck, WMATA was doing just fine with it for years). I agree that fully self-driving cars, buses and trucks shouldn't be the end goal, or widely spread. For however fictional it was, F8 of the Furious showed us the potential dangers of such widespread use of that technology.

The most important 20% is still handled by the pilots, which is the takeoff and landing.  Even with the 80%  Zthe pilots have to input the information into the computer and the pilots can override the computer if there's a glitch.  But hackers and cyber warfare is a real thing. 

53 minutes ago, CTA5750 said:

All I can say is "God Help Us"!  Seriously! Maybe Im a dinosaur about these things  But its what I believe! I know gas prices suck! I understand labor costs and companies bottom line. I get all that.... But at the same time its a job killer! More people will be out of work or working for chump change!  Im fine with the airport automated trains. But I wish they would leave it at that. I hate to see mainline trains begin this world of driverless operation. I know BART in SF does that. But they still keep an operator in the cab. 

I'm a dinosaur too.  What I am saying is that we as consumers are just as much to blame as the companies are.   What if people chose NOT to use self checkout?  What if people didn't shop online? What if no one used GrubHub or UberEats?  How many vank branches have closed due to online banking?   So in the next generation,  if you aren't tech savvy,  you won't survive unless you are Amish or in prison.  Prison doesn't offer any guarantees of survival. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Kevin said:

Nicely done video of the Proterras by YouTuber Luke Starkenburg.

This a nice ass video but my question is what if the bus dont have tine to charge what if the driver is behind Schedule where they gotta pull back out ove then had runs where for the entire 4 hours I had to just pull in & pull out just go use the bathroom & pull right back out & I hope I be half way to retirement from CPD by 2040 cuz I rather have gas powered buse then a full electric fleet

11 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

This a nice ass video but my question is what if the bus dont have tine to charge what if the driver is behind Schedule where they gotta pull back out ove then had runs where for the entire 4 hours I had to just pull in & pull out just go use the bathroom & pull right back out & I hope I be half way to retirement from CPD by 2040 cuz I rather have gas powered buse then a full electric fleet

Based on the video, it looks like the buses have at least a 273 mile range. Taking the Chicago Ave route as an example, from Austin to Navy Pier is 8.5 miles one way. So even in a scenario where there's no time to charge you should still have plenty of leeway. Also, I don't know how fast CTA's chargers are, but with most electric fast chargers even just a few minutes of charging can add considerable range.

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

Based on the video, it looks like the buses have at least a 273 mile range. Taking the Chicago Ave route as an example, from Austin to Navy Pier is 8.5 miles one way. So even in a scenario where there's no time to charge you should still have plenty of leeway. Also, I don't know how fast CTA's chargers are, but with most electric fast chargers even just a few minutes of charging can add considerable range.

Also the #700's were out for 10-12 hours before, so reasonably the buses could work a person's entire shift without charging. The  problem is when you want those out for long periods which is possible on the 24 hour routes. But they could always just schedule a jumper bus at night and just let those charge at the terminal for an extended period. 

Ironically no service has yet been implemented that really needs to use the chargers at the terminals the longest run has been 10 hours. In the future CTA might want to think about not installing chargers at terminals where there is a split shift like the #54A or #206 or where they have buses that only run light hours like a #96. 

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

That's cool af then it's all goid cuz I was like what is 1 of them don't have time to charge on a day like that then the but might die in mid route

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Also the #700's were out for 10-12 hours before, so reasonably the buses could work a person's entire shift without charging. The  problem is when you want those out for long periods which is possible on the 24 hour routes. But they could always just schedule a jumper bus at night and just let those charge at the terminal for an extended period. 

Ironically no service has yet been implemented that really needs to use the chargers at the terminals the longest run has been 10 hours. In the future CTA might want to think about not installing chargers at terminals where there is a split shift like the #54A or #206 or where they have buses that only run light hours like a #96. 

What do you mean by split shift? As in no midday service?

• 5 weeks later...

Well I finally rode a #600 today and the review I would give it is that it's pretty good. I think it has the best ac at cta, surprising for an electric bus but this is my first Proterra ride. Where it's really smart is the vents can be adjusted  to blow right on you like a car does. The vents are made to blow into the center of the bus versus down the window side. Kudos to Proterra. If only Novabus were this smart!! ? I'm not crazy about the crazy swept back seats but  thats not Proterras fault. seems that is the style nowadays. Hope everyone is not going to have a bad back riding these. It has these crazy reverse seats like the #6400s on both sides of the aisle in the rear and a single transverse seats in the rear. The rear is going to have to take some getting used to. 

The one thing I dont like about the bus is when it kneels, it takes about 9-10 seconds to retract. That needs improvement. While these buses take off like the wind I cant help but wonder how 9-10 seconds a stop will screw around with the schedule. My operator was opening the doors himself so maybe people are still confused. There is no sign saying touch here. They seem more concerned about what they dont want you to touch (the circular poles that twist when the exit door opens. It doesnt tyrn but a quarter turn. I dont think anyone would get too hurt on it. At one stop the stop button on the poles got one rider into trouble he pressed where it said stop instead of the button. At a 90 degree angle you cant see the button and his stop got passed up. He told the operator he pressed the stop but I saw how he thought he did but he didnt. They should just put the old standard stop requested buttons, so everyone is not so confused. Overall I'd give the bus a 7. It could get a 9 if they solved the two issues and a 10 if they changed the seats. But all those issues are not proterra problems, so I'd say proterra gets an A-. Cta just needs some new suppliers. 

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

So far these two are the only ones at SS right now I'm not sure if anymore were delivered but it's good to see the newest model at the garage. 

20210701_071322.jpg

20210701_071302.jpg

They are not demonstrators? They look like they have the cta blue colored seats.

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

They are not demonstrators? They look like they have the cta blue colored seats.

Yeah these are the current ZX5 models, the demonstration model was at SS earlier this spring.(Photos shown below) Everything is already assembled towards CTAs specifications, test trials and training on the newer model will take place with mechanics first I'd assume and then trickle down throughout the rest of the dept leading up to the operators. 

FB_IMG_1625179160622.jpg

FB_IMG_1625179154323.jpg

3 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yeah these are the current ZX5 models, the demonstration model was at SS earlier this spring.(Photos shown below) Everything is already assembled towards CTAs specifications, test trials and training on the newer model will take place with mechanics first I'd assume and then trickle down throughout the rest of the dept leading up to the operators. 

FB_IMG_1625179160622.jpg

FB_IMG_1625179154323.jpg

Yeah cause the press reports are saying the final 17 are coming spring 2022. Its weird though the same bus order will have 2 different models. 

I just thought Proterra heard about the 7 million grant cta got for electric buses (on top of the 23 that was presently on order) and they wanted to say remember us. Not that cta seems interested in nf's electrics anyway. #700 must have really put a sour taste in their mouth. 

As far as this model, I like the tailights, it reminds me of the 60s GM design they had on the 100s. I always thought that was so cool. 

• 2 weeks later...