Jump to content
ajay

New Flyer DE40LF 804 Out Of Service

Recommended Posts

Hello. I just heard that 2006 New Flyer DE40LF numbered 804 has been tooken to south shops. But however I wait to confined this. 804 Has been missing. Its mostly out but no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ajay said:

Hello. I just heard that 2006 New Flyer DE40LF numbered 804 has been tooken to south shops. But however I wait to confined this. 804 Has been missing. Its mostly out but no.

#804 was out a lot last week still looked like it was in decent shape. However if it is indeed at South Shops from the rumor you heard it is either there for retirement or maintenance. Also you don't have to make a separate thread on things you've heard from rumors. Theirs a better way to go about posting things on the forum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seen 804 last week sitting in the lot on the side of K when I droved through there took the short cuz to avoid traffic at the soot sign and was looking right at it when I was coming out the parking lot across the street

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ajay said:

Hello. I just heard that 2006 New Flyer DE40LF numbered 804 has been tooken to south shops. But however I wait to confined this. 804 Has been missing. Its mostly out but no.

Wow, so that means the 800-series will soon to be retired as well in favor of more electric bus deliveries by the CTA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today, there is no sign of an 800-series running according to the Maths tracker. I guess on most days it will 'quietly' be in service on any street, based on Kedzie garage routes. When these buses begin to retire, the CTA will have it's history preserved...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2019 at 9:45 AM, Johnny 5 said:

Today, there is no sign of an 800-series running according to the Maths tracker. I guess on most days it will 'quietly' be in service on any street, based on Kedzie garage routes. When these buses begin to retire, the CTA will have it's history preserved...

the retirement is about to finish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnny 5 said:

😢 Farewell 800-series. (2006-2019)

 

1 hour ago, ajay said:

Yeah. To me,their too young to retire.

Well, they were a test order, and many times test orders go early due to lack of funding for a small quantity like these New Flyers here. They were retired at 14 years old, well below normal age retirement of 18-20 years.

6820487527_3ae0015a94_o.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, XE NewFlyer said:

the 800's might last that long if 804 is not retired.

804's been off the tracker for at least the last three days, so South Shops maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2019 at 1:55 PM, sw4400 said:

 

Well, they were a test order, and many times test orders go early due to lack of funding for a small quantity like these New Flyers here. They were retired at 14 years old, well below normal age retirement of 18-20 years.

6820487527_3ae0015a94_o.jpg

That's why they retired them in 2009

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2019 at 1:55 PM, sw4400 said:

 

Well, they were a test order, and many times test orders go early due to lack of funding for a small quantity like these New Flyers here. They were retired at 14 years old, well below normal age retirement of 18-20 years.

6820487527_3ae0015a94_o.jpg

Hey, make sure you had @mel bernero permission to use this photo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2019 at 1:55 PM, sw4400 said:

 

Well, they were a test order, and many times test orders go early due to lack of funding for a small quantity like these New Flyers here. They were retired at 14 years old, well below normal age retirement of 18-20 years.

 

But remember though that 18-20 years of service isn't mandatory for any TA. FTA guidelines say that standard bus life for a bus is 12 years if federal money is used in the purchase. So after 12 years and that bus has survived getting snagged by a total wreck retirement, that TA can retire the bus any time it wants as long it has adequate replacements available. What has kept CTA buses in service for 18-20 years has been the challenge of lining up the funds for the replacement series of buses. So in the case of the 5800s, the controversy wasn't that they were retired after 14 years because federal guidelines say that's allowed. The controversy was that CTA had just completed rehabs on the series only about two or years years prior, if memory serves correctly, leading to a lot of us at the time saying that CTA wasted money. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jajuan said:

But remember though that 18-20 years of service isn't mandatory for any TA. FTA guidelines say that standard bus life for a bus is 12 years if federal money is used in the purchase. So after 12 years and that bus has survived getting snagged by a total wreck retirement, that TA can retire the bus any time it wants as long it has adequate replacements available. What has kept CTA buses in service for 18-20 years has been the challenge of lining up the funds for the replacement series of buses. So in the case of the 5800s, the controversy wasn't that they were retired after 14 years because federal guidelines say that's allowed. The controversy was that CTA had just completed rehabs on the series only about two or years years prior, if memory serves correctly, leading to a lot of us at the time saying that CTA wasted money. 

Well, if they did a rehab on the 5800's just a few years prior, it was a waste of money then. If you spend, say 20 million to rehab 65 New Flyer D40LF buses delivered in 1995 only to retire them a few years later, it is a waste. I can't remember the specifics about the rehab cost, but I do remember they received a rebuilt or rehabbed engine and transmission, among other things done. I would think they should've lasted maybe 5 more years from that kind of rehab before retirement, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2019 at 7:58 PM, XE NewFlyer said:

804 was out today on the 18.

I saw it On 18th and Blue Island. Rare Catch to see it running on the weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, XE NewFlyer said:

Yeah, I missed it by 2 seconds Due to the new routing :(

I Don't really think it's gonna retire until the new Proterra Catalyst BE40s come into service.

Screenshot 2019-03-05 at 9.33.38 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ajay said:

I Don't really think it's gonna retire until the new Proterra Catalyst BE40s come into service.

Screenshot 2019-03-05 at 9.33.38 AM.png

Really, Just 20 i thought there would be 45.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, XE NewFlyer said:

Really, Just 20 i thought there would be 45.

45 wasn't a concrete number. Remember the operative words here are UP TO 45 since CTA and just about every other TA in the US buys in base orders with one or more options if the TA has the money and determines more buses from the options would be needed. So 45 would be if CTA decides it wants the option from the contract. CTA ended up with 1030 NF diesels not because it put in a firm order for that many, but because it first took in a base order of a few hundreds and then exercised several options to bring the final tally to 1030.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...