New Flyer DE40LF 804 Out Of Service

ajay

Drove around K & here is proof that their is not 3 800's sitting on K back gate. I see no buses on the back gate or even in the lot or yet in the front & I have good eye sight or wouldn't have served in the Marines but anyways back to the buses I see no 8' nowhere yet alone 3 800's at K so what you are saying is unfound evidence is broham 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2019 at 8:52 PM, Shannon CVPI said:

Quick question do anybody know why CTA retired all of the 900's & all but one of the 800's so early

800-809 and 900-909 were purchased as test buses during the time that they purchased and took delivery of 1000-2029. At that time, CTA was running a test on which hybrid bus technology worked best on Chicago streets and could survive Chicago's sometimes brutal winter conditions better. The two choices were parallel hybrids (800-809) and series (900-909). CTA liked the parallel drive hybrids' performance more. So it's not much of a surprise that the next purchase of hybrid buses after that that CTA had sayso on the specs, NF artics 4000-4207 ended up being parallel drive hybrids. I don't count 4300-4332 out of the 4300s purchase, because the 4300s were purchased as part of a piggyback deal CTA made to purchase part of options originally meant for the Seattle area's King County Metro and therefore probably wouldn't have had much say on engine specs if any. Also because 800-809 and 900-909 were considered as test buses, they weren't as bound by the 12 year minimum rule that 1000-2029 are bound by. That's why 900-909 were able to be retired and sold off for scrap when those buses hadn't even reached ten years of service. CTA could have retired them at any time after the test on their technologies were done. CTA decided to keep them around for a while though, and the maintenance folks at Kedzie used their expertise to help the 900s in service for eight years and the 800s for thirteen and counting through the survival of now lone wolf 804. 

5 hours ago, jajuan said:

800-809 and 900-909 were purchased as test buses during the time that they purchased and took delivery of 1000-2029. At that time, CTA was running a test on which hybrid bus technology worked best on Chicago streets and could survive Chicago's sometimes brutal winter conditions better. The two choices were parallel hybrids (800-809) and series (900-909). CTA liked the parallel drive hybrids' performance more. So it's not much of a surprise that the next purchase of hybrid buses after that that CTA had sayso on the specs, NF artics 4000-4207 ended up being parallel drive hybrids. I don't count 4300-4332 out of the 4300s purchase, because the 4300s were purchased as part of a piggyback deal CTA made to purchase part of options originally meant for the Seattle area's King County Metro and therefore probably wouldn't have had much say on engine specs if any. Also because 800-809 and 900-909 were considered as test buses, they weren't as bound by the 12 year minimum rule that 1000-2029 are bound by. That's why 900-909 were able to be retired and sold off for scrap when those buses hadn't even reached ten years of service. CTA could have retired them at any time after the test on their technologies were done. CTA decided to keep them around for a while though, and the maintenance folks at Kedzie used their expertise to help the 900s in service for eight years and the 800s for thirteen and counting through the survival of now lone wolf 804. 

Aw ok bet thanks for putting me on game about that broham

9 hours ago, jajuan said:

Wait the 4300 are series?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, jajuan said:

& Yea I heard that 900's was kinda difficult to keep up like getting parts was dam near hard after ISE went out of business & I think with 804 CTA probably like that bus was in better shape then the rest of the 800's so they kept it & gone continue to use it for a while but it stay going to SS

On 12/22/2019 at 12:58 PM, chicagocubs6323 said:

The number looks like its 804.  They took it to SS and then brought it back to K last time.  Most likely they're cannibalizing the buses at SS for parts to keep 804 running.

Right. 804 has been in that part of the lot before only to return to K too many times to say for sure this is finally it for this lone wolf DE40LF. 

3 hours ago, jajuan said:

Right. 804 has been in that part of the lot before only to return to K too many times to say for sure this is finally it for this lone wolf DE40LF. 

804 is toward the front end of the boneyard so they probably put it there waiting for maintenance it should be back within the week or next week hopefully 

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Good thing that's not Wikipedia then. And typically, CPTDB tends to be fairly reliable

Well I'll take a stroll inside the boneyard today after my tripper this afternoon, I have a feeling it has been moved since the last photo was posted of it, I have a real concern about the defunct 4000's still sitting back there though, some haven't been moved since late October.