Pace New Flyer buses

Pace831

7 hours ago, BusHunter said:

At least they will deliver on the buses. CTA is stuck in proterra zero emission hell with its order. Last reports were they were supposed to get them in August. Now I just dont know. Proterra is a smaller company. Hopefully they can deliver on the goods. NF would have had those buses delivered by now. 

Man Pace is starting to really shine with its fleet. MCIs on Pace express, CNGs at south, pulse buses that are state of the art, highway Eldorados. The list goes on and on. Now Xcelsiors??? CTA needs some buses. The 6400s cant run forever we are going to have 19 year old buses soon out here with no rehab. I dont know hows that possible. By me we got 2007s and they are breaking down all the time. Stupid stuff too but that's how old stuff is. Man would I love to drive an Xcelsior. Probably west is a strong candidate for them. They have the oldest buses. But you would think some may end up being Pulse buses Dempster is coming maybe followed by Harlem. 95th and south halsted could use some but what would you use cngs??? I drive alot on the south side and see how busy those areas are. Pace is slowly turning into a stellar operation though. Hats off to the management. 

Unfortunately,  I don't think Pace included any options to order more than the 75 contracted for.  If/when Pace needs more buses, they will put out an RFP.  I think the law requires that.  I'm surprised that Pace didn't have a clause for options.  Perhaps they felt the Eldorado Axxess buses are still 6 years away from retirement eligibility.   

Yes Pace's fleet is newer than CTA'S and I would like to see more New Flyers in Pace's fleet.  Perhaps when CTA purs up a RFP for new buses, maybe Pace can piggyback OR maybe the RTA can get a better deal with a RFP for both agencies like the 8000 series RTA GMCs and CTA 9600 series GMC buses that RTA ordered.  

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, qwantae said:

May as well add 1983 Flyer D901 (1600s/9900s) to almost 2,000.  

Those 9800 series and 1600 series Flyer buses were absolutely horrible.   I hated them.  They were so bad, Flyer had to be renamed New Flyer.  The New Flyer buses have greatly improved.   I look forward to seeing them in Pace livery and in Pace service.

4 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Exactly this. I thought they might go with Gilligs as well, but I'm happy to see no more El Dorados

It is cool that they are going with New Flyers, but for some reason I feel like the XD40's are not going to match with the rest of the system. The Eldorados are good as if you watch my YT videos, there are lots of them and sound good, but I am still curious to find out what the XD40's and the future fleet will sound like, I have like 20 NABI buses that I really need to ride before they retire!

11 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

It is cool that they are going with New Flyers, but for some reason I feel like the XD40's are not going to match with the rest of the system. The Eldorados are good as if you watch my YT videos, there are lots of them and sound good, but I am still curious to find out what the XD40's and the future fleet will sound like, I have like 20 NABI buses that I really need to ride before they retire!

They won't, I agree with you there. I just don't like the El Dorados, especially the look of the CNGs (although I love the sound of their engine)

13 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Exactly this. I thought they might go with Gilligs as well, but I'm happy to see no more El Dorados

As far as 40-foot buses are concerned. We will still be getting more 30-foot buses from ElDorado.

As for 30-foot buses, New Flyer recently got back into the game with its acquisition of Alexander Dennis. You see, New Flyer once produced the MiDi under license from Alexander Dennis, then Alexander Dennis took over the production itself until very recently when NFI bought the company up.

And speaking of the powertrain, expect the Pace Xcelsiors to be equipped with a Cummins L9 engine and an Allison B3400 xFE transmission, unless Pace decides to go with a ZF or a Voith transmission. (Most of CTA's recent buses came equipped with ZF transmissions.)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RJL6000 said:

As far as 40-foot buses are concerned. We will still be getting more 30-foot buses from ElDorado.

As for 30-foot buses, New Flyer recently got back into the game with its acquisition of Alexander Dennis. You see, New Flyer once produced the MiDi under license from Alexander Dennis, then Alexander Dennis took over the production itself until very recently when NFI bought the company up.

And speaking of the engine, expect the Pace Xcelsiors to be equipped with a Cummins L9 engine and an Allison B3400 xFE transmission, unless Pace decides to go with a ZF or a Voith transmission. (Most of CTA's recent buses came equipped with ZF transmissions.)

NF makes 30 and 35 foot buses on their own, MiDi wasn't their only option. I'm guessing they just didn't bid

39 minutes ago, RJL6000 said:

And speaking of the powertrain, expect the Pace Xcelsiors to be equipped with a Cummins L9 engine and an Allison B3400 xFE transmission, unless Pace decides to go with a ZF or a Voith transmission. (Most of CTA's recent buses came equipped with ZF transmissions.)

Yeah I see that we are getting over 150 more Eldorado 30-footers, are those going to replace the older 2600s from 2006-07? 

7 hours ago, qwantae said:

Yeah I see that we are getting over 150 more Eldorado 30-footers, are those going to replace the older 2600s from 2006-07? 

Yeah, the earliest of that number group. Later ones aren't going anywhere yet (so I guess there's still a chance for Pace Gilligs).

35 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Pace is in no need for gilligs at this time.

They're in no need for any buses at all at the moment, I'm just saying when the time eventually comes for another order, Gillig could be considered as well as El Dorado, Flyer, etc.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

I even doubt Gillig will provide the correct specs Pace wants.

What is this based on? They're one of only two (three?) bus companies in NA that make 30 ft buses (29 in Gillig's case). And after NF, they probably offer the most customization of models, MVTA and Sound Transit are prime examples

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

What is this based on? They're one of only two (three?) bus companies in NA that make 30 ft buses (29 in Gillig's case). And after NF, they probably offer the most customization of models, MVTA and Sound Transit are prime examples

For whatever reason,  Gillig hasn't been able to crack the Chicago market with CTA and Pace.  The former Avis rentacar buses, Aries, and Free Enterprise ran some Gilligs.  GPTC runs Gilligs. But CTA and Pace have never chosen Gillig

Minneapolis was a Gillig Phantom stronghold for years.  I haven't seen back to the Twin Cities in years to see what Metro runs, but would guess New Flyers. 

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

For whatever reason,  Gillig hasn't been able to crack the Chicago market with CTA and Pace.  The former Avis rentacar buses, Aries, and Free Enterprise ran some Gilligs.  GPTC runs Gilligs. But CTA and Pace have never chosen Gillig

Minneapolis was a Gillig Phantom stronghold for years.  I haven't seen back to the Twin Cities in years to see what Metro runs, but would guess New Flyers. 

For Metro Transit, its Gilligs for 40 ft and Xcelsiors for 60ft. MVTA in particular loves Gilligs when they aren't using MCI buses. But yeah, DC, NYC, Baltimore, Chicago, Philly, I always wondered why I never really saw any Gilligs

• 2 months later...