Pace New Flyer buses

Pace831

38 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

The January board meeting video (start at 54 minute mark) mentions the first New Flyer prototype has arrived. Features of the bus are described in the video. Deliveries are expected from "mid-March to the end of June". There's a picture of the bus, number 20401, in the December video at the 31 minute mark.

Those look really good. I like the frameless windows especially.

The destination signs on 20401 appear to be Luminator's TwinVision Smart Series III amber destination signs. These signs do not look like the destination signs used in very recent CTA buses such as the 8325-series Novas and the Proterras (which use destination signs from Hanover Displays). Rather, they look like the signs on Pace's Pulse ElDorados but in amber instead of multicolored.

We'll have to wait and see which seats are used inside the 20400s.

13 minutes ago, WCR said:

I REALLY like the look of it, but why must it have that terrible five-digit "year" numbering?

Even with the five digit numbers, Pace's numbering scheme as hard to rationalize as it ever was. Busjack used to think the third digit signified the type of equipment, but 4 has already been used for community vehicles (14400s/16400s).

15 hours ago, Pace831 said:

Even with the five digit numbers, Pace's numbering scheme as hard to rationalize as it ever was. Busjack used to think the third digit signified the type of equipment, but 4 has already been used for community vehicles (14400s/16400s).

I don't like the number scheme either, but it accomplishes two things .  It makes it super easy to identify the year of the model, and it eliminates the possibility of repeating numbers.

6 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

That's interesting, I've never seen diesel Xcelsiors with the full roof fins, only partials

There's a couple other TAs with that style, Detroit's DDOT and Maryland MTA for example.

I definitely think they look better that way, I hope if CTA ever finally orders these buses, they'll have full length fins.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, WCR said:

There's a couple other TAs with that style, Detroit's DDOT and Maryland MTA for example.

I definitely think they look better that way, I hope if CTA ever finally orders these buses, they'll have full length fins.

Wow, you're right about Baltimore! I ride those all the time and just assumed those were XDEs

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Beautiful bus.  I can't wait to see and ride the new buses!  

So wth, the destination can display all those colors. I was going to say we might be looking at Pulse buses here or service expansion expressway buses. That might be why they look so nice on the outside with the flush windows. That is what they run on those routes. Besides what buses will be running Pulse Dempster if there is no order coming. They are not running the eldorkos that's for sure!! LOL!! nice looking bus though. Cta would have some except they are stuck in electric bus dreamland. As the #6800's get older, Pace is getting an even newer fleet. I never have seen pace have this new of a fleet before. simply amazing!!

2 hours ago, ajay said:

Aw damn. About time i see some xcelseiors. This bus is at West Division Right?

These photos were from Pace HQ, but the buses are planned to go in service at West Division. It looks like 20401 has been to West already based on the picture in the board meeting video, which shows it as a training bus with the West Towns legacy bus in the background.

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

So wth, the destination can display all those colors. I was going to say we might be looking at Pulse buses here or service expansion expressway buses. That might be why they look so nice on the outside with the flush windows. That is what they run on those routes. Besides what buses will be running Pulse Dempster if there is no order coming. They are not running the eldorkos that's for sure!! LOL!! nice looking bus though. Cta would have some except they are stuck in electric bus dreamland. As the #6800's get older, Pace is getting an even newer fleet. I never have seen pace have this new of a fleet before. simply amazing!!

Well Pace has said these buses were going to Pace West,  although there was a possibility that another garage could get a small ser of buses. Thus it's possible that 65 go to West and 10 go to NW for Pulse Dempster.  

11 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Well Pace has said these buses were going to Pace West,  although there was a possibility that another garage could get a small ser of buses. Thus it's possible that 65 go to West and 10 go to NW for Pulse Dempster.  

It's possible. Could be also this is the prototype like #6323. It will have things the production models wont have. Maybe they wont have flush windows for instance. Depends how pace ordered them. NF no doubt would like to show Pace it can produce highway buses if need be the case. So it could be showing this off even though its Pace property. I wonder why they jumped ship to nf. Both Eldorado and nf make good buses. Guess Eldorado just got under bid

I'm kind of interested where the new eldorkos will go. Aurora, Joliet, NS, niles, highland park, maybe even Elgin. If I was Pace I'd mix around the new and old eldorkos and get a small fleet in each garage that uses them now. They could really eat away at maintenance. Run the fleet efficiently and you save even more money for more projects and buses and other Capitol needs. 

Cta could be ordering these small eldorko buses at half to 3/4 the price of a new bus. Instead it shoots its whole wad on 30 buses. They need to explore that idea. Not every small bus is an Optima. They need to wake up. No need in making the parts suppliers rich. 

21 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

It's possible. Could be also this is the prototype like #6323. It will have things the production models wont have. Maybe they wont have flush windows for instance. Depends how pace ordered them. NF no doubt would like to show Pace it can produce highway buses if need be the case. So it could be showing this off even though its Pace property. I wonder why they jumped ship to nf. Both Eldorado and nf make good buses. Guess Eldorado just got under bid

I'm kind of interested where the new eldorkos will go. Aurora, Joliet, NS, niles, highland park, maybe even Elgin. If I was Pace I'd mix around the new and old eldorkos and get a small fleet in each garage that uses them now. They could really eat away at maintenance. Run the fleet efficiently and you save even more money for more projects and buses and other Capitol needs. 

Cta could be ordering these small eldorko buses at half to 3/4 the price of a new bus. Instead it shoots its whole wad on 30 buses. They need to explore that idea. Not every small bus is an Optima. They need to wake up. No need in making the parts suppliers rich. 

I thought Pace wanted the flush and tinted windows with this order. I was under the impression that they wanted to have a more modern looking fleet.  

As far CTA ordering 30 ft Eldorados,  someone mentioned some obscure law that required CTA to have rear doors on its buses.  Pace buses seat 27 in its current configuration.  The 35 ft 6600s seats the same and the 6162/6262s seat 33.  I don't remember how many seats were on the Optimas.  

Ordering another series of buses requires more spending on parts.  At least with New Flyers,  CTA can order bulk parts at a discount.  Same goes for Pace with the Axxess.