Fall 2019 Service Changes

TaylorTank1229

7 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

700-701 back as of 6/19, currently 79 6400s active

So were they both just magically sent into storage at south shops after being sent and returned from New Flyer? or have they been hiding at the training facility for several months just to be put back on the active roster? O.o

13 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

@andrethebusman works for CTA so he knows all the info but if 700 is back then that’s shocking and where did 701 go I heard it went out of state somewhere 

Both were shipped back to NIFL for rebuilding. Not in service, assume at S Shops somewhere

(no, I don’t work for CTA any more, but I do still have friends in high places)

30 minutes ago, andrethebusman said:

Both were shipped back to NIFL for rebuilding. Not in service, assume at S Shops somewhere

19 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

So were they both just magically sent into storage at south shops after being sent and returned from New Flyer? or have they been hiding at the training facility for several months just to be put back on the active roster? O.o

Ahh that makes sense then, I wonder if south shops or the training facility for mechanics is the final destination for one of them. 

33 minutes ago, andrethebusman said:

Well someone on here should bust a whole mission to SS and see if they might be on the sides somewhere or back in the junk yard 

Just now, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Well someone on here should bust a whole mission to SS and see if they might be on the sides somewhere or back in the junk yard 

If they were returned from NIFL to south shops they would keep them in house for mechanics to work on and to learn of any upgrades made to them.

4 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Compatible with Proterra chargers?

4 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

I would imagine. Why bother otherwise?

If this is the case, maybe that's one reason they have not entered service yet, as the Proterra chargers are not ready. However, if I recall correctly, weren't the XE40s in a longer-distance configuration as opposed to the Proterras on order which are supposed to have a shorter-range and charge at each terminal? How will this work with the Flyers? Perhaps they were converted to shorter range?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, WCR said:

If this is the case, maybe that's one reason they have not entered service yet, as the Proterra chargers are not ready. However, if I recall correctly, weren't the XE40s in a longer-distance configuration as opposed to the Proterras on order which are supposed to have a shorter-range and charge at each terminal? How will this work with the Flyers? Perhaps they were converted to shorter range?

I mean, they don't have to be shorter range.  Maybe it can do a round trip and then charge.  If XE40s lasted longer with a better longer lasting battery, why did CTA order buses that aren't electrically efficient?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, WCR said:

I don't think chargers are necessarily related to the bus manufacturer.   Just like there aren't New Flyer engines or transmissions, Novabus engines or Transmissions.   Whoever makes these chargers,  bus manufacturers have to make sure their components and chargers are compatible.  The charging stations have to work for ANY and ALL CTA electric buses, be it New Flyers or Proterras or whoever else builds one for CTA.

23 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

I mean, they don't have to be shorter range.  Maybe it can do a round trip and then charge.  If XE40s lasted longer with a better longer lasting battery, why did CTA order buses that aren't electrically efficient?

The Proterras aren't necessarily less efficient, they just operate differently, as they only take ~10min to charge between runs. If someone could refresh my memory as to the specs of the Flyers (range and charging time) that would be great, but if I recall correctly they were able to last (close to) an entire rush period(?)

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I don't think chargers are necessarily related to the bus manufacturer.   Just like there aren't New Flyer engines or transmissions, Novabus engines or Transmissions.   Whoever makes these chargers,  bus manufacturers have to make sure their components and chargers are compatible.  The charging stations have to work for ANY and ALL CTA electric buses, be it New Flyers or Proterras or whoever else builds one for CTA.

Charger compatibility was one worry I had about eventually having an all electric fleet, thanks for clearing that up.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Do you know what’s up with 8343-8349 haven’t been in service for a while

They have,as you posted earlier this past Wednesday of #8343 being in service without its tracker working properly. I myself have seen a few of them out with and without functioning trackers (#8345,#8348 and #8349) along with a few new flyers recently, could be a number of factors in regards to that but to say they haven't been in service for a while is a bit of an exaggeration. I don't want to over speculate but could #8325-#8349 have a different setup than of its counter parts #7900-#8324? Could the glen be holding out for possible moves to 103rd? Maybe every driver at the glen hasn't received training on them that we know of . Could be a number of factors but if anyone that keeps in touch with drivers or reps from the glen would of said something by now about it.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2019 at 1:08 PM, artthouwill said:

I remember the 22A and the 36A State.  I'm pretty sure there was a 50A (now 48) South Damen too.

? I rode the 50A South Damen to Lindblom Tech various times between 1968 and 1972. One winter day I boarded a 1950s era Flxible Twin Coach propane bus [working #50A at 87th] which felt colder inside than it was outside.

• Upvote 2