Fall 2019 Service Changes

TaylorTank1229

Forum will contain upcoming updates on bus services for the fast-coming autumn 2019 season.

At the moment, this is all that’s currently known/confirmed for fall changes:

•24 - Wentworth: Routing between Clark/Archer and Wentworth/Cermak will be altered to operate via Wentworth, Archer, Clark and no longer operate via Wentworth, Cermak, Clark. This will go into effect on Monday, August 5th.

•31 - 31st: Service hours will be revised for buses to begin running between 6am-6:30am instead of 10am. This will go into effect sometime in September.

•54A - N. Cicero/Skokie Blvd: The route will be discontinued and service along the route will be partially be covered by Pace bus routes 215 & the new 641. While no date of initiation has yet to be announced, this will reportedly go in effect between September-November.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

Forum will contain upcoming updates on bus services for the fast-coming autumn 2019 season.

•24 - Wentworth: Routing between Clark/Archer and Wentworth/Cermak will be altered to operate via Wentworth, Archer, Clark and no longer operate via Wentworth, Cermak, Clark. This will go into effect on Monday, August 5th.

•31 - 31st: Service hours will be revised for buses to begin running between 6am-6:30am instead of 10am. This will go into effect sometime in September.

•54A - N. Cicero/Skokie Blvd: The route will be discontinued and service along the route will be partially be covered by Pace bus routes 215 & the new 641. While no date of initiation has yet to be announced, this will reportedly go in effect between September-November.

Seeing route 24 making that transition is a good sign, I just hope the reconfiguration of that area between Cermak,Archer and Clark has better traffic signals put in place. 

18 hours ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

I still see no direct service of the 24 to 79th Red Line. One day. One day soon...

Don't CTA have to have a public hearing on the discontinuation of the #54a (similar to what they did for the #205), plus the board have to approve it before it gets implemented? 

The same goes for Pace. Don't their board have to approve the Round 2 changes before it goes in effect? The board only approved the Round 1 changes last year. And even after approving it, it took a couple of months before the changes went into effect.

Stuff like this takes time, and I don't think these changes will go in effect before the end of the year.

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

Don't CTA have to have a public hearing on the discontinuation of the #54a (similar to what they did for the #205), plus the board have to approve it before it gets implemented? 

The same goes for Pace. Don't their board have to approve the Round 2 changes before it goes in effect? The board only approved the Round 1 changes last year. And even after approving it, it took a couple of months before the changes went into effect.

Stuff like this takes time, and I don't think these changes will go in effect before the end of the year.

Not necessarily. You can do them wholesale and implement changes incrementally. Doesn’t violate title VI, especially with wholesale restructuring. Boards may approve or amend at the monthly meetings

Case in point, AC Transit has two restructuring: local service was done in phases with the public hearings done before them. 

Public Hearings: 2014-15

implementation dates: 2015, Summer 2016, March 2017, June 2018, December 2019, 2020-21 

local: public hearing in 2017

implementation: 2018-present (the closure of Salesforce TC and driver shortages can stall it). My students wants AC transit to reject the F line changes after I spoke at the hearing and the board approved all of the changes. 

15 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

SB 22A via Clark-Archer-Wentworth until 9/69. That dated back to prehistoric times.

Coincided with opening of the Dan Ryan line and the Cermak  Chinatown station.  Now that station has an entrance on Archer.   The 24 can still serve the station and avoid the traffic entering and leaving the Chinatown feeder ramp serving the Dan Ryan and Stevenson Expressways.   Most of that traffic uses Cermak and Clark which backs up Cermak in both directions. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, west towns said:

chicago Tribune article on 8/5  mentioned Pace is planning expanded service on Edens from Jeff Park.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/transportation/ct-biz-pace-milwaukee-pulse-express-bus-getting-around-20190805-uvfie2gpgrdhdoffvmmfduljvm-story.html

I'm assuming the intention is for the incoming 641 to use it, along with the current 620 & 626

On 8/2/2019 at 10:16 AM, artthouwill said:

Coincided with opening of the Dan Ryan line and the Cermak  Chinatown station.  Now that station has an entrance on Archer.   The 24 can still serve the station and avoid the traffic entering and leaving the Chinatown feeder ramp serving the Dan Ryan and Stevenson Expressways.   Most of that traffic uses Cermak and Clark which backs up Cermak in both directions. 

I just thought about this - what if you are on the #24 and need to use the elevator?

I guess you still have to board or alight at Cermak.

On 8/2/2019 at 11:00 AM, andrethebusman said:

Official word is 54A will still be around September pick. No date set for elimination yet. PACE is "not ready" to implement their changes. So who knows when or at this point even if.

My guess is that the Pace North Shore Phase 2 changes will probably take place during the Winter pick* in late November or Early December 2019 and the 54A discontinuation may take place during the CTA Winter pick in December 2019.

* unless Pace made changes to the Phase 2 plans.

On 8/13/2019 at 10:07 PM, andrethebusman said:

Verified 54A lives on. Also verified 31 starts about 0700.

I see. Then the discontinuation of the 54A will likely execute in the December pick.

On 8/13/2019 at 11:48 PM, renardo870 said:

My guess is that the Pace North Shore Phase 2 changes will probably take place during the Winter pick* in late November or Early December 2019 and the 54A discontinuation may take place during the CTA Winter pick in December 2019.

* unless Pace made changes to the Phase 2 plans.

Well in the final report they verified that Phase 2 would begin between mid to late 2019. Technically Phase 2 has already started with the route change of Pace #215 running via Skokie Blvd, Church Ave, & Crawford Ave, which was actually part of the service change summary of the Pace/CTA North Shore Transit Coordination Plan.

4 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Pace route 215 225 270 and pulse along with new 641 will serve Jefferson park so once this all starts Jefferson park will be a hell hole during rush hour 

270 frequency just got reduced, the 225 already serves Jeff Pk, the 215 runs every 20-40 mins and the 641 is supposed to run every 40 mins, they'll be fine. If read the diagram correctly, there's one free bay on each side (happy to be wrong about that) and the 85 can double up since it's a thru route.

6 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

270 frequency just got reduced, the 225 already serves Jeff Pk, the 215 runs every 20-40 mins and the 641 is supposed to run every 40 mins, they'll be fine. If read the diagram correctly, there's one free bay on each side (happy to be wrong about that) and the 85 can double up since it's a thru route.

215/225 will use the same bay and there is 1 free bay on each your correct and the 85 will double up so the 641 has a bay

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1