Fall 2019 Service Changes

TaylorTank1229

On 7/31/2019 at 10:14 PM, TaylorTank1229 said:

Forum will contain upcoming updates on bus services for the fast-coming autumn 2019 season.

At the moment, this is all that’s currently known/confirmed for fall changes:

•24 - Wentworth: Routing between Clark/Archer and Wentworth/Cermak will be altered to operate via Wentworth, Archer, Clark and no longer operate via Wentworth, Cermak, Clark. This will go into effect on Monday, August 5th.

•31 - 31st: Service hours will be revised for buses to begin running between 6am-6:30am instead of 10am. This will go into effect sometime in September.

•54A - N. Cicero/Skokie Blvd: The route will be discontinued and service along the route will be partially be covered by Pace bus routes 215 & the new 641. While no date of initiation has yet to be announced, this will reportedly go in effect between September-November.

Besides the additional school trippers and the end of the beach trips, will there be any information on any other bus changes for the fall pick?

15 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Pace route 641 and 213 will go to Jefferson park or 215 

It’s 215 that’s go to Jefferson Park, not 213.

11 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

270 frequency just got reduced, the 225 already serves Jeff Pk, the 215 runs every 20-40 mins and the 641 is supposed to run every 40 mins, they'll be fine. If read the diagram correctly, there's one free bay on each side (happy to be wrong about that) and the 85 can double up since it's a thru route.

I believe the 641 will run every 30 minutes.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, renardo870 said:

Besides the additional school trippers and the end of the beach trips, will there be any information on any other bus changes for the fall pick?

If so, I’ve yet to know which ones.

41 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

CTA Fall Pick starts tomorrow?

What you mean tomorrow? You mean it be revealed the bus routes scheduled for the fall adjustments?

On 8/16/2019 at 1:54 AM, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Pace route 215 225 270 and pulse along with new 641 will serve Jefferson park so once this all starts Jefferson park will be a hell hole during rush hour 

Jefferson Park can handle the volume. Back in the day, what is now the Blue Line terminated there, as did all but one of the current routes (91 Austin) plus the 40 O'Harexpress, 56A North Milwaukee (this was in addition to the 270) 64 Foster Lawrence (essentially, the current 81W plus a Foster component), 209 DesPlaines/Woodfield, Greyhound, and higher frequency on 88 Higgins, 68 Northwest Highway, and 85A North Central. Everyone who now rides the Blue Line past Jeff Park got off there and took a bus to continue their trip. It was fine. It will be fine now, too.

• Upvote 1

On 8/16/2019 at 3:54 AM, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Jefferson park will be a hell hole during rush hour 

Like it wasn't a "hellhole" before during construction.  Yet I can't really call it a "hellhole" during that period.  It wasn't that bad.

Just cause they're adding two routes that run every 30-60 minutes it's now a "hellhole"..... okay buddy lol 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, rvwnsd said:

Jefferson Park can handle the volume. Back in the day, what is now the Blue Line terminated there, as did all but one of the current routes (91 Austin) plus the 40 O'Harexpress, 56A North Milwaukee (this was in addition to the 270) 64 Foster Lawrence (essentially, the current 81W plus a Foster component), 209 DesPlaines/Woodfield, Greyhound, and higher frequency on 88 Higgins, 68 Northwest Highway, and 85A North Central. Everyone who now rides the Blue Line past Jeff Park got off there and took a bus to continue their trip. It was fine. It will be fine now, too.

today is nothing as compared to when Jeff Park was the terminal.   Its important to know and understand history.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, west towns said:

today is nothing as compared to when Jeff Park was the terminal.   Its important to know and understand history.

Oh, heck no! My very first job was at the McDonald's at Milwaukee and Gale. Our little store did a LOT of business thanks to the Jefferson Park terminal. I recall boarding the standing room only Higgins bus at rush hour with buses lined up to take on passengers. 

4 hours ago, west towns said:

speaking of history remember the A and B stops?

YES! LOVED A and B stops. It was always fun riding past stations. I felt privileged in that I boarded at either Harlem or Jefferson Park (both A/B stations) and alighted downtown or at Chicago/State (also A/B stations). When they discontinued A and B stops during the day it seemed like the trip from downtown to Harlem took an eternity. By the time they completely eliminated them, I was working full-time and appreciated the incremental time because it meant I could nap for a few additional minutes. :) 

New alert on the CTA website for fall picks is up, set to go into effect on Sunday September 1st. Not much to expect for the autumn except for earlier service hours for #31, and improved Saturday service frequency of #66. The known alerts are stated below as well as the link:

https://www.transitchicago.com/travel-information/bus-status/?Page=Upcoming

#31 31st

Impact: Service Change

Tuesday, September 03, 2019
to TBD

Full Description: How does this affect my trip?
Weekday morning rush period service will start three hours earlier:

• The first westbound weekday trip will leave 35th/Rhodes earlier, at 6:30am
instead of 10am.

• The first eastbound weekday trip will leave the Ashland Orange Line station
earlier, at 7am instead of 10am.

Why is service being changed?
Service hours are being changed to provide expanded, more convenient service for customers, increase access to local points of interest, and improve travel options.

#66 Chicago

Impact: Service Change

Saturday, September 07, 2019
to TBD

Full Description: How does this affect my trip?
On Saturdays, increased service frequency will operate as follows:

• Eastbound service leaving Chicago/Austin, will operate every 7 to 9 minutes instead of every 9 to 12 minutes from 7am to 12pm.

• Westbound service leaving Navy Pier, will operate every 5 to 8.5 minutes instead of every 6 to 10 minutes from 12pm to 6pm.

Why is service being changed?
Frequency is being changed to match demand and ridership patterns.

15 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Fall Pick starts Sunday??expect bus moves 

FG is expected to get 100% flyers 

Though anything is possible,  FG becoming 100 percent New Flyer?  If it were to happen,  I don't think it will become that with the fall pick.  You have nearly 100 6400 series Novas and nearly 100 7900 series Novas.  

If you meant 100 New Flyers, each of the other garages would have to give up an average of 16 New Flyers.  If C and 74th received their combined total of 45 Proterras, then the other 4 garages would give up 14 New Flyers apiece.  That's a lot of buses, assuming that the purpose is to retire the 6400s.  It wouldn't make sense to me to swap New Flyers for 7900s at FG.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

Though anything is possible,  FG becoming 100 percent New Flyer?  If it were to happen,  I don't think it will become that with the fall pick.  You have nearly 100 6400 series Novas and nearly 100 7900 series Novas.  

If you meant 100 New Flyers, each of the other garages would have to give up an average of 16 New Flyers.  If C and 74th received their combined total of 45 Proterras, then the other 4 garages would give up 14 New Flyers apiece.  That's a lot of buses, assuming that the purpose is to retire the 6400s.  It wouldn't make sense to me to swap New Flyers for 7900s at FG.

1 hour ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Do you have proof of that?  There still needs to be a replacement for the 2nd Gen Novas that we all love except you apparently cause you're "special".

I meant by 100% flyers like getting more flyers????