Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

9 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

That’s the thing. 6 is essentially a Hyde park express that turns and doubles as a local. It’s best to put that on a straighter route. Anyone would have to transfer to go further East but those turns constantly mess up the 6 and makes it late. 

What turns are you talking about? The ones in Hyde Park?

5 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yeah I did it this year for the air and water show as an extra and the amount of traffic mixed in with the people made me wonder how the operators at Chicago deal with it on the regular.  I also wonder why it isn't used as a night car because the demand is there for it from what I've seen late nights.

Same thing I said but traffic just mostly be baf in certain parts 

18 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Well the left at 51st is kinda one but mainly the lights from 65th to 67th, the relief point, and the turn at south shore 

I can agree with this to some extent. I think modifications to the 6 need to preserve both the South Shore-Hyde Park 1-seat ride and Hyde Park-Downtown 1-seat ride, unless those were to be split into different routes. The last solution I can think (since I pretty sure you, I and others have beaten all the other horses to death) is to remove the 6 from Stony Island completely, and have some peak 28 trips that start at 67th/Stony and use Hyde Park instead of Lake Park replace that service. We know the 28 runs bi-directional during peak, so there wouldn't be as much deadhead, there would just have to be other buses that serve the rest of Stony Island. Maybe you could even switch the 192 interline for these trip? The 6 can use a combination of Cornell, Richards & Marquette or just LSD to go from Hyde Park/56th to 67th/Jeffery. It takes 7 mins for the 6 to go 10 blocks down Stony Island (from 57th to 67th), it could cover Hyde Park/56th to 67th/Jeffery in 3, with the lights.

Something happened on the 146 this evening, I passed on LSD and there were two 4300s sitting on marine, doors open. There were CPD Vehicles blocking marine off, I am not sure is it was a minor accident (I say minor because there did not seem to be any major damage to either of the buses), or if it was some form of crime. If it was a shooting or something it seems weird that two buses were involved, so most likely a minor accident. This happened between Montrose and Irving Park, I might check the news to see if they reported on it but I am not sure if they did.

Very tragic news to share tonight:

North Park’s #4201 was going northbound on marine drive and buena doing the 146 when the bus driver struck and killed a biker biker is DOA and bus driver went to the hospital for examination 

this brings a memory back to when 1 of 103rd’s 4300’s struck and killed a little girl on jeffery few years ago i think it was #4313 or #4315

3 hours ago, NovaBusFan said:

I been looking for #6697. I hope they make a few retired 2002 models as Instruction buses or when they fully retire the remaining fleet. Even 99% chance CTA isn’t going to do that.

Idk cuz they dont even use the instruction buses they got now when they go to training they go get a NF & train with it so they just collecting dust 

2 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

North Park’s #4201 was going northbound on marine drive and buena doing the 146 when the bus driver struck and killed a biker biker is DOA and bus driver went to the hospital for examination 

this brings a memory back to when 1 of 103rd’s 4300’s struck and killed a little girl on jeffery few years ago i think it was #4313 or #4315

I think it was 4315 I think 

3 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Exactly 6697 was dusty as he'll in the garage just like how 6470 is dusty as hell at 7

True, when I went to SS Friday I seen #1294 as an Instruction bus, like use the Instruction Novas lol Y’all got a point I just hope those get used while the rest of the #6400s are gone.?

4 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Too many bikes and bike lanes out here. Bikes seem to have more street cred going down the street than cars. Then you have motorised ones that go up to 25 or 30 mph. Its an accident waiting to happen. 

13 hours ago, TGP01 said:

Something happened on the 146 this evening, I passed on LSD and there were two 4300s sitting on marine, doors open. There were CPD Vehicles blocking marine off, I am not sure is it was a minor accident (I say minor because there did not seem to be any major damage to either of the buses), or if it was some form of crime. If it was a shooting or something it seems weird that two buses were involved, so most likely a minor accident. This happened between Montrose and Irving Park, I might check the news to see if they reported on it but I am not sure if they did.

12 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Cta will be anxious to review the video.  Ir should show the previous 30 seconds prior to the accident.   One thing that they will look for is if the bike shows up in the video early, say maybe Marine Drive and Irving Park    That stretch of Marine Drive us littered with stop signs.  Purely speculation,  but I think the bus may have passed or was in front of the bike approaching Buena, stopping at the stop sign and possibly discharging a passenger.  The bike possibly switched to the left side of the bus and upon pasing it cut in front of the bus to return to the right side.  The driver nay no have seen the bike  and pulled off, striking him.

As I was typing,  another thing popped up in my head.   What if the biker had been a passenger in the bus.  After retrieving the bike from the rack, the passenger was slow to get off the street ir the bus driver was quick to pull off,  striking him. I've seen many close calls with the last scenario on CTA and Pace.

The question is what was the 2bd bus doing?  Was it going in the same direction or opposite direction?  If the same direction,  was one of the buses a follower and picking up passengers from the involved bus?  Or could the biker crossed in front of one bus and the second bus going around it was the bus that actually hit the biker being blinded by the first bus?  That video would answer a lot of questions. 

9 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Too many bikes and bike lanes out here. Bikes seem to have more street cred going down the street than cars. Then you have motorised ones that go up to 25 or 30 mph. Its an accident waiting to happen. 

Regulate vehicles better and you have less accidents with bikes. Now I'm not sure who's at fault here, but the vast majority of bikers understand they can't win against fast moving tonnage and act accordingly. Roads, paths and sidewalks need to be designed better, with the safety of pedestrians and other non-vehicle riders held paramount. Besides, less bike lanes leads to more accidents with vehicles, which seems counterproductive.

8 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Regulate vehicles better and you have less accidents with bikes. Now I'm not sure who's at fault here, but the vast majority of bikers understand they can't win against fast moving tonnage and act accordingly. Roads, paths and sidewalks need to be designed better, with the safety of pedestrians and other non-vehicle riders held paramount. Besides, less bike lanes leads to more accidents with vehicles, which seems counterproductive.

Even with bike lanes alot of bikers dip & & out of the lanes or they just dont use them ive then almost hit bikers plenty if times with the bus or in my personal cars

1 minute ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Even with bike lanes alot of bikers dip & & out of the lanes or they just dont use them ive then almost hit bikers plenty if times with the bus or in my personal cars

yea they don’t know how to use a bike lane anymore but that part of marine drive is flooded with stop signs and bike lanes it’s pretty stupid for that many stop signs that’s why it takes the 146 close to 30-35 mins to get to belmont from foster when it should usually take 20-25