Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

Just now, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

yea they don’t know how to use a bike lane anymore but that part of marine drive is flooded with stop signs and bike lanes it’s pretty stupid for that many stop signs that’s why it takes the 146 close to 30-35 mins to get to belmont from foster when it should usually take 20-25

Yea alot of times they get in the way & they mess up the flow of traffic on some streets with bike lanes like on Taylor between jefferson & Morgan its already a 2 lane street now 1 side down to 1 lane instead of keeping the bike lane on big streets

2 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

yea they don’t know how to use a bike lane anymore but that part of marine drive is flooded with stop signs and bike lanes it’s pretty stupid for that many stop signs that’s why it takes the 146 close to 30-35 mins to get to belmont from foster when it should usually take 20-25

Yea like on taylor between jefferson & Morgan they took it from a 2 lane to a 1 lane just mess up the flow of traffic should only keep bike lanes on big streets 

19 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Even with bike lanes alot of bikers dip & & out of the lanes or they just dont use them ive then almost hit bikers plenty if times with the bus or in my personal cars

Stuff like bollards and Botts' dots would help with keeping bikes and cars separated and making sure either don't cross into the other's lanes outside of protected areas. That said, my point still stands; the onus is not on bikers (or even really on drivers, although they need to be made more aware) for basic safety protections in the street, it's the job of whatever the local municipality is. The amount of bike incursions in car spaces is nowhere near the amount of car incursions into bike spaces, and bike incursions are way more likely to be necessary (obstructed path, terrible paving, etc)

40 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Regulate vehicles better and you have less accidents with bikes. Now I'm not sure who's at fault here, but the vast majority of bikers understand they can't win against fast moving tonnage and act accordingly. Roads, paths and sidewalks need to be designed better, with the safety of pedestrians and other non-vehicle riders held paramount. Besides, less bike lanes leads to more accidents with vehicles, which seems counterproductive.

It just seems to mess up the traffic. Case in point. Traffic has been really horrendous the last few days in the logan blvd/Kedzie/milwaukee area. Logan blvd is having a road diet right now. Construction is in progress. Now that was a nice flowing blvd. Why do they have to screw it up and make it one lane. How do they expect people to get around? They couldnt have cut out a lane in the park land and say this is for bikes. They have the land but they are not using it. 

Central on the west side is another cdot head scratcher. They pulled out all the curbs on the corner to make the street one lsne. Now you know how they have the no parking in the rush in the park lane so the traffic can flow. How can that now happen? Its blocked. I guess we are supposed to sit in traffic all day. (That might be a good thing if we are working ot, i made alot of money just sitting in traffic) It doesnt make you want to come to the city though. Its just a headache. Ill stay in the suburbs and keep my sanity!! Lol!!

23 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Stuff like bollards and Botts' dots would help with keeping bikes and cars separated and making sure either don't cross into the other's lanes outside of protected areas. That said, my point still stands; the onus is not on bikers (or even really on drivers, although they need to be made more aware) for basic safety protections in the street, it's the job of whatever the local municipality is. The amount of bike incursions in car spaces is nowhere near the amount of car incursions into bike spaces, and bike incursions are way more likely to be necessary (obstructed path, terrible paving, etc)

3 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

It just seems to mess up the traffic. Case in point. Traffic has been really horrendous the last few days in the logan blvd/Kedzie/milwaukee area. Logan blvd is having a road diet right now. Construction is in progress. Now that was a nice flowing blvd. Why do they have to screw it up and make it one lane. How do they expect people to get around? They couldnt have cut out a lane in the park land and say this is for bikes. They have the land but they are not using it. 

Central on the west side is another cdot head scratcher. They pulled out all the curbs on the corner to make the street one lsne. Now you know how they have the no parking in the rush in the park lane so the traffic can flow. How can that now happen? Its blocked. I guess we are supposed to sit in traffic all day. (That might be a good thing if we are working ot, i made alot of money just sitting in traffic) It doesnt make you want to come to the city though. Its just a headache. Ill stay in the suburbs and keep my sanity!! Lol!!

41 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Yea alot of times they get in the way & they mess up the flow of traffic on some streets with bike lanes like on Taylor between jefferson & Morgan its already a 2 lane street now 1 side down to 1 lane instead of keeping the bike lane on big streets

Main streets should have bus lanes instead of bike. If bikers can’t make it without recklessly weaving or blowing through lights then take the bus and use the bike for the last mile of the trip. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The question is what was the 2bd bus doing?  Was it going in the same direction or opposite direction?  If the same direction,  was one of the buses a follower and picking up passengers from the involved bus?  Or could the biker crossed in front of one bus and the second bus going around it was the bus that actually hit the biker being blinded by the first bus?  That video would answer a lot of questions. 

They were both going north.

4 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Main streets should have bus lanes instead of bike. If bikers can’t make it without recklessly weaving or blowing through lights then take the bus and use the bike for the last mile of the trip. 

4 hours ago, Sam92 said:

And this is coming from a cyclist 

As another cyclist, I agree with this. I actually do this now in Philly, where biking conditions are worse. In Chicago, Divvy is great with last mile connections (I bike to/from my house to the ME when I’m in town)

7 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Bus lanes dont make it better either bro in my opinion its a waste cuz the buses dont even stay in their lane they be riding all over but a have the nerve to blow at you when you in that lane or cpd a have the nerve to stop you for it 

15 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Bus lanes dont make it better either bro in my opinion its a waste cuz the buses dont even stay in their lane they be riding all over but a have the nerve to blow at you when you in that lane or cpd a have the nerve to stop you for it 

Might have a blockage in the lane. That’s why is bikers end up on the streets. Idiots parking in the bike lanes “cause it’s only for a few minutes “ 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Tell that to the idiots on Halsted because they are literally asking to be hit by motorists. It's even worse when there's a mini pack of 4 or 5 of them together just messing up the flow of traffic because they will hardly stay in there designated lane. Which then causes that one timid motorists to slow down to the speed of the pack of bicyclists and just roll behind them. For whatever reason they love racing CTA buses and I don't understand why. 

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Might have a blockage in the lane. That’s why is bikers end up on the streets. Idiots parking in the bike lanes “cause it’s only for a few minutes “ 

Somewhat related, cars are really good at staying out of the bus lanes on Washington/Madison. I imagine it helps having a bus through there every 5-10 minutes help, but I can count one one hand every time I’ve seen an obstruction. Not sure how those lanes are enforced, but they seem to work

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

7 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Somewhat related, cars are really good at staying out of the bus lanes on Washington/Madison. I imagine it helps having a bus through there every 5-10 minutes help, but I can count one one hand every time I’ve seen an obstruction. Not sure how those lanes are enforced, but they seem to work

In my opinion they don't we still be late just the other day when I had the 60 I was 19 mins late downtown with the bus lanes & became even later before leaving downtown we get in our own way I had pulled up to close to a madison bus that was picking up alot of people or a wheelchair & my follower had pulled up close on me so I couldn't go around I honestly think the bus lanes was a Political stunt to say Chicago got fast bus service we still slow as McDonald's drive through 

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Just like today a bus on the 66 was riding in the left lane bus lane was empty wtf was she doing over there so then I went in the bus lane & drove around her & she blew at me & threw her hands up so I gave her the finger if they mess up traffic & give y'all a lane stay tf in it then

2 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

In my opinion they don't we still be late just the other day when I had the 60 I was 19 mins late downtown with the bus lanes & became even later before leaving downtown we get in our own way I had pulled up to close to a madison bus that was picking up alot of people or a wheelchair & my follower had pulled up close on me so I couldn't go around I honestly think the bus lanes was a Political stunt to say Chicago got fast bus service we still slow as McDonald's drive through 

Sounds like crowding, bus bunching and a wheelchair passenger is what caused you to be late, not the bus lane ??‍♂️

7 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Sounds like crowding, bus bunching and a wheelchair passenger is what caused you to be late, not the bus lane ??‍♂️

Naw I aint say the bus lane made me late I was already late & they say the bus lanes helps get bises back on time or keep them on time but it really dont cuz I never did get back on time they only got it just for a Political stunt imo its a waste & messes up the flow of traffic 

1 hour ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Naw I aint say the bus lane made me late I was already late & they say the bus lanes helps get bises back on time or keep them on time but it really dont cuz I never did get back on time they only got it just for a Political stunt imo its a waste & messes up the flow of traffic 

Those bus lanes are dumb anyway. On 79th no one obeys them. Sometimes I drive my bus down the chicago ave one. No one is policing the lane so it essentially is not there in the eyes of the commuter. 

I was lmao, on Racine they put these islands in north of 47th. Sometimes I layover my bus up there. Well it makes the road like a slalom so you cant speed. Driving a bus up there is like doing a roadeo. Lol!!

50 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Those bus lanes are dumb anyway. On 79th no one obeys them. Sometimes I drive my bus down the chicago ave one. No one is policing the lane so it essentially is not there in the eyes of the commuter. 

I was lmao, on Racine they put these islands in north of 47th. Sometimes I layover my bus up there. Well it makes the road like a slalom so you cant speed. Driving a bus up there is like doing a roadeo. Lol!!

I wouldn’t want to say this but tbh the 79th street bridge looks stupid with it. I preferred the original look of how it like looked, the other bridges over the Dan Ryan don’t have the bus lanes and that’s good. 

8 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yes it is dumb it dont speed up service or nothing it just makes traffic worse

9 hours ago, BusHunter said:

The "bus lanes" on Chicago and 79th that you see specifically for short distances at intersections are not actually full service bus lanes, but are queue jumps, designed to bring the bus to the front of the intersection, and at that, they do their job.

8 hours ago, NovaBusFan said:

I wouldn’t want to say this but tbh the 79th street bridge looks stupid with it. I preferred the original look of how it like looked, the other bridges over the Dan Ryan don’t have the bus lanes and that’s good. 

The lane on the bridge is so multiple buses can pull up without interference from cars, which is/was a common occurrence. Also, you're wrong that the other bridges don't have bus lanes, they're just not painted, but they're equally enforced. 95th has then in both directions, 87th has one EB, 69th has one EB, 47th has them in both directions and then ofc 79th with its EB lane. 5 mins of searching would've prevented you from making that post. All the stations with lanes have a high volume of buses coming through at any given time, which is why they're there.

43 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

The bus being there automatically makes traffic better. And road solutions need to be focused away from catering to cars.

How do buses make it better ?? they are good the way they are they are starting to become like big lanes they messing up streets catering to us 

58 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

The bus being there automatically makes traffic better. And road solutions need to be focused away from catering to cars.

Yeah but lets get realistic all those cars drivers are not going to ride the bus unless it is a real quality service that saves tons of time. Now the I-55 express does those two things. Really nice buses and a hassle free commute. 

The city is getting nuts with the bicycles. Bike lanes now go against the traffic and do not enter signs are being replaced with do not enter except for bikes. Essentially they have no rules to be accounted for.  They are painting the bicycle green areas across the traffic lane and in front of it. So whats the logic cars have to wait for bikes? They are putting those on streets like laramie. Theres not enough bikes for that. Ive always been a fan of bike trails. They need to have all river trails and naybe some bike bridges or additional trails along freight lines. Mixing it with the traffic is just wrong. I may work in the city but I dont have to contribute to its economy. At least in the suburbs there is some sanity.