Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

17 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Yesterday I rode the Blue Line in the pm rush headed to Forest Park.   While better than the empty trains last year, it's not quite near 2019 levels. 

The 192 takes city streets for consistency in travel time.   The Dan Ryan gets backed up by 31st in pm rush and on Fridays has been backed up as far as Garfield.   While LSD doesn't back up that far, McCormick Place is usually the back up point.   Indiana and Michigan Ave flow pretty well although prepandemic, even Michigan Ave backed up near Roosevelt.   

Unlike the private carriers that ran the service prior, CTA added the Roosevelt VTA station to the route, which makes the Dan Ryan impractical to use.  Don't even consider the Chinatown feeder ramp which is known to be a parking lot.  

After that post, I ended up taking the UPN, Brown & Green Lines as well, all during PM rush, although the Brown was a reverse commute. Definitely not quite back to 2019 levels yet, but it's getting there (for the CTA services). I have no frame of reference for the UPN, but everyone had a seat to themselves, so I can only assume it might've been more crowded.

That's interesting about the 192. Half the bus got off at Roosevelt, surpising to know that wasn't a stop before CTA took over

Why do people smoke on the bus or train? That’s so inconsiderate to every passenger and CTA employee on that bus and train, lately on the brown line people would smoke weed, smoke cigarettes, people smoking crack on the red line. A few weeks ago a man smoked crack on a 66 Chicago bus had to go out of service. Like why can’t you smoke outside before getting on CTA service or after, why on the CTA service? 

9 minutes ago, Javi78 said:

Why do people smoke on the bus or train? That’s so inconsiderate to every passenger and CTA employee on that bus and train, lately on the brown line people would smoke weed, smoke cigarettes, people smoking crack on the red line. A few weeks ago a man smoked crack on a 66 Chicago bus had to go out of service. Like why can’t you smoke outside before getting on CTA service or after, why on the CTA service? 

tbh i really don’t know it’s pretty annoying especially on the train yesterday i was on the red line car #5279 was pure reeking like weed smell wouldn’t get out 

21 minutes ago, Javi78 said:

It's because they are stupid 

4 hours ago, Javi78 said:

People nowadays feel like they have unlimited rights to do as they please.  Now that Marijuana us legal, people are going to smoke it any and everywhere.   Cigarette smokers were already inconsiderate.   Ever since smoking in buildings was prohibited,  people resort to smoking in bathrooms rather than gourmet outside. 

4 hours ago, Javi78 said:

Bullying and intimidation. They know no one is going to say anything out of fear of confrontation and some even actively anticipate and invite it in hopes of something happening. Just a tactic to exercise control from people who have none

The weed smokers get annoying sometimes, but nowhere in the country that I’ve taken the train is as bad as Philly. People actively smoke squares on both the platforms (even the underground ones) and on the train. I have not seen that literally anywhere else. Not Chicago, not NYC, not DC, not Cleveland, not ATL, not Boston and not even Baltimore. There’s close to a 1 in 5 chance I have to battle that acrid smoke anytime I want to take the train, it’s beyond annoying.

5 hours ago, Javi78 said:

There are announcements on trains that states “No smoking, Littering and eating on CTA vehicles”. People just don’t give a damn about it. 

4 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Bullying and intimidation. They know no one is going to say anything out of fear of confrontation and some even actively anticipate and invite it in hopes of something happening. Just a tactic to exercise control from people who have none

Things all fun and games until the train gets to station that happens to have police then now it’s a police confrontation, then the smokers going to play the police brutality card.

On 10/21/2021 at 1:14 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

That's interesting about the 192. Half the bus got off at Roosevelt, surprising to know that wasn't a stop before CTA took over

Don't take the 192 NB anytime after 5APM when the Bears play a weekday night game.  It's a flat out disaster from 18th/Michigan to Roosevelt/Canal!

8 hours ago, Javi78 said:

It's not the smokers that really annoy me, it's the people who have bought pot & are carrying it home.  That skunk smell is flat out horrible!

36 minutes ago, strictures said:

It's not the smokers that really annoy me, it's the people who have bought pot & are carrying it home.  That skunk smell is flat out horrible!

Or more likely they've smoked it to the point it's in their clothes and in their pores and hair.  The smell follows them and lingers.  As bad as it is, nothing is worse than the smell of an actual skunk.   That spray has literally woke me up from a deep sleep in the middle of the night. 

1 hour ago, strictures said:

Don't take the 192 NB anytime after 5APM when the Bears play a weekday night game.  It's a flat out disaster from 18th/Michigan to Roosevelt/Canal!

Sometimes I wish the 192 would just run down the same path as the 24 does from 55th street going NB because there is hardly any traffic on Lasalle other than the feeder ramp traffic until you get past 31st then if you wanted have the 192 head straight down 26th to Canal and up to union station from there and vice versa heading SB or have it run identical to the 24 until it reaches Roosevelt the head WB to canal. I know that connection to the Roosevelt station prevents that from being a reality but in all seriousness though. Is anyone really getting on or off there from the U of C that isn't heading towards Union Station?  

18 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Sometimes I wish the 192 would just run down the same path as the 24 does from 55th street going NB because there is hardly any traffic on Lasalle other than the feeder ramp traffic until you get past 31st then if you wanted have the 192 head straight down 26th to Canal and up to union station from there and vice versa heading SB or have it run identical to the 24 until it reaches Roosevelt the head WB to canal. I know that connection to the Roosevelt station prevents that from being a reality but in all seriousness though. Is anyone really getting on or off there from the U of C that isn't heading towards Union Station?  

Well if they need a red line connnextion that bad you still have them one regardless via the 24 at sox-35th

18 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

When private carriers ran the service,  it was for workers/students who were coming from the suburbs going to the U of C.  The only stops were Oglivie and Union Station.   When CTA won the contract,  i believed they added Roosevelt to the routes in part to avoid running into legal issues with private carriers.   CTA had to make it a public route and adding Roosevelt made the route accessible to other CTA services.   As someone mentioned before apparently half if the ridership boards/alights at the Roosevelt station.  In essence it is almost free money for CTA since these buses interline with the J14.  

9 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Well if they need a red line connnextion that bad you still have them one regardless via the 24 at sox-35th

It's not just a Red Line connection.   It's an Orange,  Green,  13, and 146 connection.  Otherwise they could eliminate the Roosevelt stop on the 192 and reinstate the 174, which was a shuttle from the Garfield Red Line to the Hospital area with the only other stop being Garfield Green.   Apparently people feel safer boarding at Roosevelt than at Garfield even though statistics may show more crime at Roosevelt than both Garfield stations.  The 174 was eliminated due to low ridership.  The other thing is to use the Dan Ryan and replace the Roosevelt station on the 192 with the Garfield train stations.  

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

When private carriers ran the service,  it was for workers/students who were coming from the suburbs going to the U of C.  The only stops were Oglivie and Union Station.   When CTA won the contract,  i believed they added Roosevelt to the routes in part to avoid running into legal issues with private carriers.   CTA had to make it a public route and adding Roosevelt made the route accessible to other CTA services.   As someone mentioned before apparently half if the ridership boards/alights at the Roosevelt station.  In essence it is almost free money for CTA since these buses interline with the J14.  

Yeah, idk what UChicago's shuttle was doing beforehand, but I'd be surprised if they got away with removing the Roosevelt stop now, especially with how little ridership has recovered on Metra. The only thing about Indiana/Michigan are lights, otherwise, the NB segment on Indiana from 55th to 31st is the fastest portion of the route.

I was the one who mentioned the alighting at Roosevelt, and yes, half the passengers got off (the bus was jammed and at standing capacity). As @artthouwill pointed out, Roosevelt is basically a spread out transit center, and offers 1-seat rides by bus or train to other parts of the city, some pretty far out. Now someone on the 1, 3, 4 or 29 probably isn't taking the 192, but 12, 18, 62, 146, Orange, Green & Red?

UChicago has actually reintroduced shuttle service to Garfield Green (not sure about Red), but I imagine people coming to UChicago are actually probably still going (and are) to take the 192 if the shuttle doesn't take them slightly closer to where they need to go. Especially if they have a UPass