Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

10 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The 6 has always had its terminus at Michigan and Wacker.

The J14 got its routing as a result of the combination of the old 1 Drwxel/Hyde Park and the old 38 Indiana.  The new 1 Indiana/Hyde Park took the 28's terminus at Union Station and the 14 took the old 1's terminus at NW Station (OgIlivie).

Until the 3 was extended to Northwestern Hospitals, the 2 was the only south side bus route other than the 29 to cross the Chicago River  The reason the 3 was extended was to give the residents along Michigan and Indiana south of Roosevelt a one seat ride to the Mag Mile.  Rwmemer Mayor Richard M Daley lived on Indiana after moving from. Bridgeport.   The 3 was rerouted via Indiana between Roosevelt and 16th 

Yould make a case to truncate the 26 to Wacker and extend the 6 to Chicago, nut that might create redundancy with the 10.

Like I said, I know why the 3 does what it does, I personally don’t like the trade offs. However, there’s not really anything to replace it with and it does serve more than one need.

IMO, there can be no redundancy with the 10. It only runs 3 months out the year and it’s only stop in Hyde Park is MScI, and not everyone is making that trek over to the bus stop. While i like the idea of switching the 6 & 26, the 28 would also probably have to have its downtown routing changed to compensate for the 6 picking up all those extra riders

8 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Like I said, I know why the 3 does what it does, I personally don’t like the trade offs. However, there’s not really anything to replace it with and it does serve more than one need.

IMO, there can be no redundancy with the 10. It only runs 3 months out the year and it’s only stop in Hyde Park is MScI, and not everyone is making that trek over to the bus stop. While i like the idea of switching the 6 & 26, the 28 would also probably have to have its downtown routing changed to compensate for the 6 picking up all those extra riders

Yeah once you’re north of 35th, going to mag mile is easier on the 3 because the walk to the red line is pretty far and 35th runs like crap. BUT I agree with you that service needs to be sped up; what would’ve been smart is instead of completely cutting X4 leaving the portion from 35th to Chicago in service and skipping stops as early as wacker to speed up the ride for people already on board north of the river. I’m with  you that 6 wouldn’t be too redundant but it has the shortest pick up zone in downtown yet gets packed so that’s a no go off that. Honestly J14 is the only bus that would make sense sending to mag mile because to be honest it doesn’t pick up riders till state which are transferring from that part of downtown anyway. This also helps the 3 cause those people that are getting on north of the river just to hop off at Monroe will jsut wait for the 14 right there so the 3 is sped up by focusing solely on what it really needs to focus on, the Bronzeville area. 6 and 28 need to be combined with every other bus turning at 63rd

8 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Yeah once you’re north of 35th, going to mag mile is easier on the 3 because the walk to the red line is pretty far and 35th runs like crap. BUT I agree with you that service needs to be sped up; what would’ve been smart is instead of completely cutting X4 leaving the portion from 35th to Chicago in service and skipping stops as early as wacker to speed up the ride for people already on board north of the river.

If an all-day connection from Bronzeville to Mag Mile is important, would it make sense to move the 29 from Navy Pier to Mag Mile? The 62 can be moved to Navy Pier to compensate, and then the 3 can be truncated at the river. If that doesn't work, then maybe the 1 could be moved from Union Station to Mag Mile. That would be similar to your concept of a truncated X4.

9 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

If the 6 is extended to Mag Mile, then the 2 and 28 should swap Downtown routings. That way the 28 would reduce the load on the 6, while the 2 keeps the connection between Hyde Park/Kenwood and West Loop. This would also have the added benefit of possibly making the 28 an electric route if a charger is placed at 103rd Garage.

I've seen many proposals of truncating the 6 at 63rd or 67th. Here's my proposal for such a thing:

• Truncate the 6 at the 67th/South Shore terminal currently used by the 67.
  • East of 69th Red Line, the 71 will run like the current 67 to South Shore, then run via South Shore to 75th, then via normal routing to 112th/Torrence. It will be renamed 5 South Shore Local.
  • East of 69th Red Line, the 67 will run via 71st (similar to the current 71) terminate at 73rd/Exchange. It will be renamed 71 69th/71st.

4 hours ago, Anthony Devera said:

If an all-day connection from Bronzeville to Mag Mile is important, would it make sense to move the 29 from Navy Pier to Mag Mile? The 62 can be moved to Navy Pier to compensate, and then the 3 can be truncated at the river. If that doesn't work, then maybe the 1 could be moved from Union Station to Mag Mile. That would be similar to your concept of a truncated X4.

If the 6 is extended to Mag Mile, then the 2 and 28 should swap Downtown routings. That way the 28 would reduce the load on the 6, while the 2 keeps the connection between Hyde Park/Kenwood and West Loop. This would also have the added benefit of possibly making the 28 an electric route if a charger is placed at 103rd Garage.

I've seen many proposals of truncating the 6 at 63rd or 67th. Here's my proposal for such a thing:

• East of 69th Red Line, the 71 will run like the current 67 to South Shore, then run via South Shore to 75th, then via normal routing to 112th/Torrence. It will be renamed 5 South Shore Local.
  • East of 69th Red Line, the 67 will run via 71st (similar to the current 71) terminate at 73rd/Exchange. It will be renamed 71 69th/71st.

Moving the 29 doesn’t help because it’s already close to the L hence my point about the 3 needing to stay. I agree with your restructuring of the 67 and 71 but stand firmly on J14 being the bus to mag mile. The 6 is full the moment it hits the 2nd stop in. J14 is empty for roughly its first mile and also would ease crowding on the 3 by allowing J14 riders to hop on earlier rather than hoping on just to transfer across the river. 

4 hours ago, Anthony Devera said:

Here’s what I propose as far as 6 and 28. Have 28 take over the 6 north of Stony, run with artics at 7-9 min headways north of 63rd, double south of there. Make a new 6 that starts at 60th and Stony and does the old x28 routing from there. 2 basically replaces 173 indirectly so you can’t take that away. Take the buses saved by keeping Hyde park at the same frequency but reducing vehicle needs on stony by using artics and use them to beef up service on J14 and 15 to make up for the transfer penalty incurred by pulling the 6 off south shore. 

13 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Here’s what I propose as far as 6 and 28. Have 28 take over the 6 north of Stony, run with artics at 7-9 min headways north of 63rd, double south of there. Make a new 6 that starts at 60th and Stony and does the old x28 routing from there. 2 basically replaces 173 indirectly so you can’t take that away. Take the buses saved by keeping Hyde park at the same frequency but reducing vehicle needs on stony by using artics and use them to beef up service on J14 and 15 to make up for the transfer penalty incurred by pulling the 6 off south shore. 

I had similar thoughts.  The 6 would actually start at 60th and Cottage Grove to Stony Island and through Hyde Park, then actually duplicate the 2 to Navy Pier.   It would maintain the bidirectional rush routing entering and exiting LSD at 47th in the off peak direction.  The 2 then can be truncated back to Drexel Square and only run peak direction.   Those 2s can deadhead from downtown to the Museum of Science and Industry and run another 6 back north, creating a higher frequency.   The only thing is whether 60th can handle srtics, otherwise 61st might be a better option.  I would also charge the 28 terminal to at least Michigan and Wacker..

17 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I had similar thoughts.  The 6 would actually start at 60th and Cottage Grove to Stony Island and through Hyde Park, then actually duplicate the 2 to Navy Pier.   It would maintain the bidirectional rush routing entering and exiting LSD at 47th in the off peak direction.  The 2 then can be truncated back to Drexel Square and only run peak direction.   Those 2s can deadhead from downtown to the Museum of Science and Industry and run another 6 back north, creating a higher frequency.   The only thing is whether 60th can handle srtics, otherwise 61st might be a better option.  I would also charge the 28 terminal to at least Michigan and Wacker..

The 28 woulld be Michigan and wacker since it replaces the 6. 2 would keep its routing and the new 6 would go to Union as a back up in case someone misses a 192 plus to keep the Hyde park/Union connection 

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

The 28 woulld be Michigan and wacker since it replaces the 6. 2 would keep its routing and the new 6 would go to Union as a back up in case someone misses a 192 plus to keep the Hyde park/Union connection 

I don't think much of the Hyde Park Union Station connection.  That's why the 6 is still heavy but not the 28.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Ive did the 72 & I say its mostly long in between western & Clark sometimes to Pulaski after that its mostly butter

Yeah I did it this year for the air and water show as an extra and the amount of traffic mixed in with the people made me wonder how the operators at Chicago deal with it on the regular.  I also wonder why it isn't used as a night car because the demand is there for it from what I've seen late nights.

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Anyone else surprised archer didn’t make it in the top 10 of longest routes? It’s not to far off from Ashland 

I was thinking about Archer but outside of the traffic beginning at Western it isn't so bad but yeah it is long for sure. I've done a few round trips joy riding during the rush hour periods and I'll never do it again.One trip we got caught by a slow moving UP freight train right before Cicero and that took about 20 minutes. ?

42 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I don't think much of the Hyde Park Union Station connection.  That's why the 6 is still heavy but not the 28.

I don't know if people are riding all the way to Union Station, but before the pandemic, I would sometimes take the 28 and it would be packed. It's possible that those people are riding to West Loop.

3 hours ago, Sam92 said:

The tricky part about the 28 is that it serves two purposes depending on the time. During peak hours, it serves as a bus from the south side to Downtown, mainly to ease crowding on the 6. But during off-peak, it takes people along Stony Island to/from destinations in Hyde Park. If the 28 takes over the 6 full time, that basically removes the one-seat ride between Stony Island and Hyde Park, and if it is moved to Lake Park, then people along Hyde Park Blvd lose their connection to Downtown. This problem came up during the Lake Shore restructures in 2003-2004, and again early in the De-Crowding plan when the 28 was temporarily moved to Hyde Park Blvd. This is why I think the 6 should be truncated at 67th and get increased service and the 28 should be kept mostly the way it is now.

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yeah I did it this year for the air and water show as an extra and the amount of traffic mixed in with the people made me wonder how the operators at Chicago deal with it on the regular.  I also wonder why it isn't used as a night car because the demand is there for it from what I've seen late nights.

Rte 9 Ashland is the night car between Ashland and Clark. Don`t know how much demand is west of Ashland but the bummer last westbound trip is between 1:30 and 1:40 and pulls in at Pulaski.

4 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Anyone else surprised archer didn’t make it in the top 10 of longest routes? It’s not to far off from Ashland 

The 62 is 13.06 miles. That's less than every other route I mentioned yesterday except the 147. However, since I realized the shapefile distances are clearly off, there are other routes who come into contention first. The 3 is 13.2 miles long, the 8 is 14.26 miles long, the 49 is 15.94 miles long. Excluding the 169 & X98 and the 2 (simply cause I can only get the length while the route is in service), the proper top 10 list goes like:

1. 26 - 19.7 miles
  2. 9 - 17.01 miles (to 95th, 104th routing not shown)
  3. 94 - 16.63 miles
  4. 49 - 15.94 miles
  5. J14 - 15.88 miles
  6. 4 - 15.43 miles (to 115th)
  7. 30 - 14.47 miles (to 69th)
  8. 8 - 14.26 miles
  9. 28 - 14.05 miles (to Union Station)
  10. 6 - 13.22 miles

I believe the 62 would come in around 12th or 13th place, behind the 3, but ahead of the 29.

2 hours ago, Anthony Devera said:

I don't know if people are riding all the way to Union Station, but before the pandemic, I would sometimes take the 28 and it would be packed. It's possible that those people are riding to West Loop.

The 28, much like the J14, loses a lot of it's riders by Wabash & State. 

2 hours ago, Anthony Devera said:

The tricky part about the 28 is that it serves two purposes depending on the time. During peak hours, it serves as a bus from the south side to Downtown, mainly to ease crowding on the 6. But during off-peak, it takes people along Stony Island to/from destinations in Hyde Park. If the 28 takes over the 6 full time, that basically removes the one-seat ride between Stony Island and Hyde Park, and if it is moved to Lake Park, then people along Hyde Park Blvd lose their connection to Downtown. This problem came up during the Lake Shore restructures in 2003-2004, and again early in the De-Crowding plan when the 28 was temporarily moved to Hyde Park Blvd. This is why I think the 6 should be truncated at 67th and get increased service and the 28 should be kept mostly the way it is now.

The people living on Stony Island going to Hyde Park are not going to Hyde Park Blvd, they're going to Lake Park Ave or downtown. The people hurt by the 28 moving would be the people of Hyde Park Blvd, and tbh, most of them can walk to Lake Park Ave if bus service were to entirely disappear from that corridor (which it never would). But people living on Stony Island aren't going to complain about that, Lake Park Ave (along with 53rd St) is Hyde Park's commercial corridor. No one's going to where the people are, they're going to the businesses. All that being said, if I read right, the proposal you've quoted wouldn't have removed the Hyde Park Blvd service to downtown, or removed the connection from Stony Island to Lake Park Ave.

Truncating the 6 entirely isn't a viable option, unless the 26 were to start running off-peak, and even then probably not. It's one thing to have rush hour service turnback at 60th or 63rd, and there's probably a small need for it, but there's also a reason that service isn't in the schedule and hasn't been in the last 6 years. In fact, I wager it hasn't been there since the current 28 rush hour set up. That said, the 6 still has riders south of Hyde Park, often to the end of the line and not 1-2 people. Riders are transferring to the J14, 71, 75 & 79. Additionally, people living in South Shore need to get to Hyde Park too. A 6 will get off LSD (JPBdS?), stop at 47th/Lake Park, let off a bunch of passengers and almost immediately replace them. A 6 can be standing capacity all the way to 67th/Jeffery. The 6 does not only serve Hyde Park, even if a significant portion of it's riders come from there.

51 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

The 28, much like the J14, loses a lot of it's riders by Wabash & State. 

The people living on Stony Island going to Hyde Park are not going to Hyde Park Blvd, they're going to Lake Park Ave or downtown. The people hurt by the 28 moving would be the people of Hyde Park Blvd, and tbh, most of them can walk to Lake Park Ave if bus service were to entirely disappear from that corridor (which it never would). But people living on Stony Island aren't going to complain about that, Lake Park Ave (along with 53rd St) is Hyde Park's commercial corridor. No one's going to where the people are, they're going to the businesses. All that being said, if I read right, the proposal you've quoted wouldn't have removed the Hyde Park Blvd service to downtown, or removed the connection from Stony Island to Lake Park Ave.

Truncating the 6 entirely isn't a viable option, unless the 26 were to start running off-peak, and even then probably not. It's one thing to have rush hour service turnback at 60th or 63rd, and there's probably a small need for it, but there's also a reason that service isn't in the schedule and hasn't been in the last 6 years. In fact, I wager it hasn't been there since the current 28 rush hour set up. That said, the 6 still has riders south of Hyde Park, often to the end of the line and not 1-2 people. Riders are transferring to the J14, 71, 75 & 79. Additionally, people living in South Shore need to get to Hyde Park too. A 6 will get off LSD (JPBdS?), stop at 47th/Lake Park, let off a bunch of passengers and almost immediately replace them. A 6 can be standing capacity all the way to 67th/Jeffery. The 6 does not only serve Hyde Park, even if a significant portion of it's riders come from there.

That’s the thing. 6 is essentially a Hyde park express that turns and doubles as a local. It’s best to put that on a straighter route. Anyone would have to transfer to go further East but those turns constantly mess up the 6 and makes it late.