Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

On 3/8/2022 at 9:36 AM, Busjack said:

There was the discussion when 95E and 95W were merged that the Clever Device called up a sign code for something like 90N, which had not been cleared.

I know all computer codes are virtual, but CTA should straighten out its codes similat to the Pace pattern, such as 0151 151 Sheridan to Union Station, 1151 Sheridan to Devomn/Clark, etc. CTA seems pretty good in adjusting street names, like to IDA B. WELLS, but not cleaning out the garbage signs.

As far as 95 goes I'm surprised they didn't just reprogram the old 95E and 95W signs into the new route as was done with 146 runs or J14. Looks like the only thing that ever left the system are the old pre orange line buses but I'm curious if those were just at some point reused since @YoungBusLovertried and failed to get. Of course that's a lot of cross referencing to do LOL

On 3/23/2022 at 7:16 PM, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

100% 1228 is somewhere getting worked on

On 3/23/2022 at 6:45 PM, BusHunter said:

You know you guys were saying that bus and 1228 was not in the boneyard or at SS. Probably because they were sent away for body work. 

Perhaps it’s been 4 years without it

I recently stumbled upon this tweet.

image.jpeg.a94331397b826c9ce733a658eb3f0119.jpeg

https://mobile.twitter.com/StarLineChicago/status/1504476092060504085

Made we wonder, if the CTA were to hypothetically build more shuttle services like the Yellow Line, where in the region would they make the most sense?

Maybe a Yellow Line-like service that replicates the route of the former Westchester Branch? What about a shuttle between Schaumburg and Rosemont’s station?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, cityguy426 said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/StarLineChicago/status/1504476092060504085

Made we wonder, if the CTA were to hypothetically build more shuttle services like the Yellow Line, where in the region would they make the most sense?

Maybe a Yellow Line-like service that replicates the route of the former Westchester Branch? What about a shuttle between Schaumburg and Rosemont’s station?

I like the idea but in reality I don't know if this works.   The shuttle has to be timed to arrive at Garfield about 2 minutes before the train from Ashland branch arrives.  That shuttle also has to have an Ashland branch SB train arrive at the same time so that it (shuttle) can switch tracks and load SB.minimizing the waiting time for Cottage Grove bound passengers.  

Unlike the Yellow Line   this covers a very short distance.  If a transfer is required,  even a free transfer, I would imagine most people will continue to use the 63 and transfer to the Red Line.   This was the case when the Englewood and Jackson Park branches and SSM were linked to the Howard service and had double the current frequency with no other transfer necessary.  Ironically enough,  that's the reason a shuttle works.  There's more ridership on the Ashland branch and it could benefit from increased frequencies.  If nothing else it's an inexpensive way to alter service.  If there is pushback, then i would compromise by running the shuttle off peak and let the Cottage Grove branch have the current service during rush periods.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, cityguy426 said:

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I like the idea but in reality I don't know if this works.   The shuttle has to be timed to arrive at Garfield about 2 minutes before the train from Ashland branch arrives.  That shuttle also has to have an Ashland branch SB train arrive at the same time so that it (shuttle) can switch tracks and load SB.minimizing the waiting time for Cottage Grove bound passengers.  

Unlike the Yellow Line   this covers a very short distance.  If a transfer is required,  even a free transfer, I would imagine most people will continue to use the 63 and transfer to the Red Line.   This was the case when the Englewood and Jackson Park branches and SSM were linked to the Howard service and had double the current frequency with no other transfer necessary.  Ironically enough,  that's the reason a shuttle works.  There's more ridership on the Ashland branch and it could benefit from increased frequencies.  If nothing else it's an inexpensive way to alter service.  If there is pushback, then i would compromise by running the shuttle off peak and let the Cottage Grove branch have the current service during rush periods.

The general idea has merit. Currently, it is every 15 minutes russh and 20 off peak on each branch, which is too infrequent for real rapid transit service. There were, long, long ago, Normal Park and Stock Yards shuttles--which brings up the point: how much demand is at each of the 4 affected stations?  Looking at RTAMS for July 2019 (to eliminate COVID), average daily ridership is: Ashland 999, Halsted 512, King Dr. 481, and Cottage Grove 1081. That compares to 2808 at 63/Red Line. Maybe the TOD at Cottage will increase ridership, in which case Cottage  Grove should be the main line. Whether this is enough to justify the shuttle, or, as Art suggests, the transfer would kill ridership, I don't know.

Former Westchester branch would be covered in part by any service along I-290 to Hillside; there would be no point to going down Westchester Blvd., which, like the NS&M, was supposed to be a bypass route for the AE&C. Metra proposed a  DMU train on I-90, but the Pace service renders that moot.

• Upvote 1