CTA New Bus Order 2020

Tcmetro

Just now, BusHunter said:

Cta is going backwards. Pace is the future around here. So how many years will it take them to get the order? 

Since I cant seem to edit my post (no tab) a contract for 600 buses with nova is laughable. That will take at least 4 years from the receiving of the first non prototype bus. Plus the ac, the ac!!!!!. This will probably bite them just wait and see

Just now, Shannoncvpi said:

Yea it is said & I agree I hope it aint no bouncy house or none of that 

I agree these buses better have working things that need to be fixed in the other buses because one time in one of those 82xx novas on the 86 in 2018 I was like in a heat stroke I just couldn't wait to get off that bus. these buses are a pain and I want these new ones to have great A/C in case I have to ride them every day in the summer again.

1 minute ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

I agree these buses better have working things that need to be fixed in the other buses because one time in one of those 82xx novas on the 86 in 2018 I was like in a heat stroke I just couldn't wait to get off that bus. these buses are a pain and I want these new ones to have great A/C in case I have to ride them every day in the summer again.

Yea the AC suck ass

1 minute ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Yea the AC suck ass

The Old novas have the best A/C as others mentioned and I sure agree with them. I rode 6784 for 50 minutes last summer and once I got off, it felt like me after eating ice cream. 8297 had alright A/C but I got hot at times and I got off normally. This is why I always take the old novas when I got a chance. D40LF A/c is okay but it's too loud as well.

38 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

It's funny that the 7900s still had these problems when those buses sat at South Shops for months AFTER CTA accepted delivery before they ever went into service.   I can't recall any other series, not even NABI buses, sitting idle that long before entering service.

I suppose 103rd will eventually transition into a Nova garage.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Well now that we know what we're getting all I ask for is for better braking systems and suspensions on this next batch of Novas because man.........?

What I want is a software fix that will prevent the drivers from jerking the bus from a standing start.  The Pace drivers manage to start their buses without the jerk, but CTA drivers seem to love doing it & coming close to knocking passengers over. 

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

It's funny that the 7900s still had these problems when those buses sat at South Shops for months AFTER CTA accepted delivery before they ever went into service.   I can't recall any other series, not even NABI buses, sitting idle that long before entering service.

I suppose 103rd will eventually transition into a Nova garage.

Probably 77th too most likely. Good luck getting the buses in time before the NFs start failing. With only 400 nfs left that are 40 foot it will be rare for a garage to have nf buses and I dont believe there will be a nf only garage. While it would be interesting to see some Nova artics, the 40 foot models leave alot to be desired. It would have been interesting to buy some gilligs or even some Eldorado buses. At least Eldorado has some good ac on its buses. 

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I would add better a/c.

I would have loved to have seen Xcelsiors in the CTA fleet.  But CTA went with Novas because Pace doesn't have any and CTA doesn't like modern designs (see CTA TRains as evidence,).

I would've loved Xcelsiors too. How do the trains show CTA doesn't like modern design? Personally, no one will ever be as bad as WMATA before the 7000 series. And all agencies manage to keep a style guide while modernizing imo (MBTA, WMATA, NYC MTA, Miami-Dade's metro, BART)

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Probably 77th too most likely. Good luck getting the buses in time before the NFs start failing. With only 400 nfs left that are 40 foot it will be rare for a garage to have nf buses and I dont believe there will be a nf only garage. While it would be interesting to see some Nova artics, the 40 foot models leave alot to be desired. It would have been interesting to buy some gilligs or even some Eldorado buses. At least Eldorado has some good ac on its buses. 

Overall, I would've liked to see anyone but Eldorado or Nova get this contract. And this right here, " I dont believe there will be a nf only garage" has just now ensure the fate of FG in a couple of years, I'm calling it now 

54 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Overall, I would've liked to see anyone but Eldorado or Nova get this contract. And this right here, " I dont believe there will be a nf only garage" has just now ensure the fate of FG in a couple of years, I'm calling it now 

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

K was NF until we got the beat up novas from 7 no offense but those are tired already

9 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I dont believe cta will ever give fg the #1930's no matter what age they are. But chicago holding those in most of the time are making those low mileage buses compared to the others. Dont know if theyll stay at chicago or not. 77th in my reference will get most likely all new novas. The novas they have could end up at fg. I'm just saying you know how they were heavy nf. Now theyll be heavy nova bus. 

13 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Certainly not out of the equation and there's precedent that 77th would get the new buses first.  I still say FG should get the first 100 new Novas to retire the 6400s.  After that, it doesn't matter who gets them.  I don't see K and P getting them though.

31 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Certainly not out of the equation and there's precedent that 77th would get the new buses first.  I still say FG should get the first 100 new Novas to retire the 6400s.  After that, it doesn't matter who gets them.  I don't see K and P getting them though.

I see a return to consolidation that I dislike. Most likely all but 2 garages will get novas, but in that scenario, fg would revert back to nf's which is actually going backwards instead of forward. 

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

FG needs to get the first 100 but my guess is they'll get 77th's #7900's while we receive the newest #8350's, It would make the most sense though for FG to receive them but after that it's a free for all as far as the other garages are concerned. FG,103rd,77th and 74th in that order should receive the newest #8350's. I'd also say this as a long shot but knowing how 77th operates I wouldn't be surprised if any #6800's ended up here again before officially getting retired. We could use the extra equipment regardless of age might as well go out with a bang. ???? 

5 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I dont believe cta will ever give fg the #1930's no matter what age they are. But chicago holding those in most of the time are making those low mileage buses compared to the others. Dont know if theyll stay at chicago or not. 77th in my reference will get most likely all new novas. The novas they have could end up at fg. I'm just saying you know how they were heavy nf. Now theyll be heavy nova bus. 

I don't care where the 1930s go, as long as they replace the seats with the seats on the rest of the 1000s!  There's a couple of them at NP & those seats are an atrocity!

37 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

FG needs to get the first 100 but my guess is they'll get 77th's #7900's while we receive the newest #8350's, It would make the most sense though for FG to receive them but after that it's a free for all as far as the other garages are concerned. FG,103rd,77th and 74th in that order should receive the newest #8350's. I'd also say this as a long shot but knowing how 77th operates I wouldn't be surprised if any #6800's ended up here again before officially getting retired. We could use the extra equipment regardless of age might as well go out with a bang. ???? 

At least you'll have some buses with good AC!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

That would be nice but 7 gone get all the the rides first as always 

44 minutes ago, geneking7320 said:

I hope I can ask this question without derailing this thread.

I just searched for the wheelbase of the 40ft Novabus LFS and it was 244in.

The 40ft New Flyer DLF has a wheelbase of 293in. 

To the operators on this site - are those differences good, bad, or indifferent?

I never drove for CTA, but generally speaking from my motor coach experience, longer wheelbase give better, more stable rides.  The pivot point for turns us shorter on the shorter wheelbase vehicles, but that tends to lead to more swing out action with the rear of the bus. My eye test tells me the front end of the Novas are longer (slightly) than the New Flyers.  The  back end from the back wheels also seems longer on the Novas cs the New Flyers.  While I have never driven a Nova, u have driven New Flyer low floors.  They are quick and hold the road well.  I hated driven an Xcelsior though.