CTA New Bus Order 2020

Tcmetro

7 hours ago, John7 said:

As someone who recently moved to Memphis, I got a chance to ride MATA's gillig bus. They run pretty well.(with the exception of the plastic seats. Uncomfortable as it gets) So if the cta ends up getting Gillig's then it'll be an interesting sight to see. 

I visited Minneapolis in 2009 and rode some Gilligs there. I thought they were great. I like the BRT fronts.

3 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

I visited Minneapolis in 2009 and rode some Gilligs there. I thought they were great. I like the BRT fronts.

In a lot of ways, the Gillig low floor (non-BRT) reminds me of the MAN Americanas. (If I've said this before, apologies for repeating myself)

5 hours ago, John7 said:

As someone who recently moved to Memphis, I got a chance to ride MATA's gillig bus. They run pretty well.(with the exception of the plastic seats. Uncomfortable as it gets) So if the cta ends up getting Gillig's then it'll be an interesting sight to see. 

ahhhh, MATA. I miss those 60 ft neoplans they had on the 50 & 42. They redid the system in November and somehow managed to make it better and worse at the same time. I don't miss riding it; for a metropolitan area its size, Memphis has spectacularly bad public transit. Like I've had the benefit of taking a number of public transit systems across the country and MATA really might be the worst I've ever been on. One route before the shake-up had a 120 min headway 

3 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

ahhhh, MATA. I miss those 60 ft neoplans they had on the 50 & 42. They redid the system in November and somehow managed to make it better and worse at the same time. I don't miss riding it; for a metropolitan area its size, Memphis has spectacularly bad public transit. Like I've had the benefit of taking a number of public transit systems across the country and MATA really might be the worst I've ever been on. One route before the shake-up had a 120 min headway 

Years ago I rode the 58 Summer route to downtown.  The first day I got anRTS. and the rest of the week I rode the old GMC fushbowks.  Back in q983. That route had 60 minute headway, which seemed crazy for a city.

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Years ago I rode the 58 Summer route to downtown.  The first day I got anRTS. and the rest of the week I rode the old GMC fushbowks.  Back in q983. That route had 60 minute headway, which seemed crazy for a city.

Before the system reboot, there were only two routes that had 15 min headways during rush hour. Every other route had 20 mins or worse. And they could get worse. Summer (now the 52) was one of the better ones

On 1/26/2021 at 3:41 PM, John7 said:

I have rode a few GPTC Gillig's back in 2016. They were very interesting to ride even though GPTC only runs Gillig's. 

20191016_174927.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tcmetro said:

New bus order going before the board tomorrow. $334 million total contract value giving an average bus price of $556,600.

Here's the finance committee agenda:

https://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/21/Feb2021_-_FAB_Web_Agenda.pdf?26684

This would be for the beginning replacement of the shoeboxes, correct?

Also, can someone explain line item B-1? Because to me, it's looking like its $253k total for 45 electric buses

6 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Also, can someone explain line item B-1? Because to me, it's looking like its $253k total for 45 electric buses

I think the base order retires the 6400s.  The options would retire the oddest shoeboxes..

As For the electrics, its a base infer for 29 buses, with an option to purchase up to 25 more for a maximum of 45 buses.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I think the base order retires the 6400s.  The options would retire the oddest shoeboxes..

As For the electrics, its a base infer for 29 buses, with an option to purchase up to 25 more for a maximum of 45 buses.

Yeah that sounds about right, 

22 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I don't think the retirements for the #1000's would start until after the rehabs start and the order for 500 additional buses begin to get delivered that's going off of a small hunch I was told but its pure speculation at this point. I will add this though 77th fleet currently is an avg age of 10 years old so with that I'd say 2022-2023 we'll see some movement as far as #1000's getting the nod for retirement unless some decide to give out before then. 

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yeah that sounds about right, 

I don't think the retirements for the #1000's would start until after the rehabs start and the order for 500 additional buses begin to get delivered that's going off of a small hunch I was told but its pure speculation at this point. I will add this though 77th fleet currently is an avg age of 10 years old so with that I'd say 2022-2023 we'll see some movement as far as #1000's getting the nod for retirement unless some decide to give out before then. 

Hard to see something as tough as a 1000 giving out. Compared to how the 6400s ended up the 1000s either were built like the gorilla glue holding ol’ girls ponytail or cta’s reality check on deferred maintenance really made them keep these up better. Still ride like they did in My high school days lmao

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

Hard to see something as tough as a 1000 giving out. Compared to how the 6400s ended up the 1000s either were built like the gorilla glue holding ol’ girls ponytail or cta’s reality check on deferred maintenance really made them keep these up better. Still ride like they did in My high school days lmao

I think thw 10's air build like gorilla glue in old girl head 

2 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

Nova got the contract. Prototypes this fall and full production in 2022.

https://www.transitchicago.com/chicago-transit-board-approves-contract-to-purchase-new-clean-diesel-buses/

I guess Dorval Carter is a Nova fan.  Or maybe anti New Flyer?  Wil Proterra etc the electric contract?  Maybe we will see  Nova artics here in the future.

3 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

Nova got the contract. Prototypes this fall and full production in 2022.

https://www.transitchicago.com/chicago-transit-board-approves-contract-to-purchase-new-clean-diesel-buses/

Cta is going backwards. Pace is the future around here. So how many years will it take them to get the order? 

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

Well now that we know what we're getting all I ask for is for better braking systems and suspensions on this next batch of Novas because man.........?

I would add better a/c.

I would have loved to have seen Xcelsiors in the CTA fleet.  But CTA went with Novas because Pace doesn't have any and CTA doesn't like modern designs (see CTA TRains as evidence,).

1 minute ago, BusHunter said:

Cta is going backwards. Pace is the future around here. So how many years will it take them to get the order? 

Supposedly the contract was through 2026, but now that it has been delayed with the first buses coming in 2022, I think it could be extended to 2027. They were saying 100 buses per year before.

Just now, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Cta must love novas it appears. They love the 4th and current gen being made for some reason and it keeps winning. I think the fleet numbers will be 8350+ based on the fleet numbering of the previous numbering. It's still sad the current old Novas are getting closer to retiremennt.

Yea it is said & I agree I hope it aint no bouncy house or none of that