CTA 75th Anniversary Liveries and Events

NewFlyerMCI

On 6/29/2022 at 12:04 PM, Busjack said:

From the linked CTA web page. I'm not sure it works, but not as odd as the two 2000s painted as a SSRT car.

MSI_75th_wrapper_cars_1.jpg

Honestly this livery looks better than the plain silver ones, I actually didn't expect this wrap to come out. I'd love to see this train one time and enjoy riding it. I heard they adding some other wraps on trains on other lines too

On 6/30/2022 at 7:38 PM, artthouwill said:

The wraps look better than the Pace Heritage wraps.

The thing that makes it look better is that CTA didn't wrap the windows. I thought I saw a Nortran the other day, but it was 6567 with faux New Look windows. Imagine how ugly the CTA cars would look if they tried showing the windows, as  in this one on chicago-l.org:

cta6101-02.jpg

The mentioned mint green and alpine white wrap might look like a 2000.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Busjack said:

The thing that makes it look better is that CTA didn't wrap the windows. I thought I saw a Nortran the other day, but it was 6567 with faux New Look windows. Imagine how ugly the CTA cars would look if they tried showing the windows, as  in this one on chicago-l.org:

cta6101-02.jpg

The mentioned mint green and alpine white wrap might look like a 2000.

I was surprised when I saw a picture of the 2000s in the mint green and alpine white.   Obviously that was the original livery, but not the livery they were in on the Lake-Dan Ryan Line.   I guess CTA wanted to better match the 2000s with the 2200s at that time.  Then the 2099s were repainted with the Spirit of Chicago livery to match the 2600 series cars as they arrived and were coupled together on the North-South Main service. The wrap for the 1970s livery of the 2000s is going to be very interesting.  If they decide to do it, so will the bicentennial wrap.

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I was surprised when I saw a picture of the 2000s in the mint green and alpine white.   Obviously that was the original livery, but not the livery they were in on the Lake-Dan Ryan Line.   I guess CTA wanted to better match the 2000s with the 2200s at that time.  ...

When the Dan Ryan opened in 1969, the 2000s were still green and white. They were painted for the reason you said, but I would guess starting in about 1972.

On 7/8/2022 at 1:23 PM, chicagocubs6323 said:

The Museum of Science and Industry sponsored a wrap on a 4 car train of 5000 Series 'L' cars that resembles the old livery on the 1-50/6000-series cars from the 1950s.  This is being done as part of the CTA's 75th anniversary celebration.  

The YouTube starts with a set of 2400s. While the first 2 cars have work car decals, the last 4 have the original-looking livery. Another heritage effort?

20 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I was surprised when I saw a picture of the 2000s in the mint green and alpine white.   Obviously that was the original livery, but not the livery they were in on the Lake-Dan Ryan Line.   I guess CTA wanted to better match the 2000s with the 2200s at that time.  Then the 2099s were repainted with the Spirit of Chicago livery to match the 2600 series cars as they arrived and were coupled together on the North-South Main service. The wrap for the 1970s livery of the 2000s is going to be very interesting.  If they decide to do it, so will the bicentennial wrap.

Here's a Explanation:

Back in the early 80's the CTA restored the first Pullman built 2000, 2001-2002, to it's original Mint Green and Alpine White color scheme. Here the pair heads an eight car northbound rush hour train at Wellington in July 1982. Unfortunatly graffiti took it's toll on them and they were repainted into the standard paint scheme some years later.

From the original photo

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, dailycommuter62 said:

Not posted here yet the green/white scheme went onto a set of blue line 2600s

I was expecting this to look more like a 2000 (lower right), but the difference is the sculpted end cap on the 2000s.

The transitchicago page linked in the tweet said:

Throughout this year the public can participate in fun activities celebrating the amazing history of one of the world’s most iconic transit agencies. These activities will lead to a Diamond Jubilee Celebration in Daley Plaza, on October 1, 2022, where the public can ride around the Loop aboard CTA’s actual Heritage Fleet of vintage trains and buses.

I guess that the 2400s with the red, white and blue bands, instead of the red work car stripes, are part of that fleet or celebration.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

2867 2868 are wrapped in the alpine green and white livery.  Currently on the Blue Line.

I'm sorry for how this video turned out.   I was on car 2868. But when I exited the train to take video,  that's when I noticed 2849/50.  SO I shot video. Not realizing that turning my phone sideways was going to make the video sideways.   Because I had limited memory left on my phone. The last part that actually showed 2968/67 cut out.  When I tried to take another video from street level,  the phone was out of memory space.

As an aside,  one of the tracks on the row that runs besides the Blue Line from Central to past Circle is gone.  There's only one track left.plus the side track west of Harlem.

This is from the inside of 2868.

20220818_150114.jpg

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The Spirit of Chicago livery.   Very nice, but graffiti artists tagged this livery so badly CTA decided to go with mo paint atall

Ya I remember this "Issue" back in the 90's at Howard Yard daily and then the great paint removal of the 2600's started with their rehabs lol

Would still be nice to do a 75th ann wrap in this scheme though

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2022 at 6:19 PM, chitowndude84 said:

Ya I remember this "Issue" back in the 90's at Howard Yard daily and then the great paint removal of the 2600's started with their rehabs lol

Would still be nice to do a 75th ann wrap in this scheme though

I agree with you and it’s only right they use the 2600’s for that classic paint scheme.

• Upvote 1