6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

sw4400

1 hour ago, andrethebusman said:

I will assume the 801 and four L cars to Paramount are to be movie props. Funny how CTA had such poor results with 40-foot hybrids, yet no apparent issues with hybrid artics??

I have the feeling that the terms of the "one year experiment" on the 800s and 900s provided an excuse for not maintaining them. On the other hand, the facts that 4000-4149 are on 12 year leases, and 4150-4207 were on federal TIGER grants, and thus subject to the FTA 12 year service life requirement, have the opposite effect. Note that the midlife rehab of them has already been advertised for bid.

1 hour ago, andrethebusman said:

The 500's are worn-out junk. I am surprised they were able to unload the few to Kankakee. Notice no others have gone anywhere. If they had been shipped out, they would have been on this list.

I noted in the River Valley thread the CTA ordinance saying they were also going to Springfield, Shawnee, and RIDES MTDs. There were 45 buses, so if you take the 5 to River Valley in 2015, and the 24 to Sims on the 2016 sheet,  you are 16 short. There were 2 sold to the Cook County Sheriff, and maybe those and the ones mentioned in the ordinance to other than RVMTD were effected in 2014.

On 1/30/2017 at 6:34 PM, BusHunter said:

Interesting #801 went to Paramount studios. I guess we'll be seeing that bus in the movies soon. Interesting it being a hybrid and all, but maybe there's the outside chance that's being used for some type of shuttle?

You would think that some of these electric bus retrofit companies would be out to get it, because they could make money on it, but maybe there's the issue that the title is designated as scrap or junk, but if retrofitted they might still be able to jump that potential hurdle.

Well the upcoming Transformers 5 movie will once again feature Chicago in the overall Transformers movie plot lines, and that movie franchise is produced in part by Paramount Studios. So it's quite possible that 801 and the 2200s were purchased by Paramount for use as movie props for that movie. There have been magazine and YouTube clips that showed advance photos from filming sessions for that movie confirming that hypothesis when it comes to the purchased 2200s. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, CTA5750 said:

Saw this today at a city fuel site off of 35th st. Got to look inside. It is #6539  There was a second bus. Didnt see that one up close.  

IMG_6771.JPG

IMG_6772.JPG

IMG_6773.JPG

#6728 is the other one. I wonder why the company is called growing power but the bus is called fresh moves. Thanks for the pics at least we get to see what they look like. :)

9 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

#6728 is the other one. I wonder why the company is called growing power but the bus is called fresh moves. Thanks for the pics at least we get to see what they look like. :)

I was more wondering why it had sweetgreen, which seems to be a fixed market. Maybe a sponsor.

Growing Power is the Milwaukee nonprofit that apparently runs the program, and as was noted at the time, supplies the food. They have several urban farms, including in Chicago. They must be using the old Fresh Moves trademark (as indicated by this page on their site, although it refers to the buses in 2012).

Apparently the driver wasant aware that the fueling connection wasant compatible with the pumps at the fuel site. I had to get out and explain that he would have to go to CTA and speak with them about it.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

When I was at the Taste of Chicago earlier, I've stumbled upon a very special CTA community bus, which is actually a Nova #6472. But for this one, it had a few refurbishments such as interior lighting, internal speakers, flooring, two TVs on each side and charging stations. Plus, some friendly and happy customers were onboard as well! :D

28 minutes ago, Johnny 5 said:

When I was at the Taste of Chicago earlier, I've stumbled upon a very special CTA community bus, which is actually a Nova #6472. But for this one, it had a few refurbishments such as interior lighting, internal speakers, flooring, two TVs on each side and charging stations. Plus, some friendly and happy customers were onboard as well! :D

Sounds interesting. Too bad someone didn't get any interior pics. ;) Sounds sort of similar to the Ventra #500 bus, which had a TV and a few revisions. I believe the back half was made to look like a customer service desk area. Should be photos on Facebook or somewhere, possibly linked here.

• Kevin unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
3 hours ago, rotjohns said:

Was downtown for an event and came across #6579 on route #56.  It sounded pretty good from the outside.  I hadn't seen very many 6400 Novas around in recent months so I was surprised to see this one.  

I see them quite frequently on routes out of Forest Glen, such as the #152 and #92. Just wanted to ask, how many of them are still in service?

4 hours ago, rotjohns said:

Was downtown for an event and came across #6579 on route #56.  It sounded pretty good from the outside.  I hadn't seen very many 6400 Novas around in recent months so I was surprised to see this one.  

They tend to be assigned more to the neighborhood routes of FG, while the 56 seems to see more the FG assigned NF 1000 series and newer generation 7900 series buses. 

1 hour ago, Anthony Devera said:

I see them quite frequently on routes out of Forest Glen, such as the #152 and #92. Just wanted to ask, how many of them are still in service?

About 100 were left at the last official counts off RTA's fleet count lists accounting for current equipment at CTA, Metra and Pace. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, qwantae said:

I remember rode that many times on 79th.  I'm surprised that few Former 77th Novas are still alive. 

Yeah but they look tired. They are 17 year old buses. That brings back flashbacks of chicago garage when they had some of the last #5300"s. No rehab was given to those either.  It's really amazing the buses are still running. Probably everything imaginal has been replaced at least once.

• 2 weeks later...