More Bus Moves

sw4400

I don't think that this has been posted here...

UIC Halsted stationhouse at Peoria St reopened on Aug 31. Looks like elevator is going to take a while. 

No sign of construction at IMD which was supposedly going to be rebuilt this year with an elevator. 

The train tracker signs that were put up on the Forest Park branch platforms in the spring have yet to be turned on.

cta6338.jpg

#6338 heads a NB Jackson Park-Howard through the Illinois Central bridge at 63rd St. and Dorchester.  #6338 shows many of the details of this series including the curved side doors, the simplified paint scheme, the "paddle" trolley shoes and sleet devices. Inside, this series through #6470 was the only cars that had separate conductor cabs at the opposite end of the motormens' cabs.  CTA Photo.

Edited by chicagopcclcar
Photo info.
  • Upvote 2

Story that a Blue Line train was running with its doors open.

Since I was trying to find a version from somewhere not behind the paywall, this is the second incident this year. Note the usual spokesfiend trying to blame the passengers, but also the statement at the end "Regardless of how the door was opened, a CTA spokesperson says there are safety mechanisms that should have kept the train from running and an alert should have gone off to warn the conductor [sic] about the problem."

Another case of safety equipment on 2600s going haywire, and that the complaints about using them are valid? That seems implied in the most recent story.

[image snipped to save bandwidth and potential copyright infringement claim :ph34r: - my photos are Creative Commons - Share Alike B|]

O.K.! The link for the first photo is https://chuckmanchicagonostalgia.wordpress.com/2015/08/26/photo-chicago-new-cta-rapid-transit-cars-long-train-1950/.  Sorry about that! 

Talking about "Random CTA", remember that Green Line derailment at 63rd & Calumet a few weeks back? Well I found another derailment at that same spot that was way worse than that one; it happened in 1960. The link I found it on is:

http://www.theseamericans.com/press/train-collection-l-train-derails-1960/

That these americans W-WW page had a very interesting link off to its right. 8) I met Marilyn Chambers at Cinema Wasteland in Cleveland about a year before she died. Yes, I have a few of her movies too, including ones with imagery which has been snipped from its most recent release.

Edited by pudgym29
formatting

I could tell you Spider tales, Garmon, boy could I..... a few years back, the Damen Brown Line stop was absolutely littered with them. Hanging all over the station awnings, on the lights(I kid you not, there were rows of egg sacs and a almost unbreakable line of Orb Spiders stretched across the length of those lights guarding the sacs. I thought I found a Spider Military Stronghold!!! :o

But this year, my store has been hit hard.... you would never guess how many total are on the outside awnings..... 55!!! That's right..... 55!!!!! Hanging on the awnings, on the window ledges. It's enough to make an arachnophobiac scream.

54 Orb Weaver Spiders(varying sizes from penny-size to quarter-size) and 1 Grass Funnel Web Spider(about the size of a quarter)

Orb Spider.jpg

Grass Funnel Web Spider.jpg

• Upvote 1

I could tell you Spider tales, Garmon, boy could I..... a few years back, the Damen Brown Line stop was absolutely littered with them. Hanging all over the station awnings, on the lights(I kid you not, there were rows of egg sacs and a almost unbreakable line of Orb Spiders stretched across the length of those lights guarding the sacs. I thought I found a Spider Military Stronghold!!! :o

But this year, my store has been hit hard.... you would never guess how many total are on the outside awnings..... 55!!! That's right..... 55!!!!! Hanging on the awnings, on the window ledges. It's enough to make an arachnophobiac scream.

54 Orb Weaver Spiders(varying sizes from penny-size to quarter-size) and 1 Grass Funnel Web Spider(about the size of a quarter)

Orb Spider.jpg

Jesus Christ!!!! 55?????

• Upvote 1

Story that a Blue Line train was running with its doors open.

Since I was trying to find a version from somewhere not behind the paywall, this is the second incident this year. Note the usual spokesfiend trying to blame the passengers, but also the statement at the end "Regardless of how the door was opened, a CTA spokesperson says there are safety mechanisms that should have kept the train from running and an alert should have gone off to warn the conductor [sic] about the problem."

Another case of safety equipment on 2600s going haywire, and that the complaints about using them are valid? That seems implied in the most recent story.

Best part about it was reports of other doors closing slowly in the same consist. This reminds me of the buses. you will have a hard time finding a #6400 with a fully working interlock. Buses can just pull away with passengers still on them. The #2600 doors have been fixed so many times just like these interlocks probably some of safety mechanisms have worn away or haven't been replaced properly as per the work duties. It's not safe and one day it will bite them. Just hopefully that doesn't happen in the rush when the train is packed. This was a close call!!

O'Hare 2400s?! Those don't run anymore, CTA! Especially on the blue line!

bEaMMvI.jpg

Must be a screwup, since TrainTracker usually reports on the basis of run numbers, not vehicle numbers. In fact, is is questionable that run numbers are not shown for the next two trains. Is it a problem with the app, since this sure does not look like the format of the website?

Must be a screwup, since TrainTracker usually reports on the basis of run numbers, not vehicle numbers. In fact, is is questionable that run numbers are not shown for the next two trains. Is it a problem with the app, since this sure does not look like the format of the website?

it showed "(2400)" on the display at the station too. The funny thing is the 2400 special train never even ran on the blue line.

Orb Spider.jpg

Oh yes sw. I remember those stories you shared about the spiders you encountered on the Brown Line. 

• Upvote 1

It looks as if NorthPark gained a few NFs from Chicago Avenue overnight.   Maths22's Tracker shows 1761 (it's back!) on Devon & 1823 on Lincoln.  I'm guessing that 1810, 1812,  & 1816 may have migrated too.

Also:  6821 is operating on Division  as I type.   It's unusual to see an old Nova filling a C run on a weekend day.  Yep,  they're still there.

Edited by wordguy
  • Upvote 1