More Bus Moves

sw4400

I was hoping for those 2008 Models (Latest NF latest 1900/ 2000 series) would go to FG after Chicago Avenue gets all 100 of New Novas.  

At this point, it really doesn't matter because Forest Glen is required to have them after retiring some 6400 Novas. Otherwise, severe consequences will be initiated in which I don't know what can happen about that.

It sounds like #2021 is Kedzie's as C wouldn't run a bus that far west. Anyway C has been dropping a few buses here and there. I don't know why those #1000 garages though would get surpluses. If as Busjack says, a rehabbed bus is a new bus then wouldn't the same belt tightening rules on the fleet exist for those garages too?

It sounds like #2021 is Kedzie's as C wouldn't run a bus that far west. Anyway C has been dropping a few buses here and there. I don't know why those #1000 garages though would get surpluses. If as Busjack says, a rehabbed bus is a new bus then wouldn't the same belt tightening rules on the fleet exist for those garages too?

I got that impression from Andre saying that basically all garages but 74th and 77th were way over rated capacity. We know that 103 has enough yard space (having stored 50 dead NABIs), but I doubt that the others do.

This might be like when 74th finally got 1000s after the minimal allocation of 30--several garages chipped in at once.

I got that impression from Andre saying that basically all garages but 74th and 77th were way over rated capacity. We know that 103 has enough yard space (having stored 50 dead NABIs), but I doubt that the others do.

This might be like when 74th finally got 1000s after the minimal allocation of 30--several garages chipped in at once.

Well Fg has to be overstocked. That place is the rolling junkyard of buses. :P But I still say the #X9 and #X49 is playing in here somewhere. There's a thought I had of those running out of 77th as they have been doing all the gaining lately, but they still will most likely be 74th as that's where the press conference was. Your probably right about Fg not getting #1000's until the very end. They don't seem to be getting anything while #6400's still exist. If they were to retire alot of #6400's before next may when the #8200's show up then Fg has a chance at some #1000's. I think it all depends on the winter. If the buses play out in the bad weather, it may just put the pressure on them to give fg some rehab buses ahead of next may. Because then they will be messing with service and it will cast a stain on them not to do something. I tell you that's the only way they will get some #1000's at FG unfortunately.

... Your probably right about Fg not getting #1000's until the very end.....

I didn't say that. I'm not working for the executive vice president of bus operations, but my reference to what happened at 74th would indicate the opposite--suddenly, very suddenly, 3 garages transfer buses to FG.

If FG is really a rolling junkyard, I can't see them trying to get through another winter like that, unless the executive vice president of bus operations is really nuts.

Well Fg has to be overstocked. That place is the rolling junkyard of buses. :P But I still say the #X9 and #X49 is playing in here somewhere. There's a thought I had of those running out of 77th as they have been doing all the gaining lately, but they still will most likely be 74th as that's where the press conference was. Your probably right about Fg not getting #1000's until the very end. They don't seem to be getting anything while #6400's still exist. If they were to retire alot of #6400's before next may when the #8200's show up then Fg has a chance at some #1000's. I think it all depends on the winter. If the buses play out in the bad weather, it may just put the pressure on them to give fg some rehab buses ahead of next may. Because then they will be messing with service and it will cast a stain on them not to do something. I tell you that's the only way they will get some #1000's at FG unfortunately.

If I had to breakdown the fleet of buses at FG percentage-wise(269 buses):

• 35% are fully operational(94 buses)
  • 15% are operable enough to work routes(minor defects/annoyances)(40 buses)
  • 20% are in need of some minor repairs to make them operable on routes again(54 buses)
  • 30% are in need of major work to be operable again or are just occupying space until a wrecker hauls them off to South Shops for scrap assignment.(81 buses)

***Edit on number of fully operable buses...***

If I had to breakdown the fleet of buses at FG percentage-wise(269 buses):....

• 30% are in need of major work to be operable again or are just occupying space until a wrecker hauls them off to South Shops for scrap assignment.(81 buses)

There's always the question how many have Xs on them, but again, scrap is the only rational disposition.

I had originally found a Tribune article for the 2004 one, but then used terms in it to find the 2001 one, so I only posted the link to the latter.

CTA's safety culture never has been and still is not good. One would have thought someone would have learned to obey cab signals from the 1977 wreck at Wabash and Lake, but then there were these two. The one at O'Hare was somewhat different, but not much.

I still can't figure out why red does not mean stay stopped, instead of that the train physically can go 6 mph.

At least red over red means stop & stay.

Maybe once the feds get the Class 1s to all have positive train control, they'll force the CTA & WMATA to get it, as both have incompetent or even non-existent safety cultures.

Maybe once the feds get the Class 1s to all have positive train control, they'll force the CTA & WMATA to get it, as both have incompetent or even non-existent safety cultures.

The red over red is only a visual signal to prevent a collision or derailment at a junction. Didn't prevent two at Granville.

Positive train control is fairly irrelevant here, as the cars have cab signals. All it would add is gps, which can't be used in a subway, since the antenna doesn't see the satellite.The main impetus for positive train control was engineers ignoring gantry signals (such as the two Metra crashes at 47th). It might have slowed the Metro North train from doing double the speed limit on a curve, but, again, fairly irrelevant to letting an operator reset at a red cab signal and then go up to 6 mph.

I didn't say that. I'm not working for the executive vice president of bus operations, but my reference to what happened at 74th would indicate the opposite--suddenly, very suddenly, 3 garages transfer buses to FG.

If FG is really a rolling junkyard, I can't see them trying to get through another winter like that, unless the executive vice president of bus operations is really nuts.

i don't know if buses will suddenly fall out of these garages headed for fg They haven't so far so you might not want to know if they are nuts or not. I guess if they attempt to go through the winter as they are you will get your answer.

If I had to breakdown the fleet of buses at FG percentage-wise(269 buses):

• 35% are fully operational(129 buses)
  • 15% are operable enough to work routes(minor defects/annoyances)(40 buses)
  • 20% are in need of some minor repairs to make them operable on routes again(54 buses)

Your four categories actually add up to 304 buses,  SW. 

FG may actually have the room to store 81 out-of-service units,  but probably only if they're lined up end-to-end.   (That's the way trolley-buses were once stored in the Elston yard between runs and overnight.   In the late '60s,  the economic use of space allowed for the assignment of 120 trolley coaches in addition to over 200 propanes).   

If just the first two categories of buses are operable,  then only 169 would be available for peak service.   Adding in the 20% needing minor repairs would bring the available roster up to 223,   maybe just enough to fill peak period runs,  but with little or nothing to spare.

It looks to me as if FG  should really be getting a major infusion of NFs before winter, ---ideally---  even if it means the return of some old Novas to Chicago Ave. &  74th,  and maybe even <gasp>   77th(???).   Then the surviving 6400s could all be limited to school and tripper runs.   (Just like the relief given to a nearly all-Flxible 74th St.  a few years back,   as described by Busjack yesterday).    At least that would seem like the most sensible solution.

Edited by wordguy
  • Upvote 1

Actually FG seems to be filling the schedule just fine, including the dozen 97X's. Haven't seen any loaners in a couple of weeks. I would say the out of service list is closer to 20 than 80. Most failures are relatively minor and a day or two later they are back on the road. After the 20-odd were "x"ed and hauled off about a month ago, not too many have departed. The only "long term dead" are the currently two along the north fence. The ones across the street in the old taxi lot at the east end of Armstrong come back to life pretty quick. These maintenance guys are really good at keeping these old rigs running.

Edited by andrethebusman
  • Upvote 1

Your four categories actually add up to 304 buses,  SW. 

FG may actually have the room to store 81 out-of-service units,  but probably only if they're lined up end-to-end.   (That's the way trolley-buses were once stored in the Elston yard between runs and overnight.   In the late '60s,  the economic use of space allowed for the assignment of 120 trolley coaches in addition to over 200 propanes).   

If just the first two categories of buses are operable,  then only 169 would be available for peak service.   Adding in the 20% needing minor repairs would bring the available roster up to 223,   maybe just enough to fill peak period runs,  but with little or nothing to spare.

It looks to me as if FG  should really be getting a major infusion of NFs before winter, ---ideally---  even if it means the return of some old Novas to Chicago Ave. &  74th,  and maybe even <gasp>   77th(???).   Then the surviving 6400s could all be limited to school and tripper runs.   (Just like the relief given to a nearly all-Flxible 74th St.  a few years back,   as described by Busjack yesterday).    At least that would seem like the most sensible solution.

I actually tweaked the first categories' total after adding the four figures up. It's actually 94 buses now. Category 1 and 2 are the basic operable number, category 3 is a floating figure as buses temporarily may be shelved for minor issues that may take a few hours/days to rectify. Figure 4 is the number of buses that are pretty much done with major repairs required(dead motors, transmission failure, or something other major wrong with the bus which requires too much capital and manpower to repair on a bus that will probably be retired in the next 12 months or less).

Going back to historical railroad practices, the red aspect could actually mean not stopping.... but controlling your train speed so you could stop short of a train or obstruction ahead. Red over red aspect always means STOP. Talking to current operators or listening-in on radio transmissions, you will realize that safety indeed has a new priority in rail.

I'll leave the rest of this alone. 

• Upvote 1

I'm going to be nice and not show this douche's license plate, but he/she was impeding the #152 Addison bus(#6722) from moving after picking up passengers @ Paulina. The driver honked at the car, but the motorist sat there and eventually moved a few inches before stopping, forcing the driver to move towards him/her again and blow the horn several more times. The car did the same thing despite a green light several more times before I took a photo of it and the driver took down the license plate. I was thinking about turning in the photo, but I don't know what would come of it or who/where to turn it in to, and if I'd have to take time off work to go to court to make sure he/she gets the citation well-earned(which isn't worth the time to not be paid to go to court for a day). But what will happen now that the driver took this jerk's license number?

Idiot Blocking Addison & Paulina EB Stop Plates Blocked.jpg

I'm going to be nice and not show this douche's license plate, but he/she was impeding the #152 Addison bus(#6722) from moving after picking up passengers @ Paulina. The driver honked at the car, but the motorist sat there and eventually moved a few inches before stopping, forcing the driver to move towards him/her again and blow the horn several more times. The car did the same thing despite a green light several more times before I took a photo of it and the driver took down the license plate. I was thinking about turning in the photo, but I don't know what would come of it or who/where to turn it in to, and if I'd have to take time off work to go to court to make sure he/she gets the citation well-earned(which isn't worth the time to not be paid to go to court for a day). But what will happen now that the driver took this jerk's license number?

Idiot Blocking Addison & Paulina EB Stop Plates Blocked.jpg

At my school district, when school bus drivers report a violation by filling out a form with the plate number, vehicle and driver description and the circumstances. They give the form to their supervisor who sends it to the police, who then mail a ticket to the vehicle owner which they can dispute in court.

I don't know CTA's official policy, but I would bet it is very similar.

I also don't know how much the fine is, but it will usually be dropped just by showing up in court since the car owner can argue that he/she wasn't the one driving it at the time.

Keeping an eye on #2021 because it's on #12 but it's going all the way to Central/Harrison not Roosevelt/Kedzie in which I find that very surprising.

Well 2021 isn't necessarily Kedzie's as when I took that photo of 8119 on the #12, it was signed for Central/Harrison and not Roosevelt/Kedzie as I was expecting. And it had a C run number. So maybe C is doing a few full WB trips when it does those AM rush runs on the 12.

• Upvote 1

Well 2021 isn't necessarily Kedzie's as when I took that photo of 8119 on the #12, it was signed for Central/Harrison and not Roosevelt/Kedzie as I was expecting. And it had a C run number. So maybe C is doing a few full WB trips when it does those AM rush runs on the 12.

You are correct - in addition to the five runs that pull out to Pulaski, go to Indiana, back to Kedzie and into 66 service, there are now three than only work Roosevelt. 5206 pulls out to Central, goes to Indiana, back to Central, back to Indiana, to Pulaski and to garage; 5207 Pulls out to  Pulaski, goes to Indiana, to Central, to Indiana, to Pulaski to garage, and 5143 pulls out to Central, to Indiana, to Pulaski to garage. This is new this pick. This appears to be the result of a need to reduce the number of buses at Kedzie, where much of the employee lot is now bus storage overnight, and almost a dozen sitting out front.

Edited by andrethebusman
  • Upvote 2

Airport express? I thought that died under Daley.

New airport commissioner.

Nothing ever dies, nor gets built ... unless there is federal money. Carter also said that he and Rahm know their way around Washington, but we sure haven't seen any result from that.

Anyway, the web link.

• Upvote 3