More Bus Moves

sw4400

The issue seems more that the operator didn't know how regenerative braking works. There were posts in the early days of 5000s on the Red Line that trains were stopping short of the platform, but you would have thought they would have figured it out by now.

Unless the operator in question was a transfer from either the Orange, Brown or Blue Lines which don't have 5000-series cars. Didn't a new pick for the rail lines just start last Sunday? My other thought (and my original thought) was going to be that this a new rail operator to the system as a whole. But I remembered that the new rail pick started last weekend and settled on the possibility of the operator being a transfer from one of the three lines that's still using older DC powered rail cars.

Unless the operator in question was a transfer from either the Orange, Brown or Blue Lines which don't have 5000-series cars. Didn't a new pick for the rail lines just start last Sunday? My other thought (and my original thought) was going to be that this a new rail operator to the system as a whole. But I remembered that the new rail pick started last weekend and settled on the possibility of the operator being a transfer from one of the three lines that's still using older DC powered rail cars.

If that's the case, maybe they got some 5000 drivers for Orange and they can transfer those cars back

Well service on the north LSD express routes was a mess this morning. There's some kind of construction work that's supposed to be occurring on the Drive starting near the North Ave ramps to about Chicago Ave reducing traffic lanes on the express Drive in that area to two per direction from what I understand. Actual lane reductions wasn't supposed to happen till Monday. Yet some genius decided to close off two of the SB lanes yesterday from what I overheard a lady also riding the 148 bus I was on this morning telling her coworker. At any rate, SB traffic on the Outer Drive was just crawling along at a snail's pace and buses on the 130s and 140s were running into big delays. It was bad enough that a few of the 147s returning north were short turning at Devon in the 10 and 11 am hours, and some SB 146 buses doing the usual midday Wilson short turns appeared to be hopping on the Drive at Wilson and shooting directly to downtown all in efforts to get back on track. The buses normally turn around somewhere near Wilson and come back on Marine for SB service. They even appeared to pull out some extra 40 foot buses to cover portions of 146 and 147 that came under the effects of the delays caused by so many SB buses getting stuck on LSD during the morning rush period.

Cool shot of the Roosevelt Crossover.

From the north end of Roosevelt platform to the southern end including the portal leading up to the elevated, the subway tubes and structures were constructed by open cut method in 1939-1943.  Railroad yards and warehouses were next to S. State St. along the site. 12th St. was on a viaduct crossing State. Since the open-cut dug out State St. streetcar tracks had to be removed to the side. All the junctions include in the two subways built were designed to be "flying junctions" except the temporary crossover in the Dearborn subway at La Salle until the West Side Connection is finished. In the State St. subway, the flying junction intended as an extension to a planned Archer subway sit for almost fifty years, unused.  Then in the 1993, the junction was put in service, not to Archer Ave. but to the Dan Ryan median route. During those fifty years, the stub track was used only for emergencies although motormen were taught the signals that meant a lineup into the stub was activated.  

• Upvote 4

This really threw my head for a spin...saw a 4-car of 2600s in the loop today with white-white class lights and figured it was just an out of service transfer. As it got closer, though, I noticed that all the cars had Purple "Loop" signs so I was really confused, because it's 9:00pm so there shouldn't be any purple lines especially not 2600s! When it stopped though, the driver announced that it was an Orange line train to Midway and it announced a 700 run number when it left, so I have no clue what the deal was.

AWzIGod.jpg

Turns out Orange and Purple are on the same roll, according to this video.

Express through loop? Hah, good luck doing that going the other direction. :P "This train will run express to <blah> *waits 10 minutes for signal clearance*"

I don't even know how that would work. O.o That would take some massive coordination between train operators of all the lines on the inner loop track.

Express through loop? Hah, good luck doing that going the other direction. :P "This train will run express to <blah> *waits 10 minutes for signal clearance*"

The caption is obviously wrong, as at the end of the video, the train stops at Adams and Wabash.The only thing the video demonstrates is that the Yellow Line has been moved onto the Red/Orange/Purple/Brown roll, and I believe a couple of Red destinations were deleted. This also doesn't reflect the Red Ashland/63 reading, but that was probably limited to cars actually running on the Red Line.

Okay so I discovered something weird in the past couple weeks of riding on the Brown Line during rush hour. Usually every day in the morning the driver ends up getting an ATC penalty at some point for not applying the brakes fast enough, presumably because the speed drops so often (signal clearance, etc.). I've noticed some drivers doing something weird though that seems to reset the penalty so they don't have to stop all the way. They do something in the cab that makes the beeping stop and lets them take power, but it also causes the signs to move down one sign and then back up. On the LED signs they just appear to flash once. Is this some quirk with the electrical systems on the 3200s or something that drivers are abusing to reset the ATC? O.o

Edited by briman94

Okay so I discovered something weird in the past couple weeks of riding on the Brown Line during rush hour. Usually every day in the morning the driver ends up getting an ATC penalty at some point for not applying the brakes fast enough, presumably because the speed drops so often (signal clearance, etc.). I've noticed some drivers doing something weird though that seems to reset the penalty so they don't have to stop all the way. They do something in the cab that makes the beeping stop and lets them take power, but it also causes the signs to move down one sign and then back up. On the LED signs they just appear to flash once. Is this some quirk with the electrical systems on the 3200s or something that drivers are abusing to reset the ATC? O.o

Not sure why those two systems would interact that way when they should be unrelated. I would think the only way to "abuse" the ATC system would be to inappropriately put the train into bypass mode. And the CTA apparently has a way to catch those who do that, according to a statement made on a Snowflake Special.

Not sure why those two systems would interact that way when they should be unrelated. I would think the only way to "abuse" the ATC system would be to inappropriately put the train into bypass mode. And the CTA apparently has a way to catch those who do that, according to a statement made on a Snowflake Special.

I know, it seems really weird to me too. But it's happened at least a half dozen times in the last month. Driver goes overspeed, beeper sounds, driver doesn't brake soon enough, brakes apply automatically and beeper keeps sounding, driver does something that resets the beeper and allows them to take power without stopping first but the signs move down one and back up.

This is why you don't do drugs, kids....

"Stupid is as stupid does...."

Height of stupidity. 

Is someone going to mess with someone on #44?

This level of stupidity is no longer route specific or endemic to any set part of town, sad to say for the city as a whole. The crazies pretty much have also become more likely on routes that pass through extended bar districts and other venues that serve a lot of alcohol. So that brings to mind 8, 22, 36, 70, 77, and 152 to see potential nutty begavior for example when it comes to Rush Street, Boystown, Wrigleyville, the extended stretch of bars on North Halsted starting near North Avenue on up to the ones in Boystown, and few popular bars dotting Clark Street in Andersonville, West Rogers Pk and the south part of Rogers Park that cater to both straight and gay crowds. 

• Upvote 2

Height of stupidity. 

This level of stupidity is no longer route specific or endemic to any set part of town, sad to say for the city as a whole. The crazies pretty much have also become more likely on routes that pass through extended bar districts and other venues that serve a lot of alcohol. So that brings to mind 8, 22, 36, 70, 77, and 152 to see potential nutty begavior for example when it comes to Rush Street, Boystown, Wrigleyville, the extended stretch of bars on North Halsted starting near North Avenue on up to the ones in Boystown, and few popular bars dotting Clark Street in Andersonville, West Rogers Pk and the south part of Rogers Park that cater to both straight and gay crowds. 

In other words, stupid knows no bounds. It's true!

• Upvote 1