More Bus Moves

sw4400

It looks as if NorthPark gained a few NFs from Chicago Avenue overnight.   Maths22's Tracker shows 1761 (it's back!) on Devon & 1823 on Lincoln.  I'm guessing that 1810, 1812,  & 1816 may have migrated too.

Also:  6821 is operating on Division  as I type.   It's unusual to see an old Nova filling a C run on a weekend day.  Yep,  they're still there.

And chicago loses more buses with no replacement. Service over on the NW side was poor this afternoon. #6684 had a low air defect, and then I came across #6688 jumping buses at the terminal for a repeated dying motor. Man they are really leaving them with the crap buses with no relief in sight.

Edited by BusHunter

And chicago loses more buses with no replacement. Service over on the NW side was poor this afternoon. #6684 had a low air defect, and then I came across #6688 jumping buses at the terminal for a repeated dying motor. Man they are really leaving them with the crap buses with no relief in sight.

Chicago just got 50 buses. The mystery is why any 6400s are still there.

Andre reported over the weekend in the 7900s thread that 8150-8199 are due next month. Maybe some small miracle will start happening then. Long shot yeah given the past almost two years of CTA trying to make sure FG stays stocked with 6400s only but one can hope, since we know that with CTA going to get up to 8324 that FG wull definitely get some other bus model for sure by then.

Chicago just got 50 buses. The mystery is why any 6400s are still there.

To add on to BH's response to that, those 50 buses displaced mainly NFs at Chicago so far and not very many 6400s like the Smart Buses did at 74th. And those NFs became part of NF trades with other garages. So an extension of your question would be why not all that many 6400s if any got knocked out the overall roster this time. 

To add on to BH's response to that, those 50 buses displaced mainly NFs at Chicago so far and not very many 6400s like the Smart Buses did at 74th. And those NFs became part of NF trades with other garages. So an extension of your question would be why not all that many 6400s if any got knocked out the overall roster this time. 

But, as I noted earlier, unless there was some big service expansion out of 77th, there doesn't seem to be a point to bloating the fleet. Nobody has demonstrated that CTA is doing something like Pace, where a bunch of 6400s went to NW because NW had to give up 2700s for 465 and 895, even though today's events muddy any guess about Pace's intentions.

But, as I noted earlier, unless there was some big service expansion out of 77th, there doesn't seem to be a point to bloating the fleet. Nobody has demonstrated that CTA is doing something like Pace, where a bunch of 6400s went to NW because NW had to give up 2700s for 465 and 895, even though today's events muddy any guess about Pace's intentions.

77th has  a few runs extra  on the #3, #4, #8 and #79 in the fall. I don't know if that equals a big expansion. 

You're right that there doesn't seem to be point in bloating the fleet, but no one has reported further 6400s dropping off the roster quite yet. I'm merely pointing out that observation. With Andre mentioning that the next 50 buses that are almost certainly going to Chicago are due by next month, I'm sure any delays in 6400s being retired is only temporary. Plus just because very few were reported retired with the delivery of 8100-8149, it doesn't necessarily mean that an extra 50 buses are actually all being used. I rechecked the latest updates to the garage rosters, and BH has only eight 6400s not seen for two and a half weeks though none officially retired yet since the delivery of 8100-8149.

I remember saw 6821 around a early morning rush a week and half ago on North Ave & Wells working Armitage run while I was leaving Starbucks at that corner.  

#1352 is on #9. #1342 and #1368 are on #49. #1065 and #1075 are on #53. #1148 is on #57 (What the hell.....). #1059 is on #63 (from 77th). #1013 and #1121 are on #74. #6848 is on #78. #6846 and #6850 are on #80. #6844 is on #81. #6853 and #6863 are on #85.

Seems that 2006 Models 1000 NFs are scattered all over the city from 3-4 Garages.  

I'm pulling back up BusHunter's news documents from the 2013 Oak St. Curve accident involving a Brown and Purple Line train collision because I noticed something particularly interesting. They said two CTA buses transported injured people in addition to the ambulances. If you pause the video at 20:10, there's a M.A.N Americana is relatively good looking condition(retired in 2004). Did they use 2 M.A.N Americanas or 1 Americana and 1 retired TMC or Flxible Metro for transport buses? Anyone by chance know?

I'm pulling back up BusHunter's news documents from the 2013 Oak St. Curve accident involving a Brown and Purple Line train collision because I noticed something particularly interesting. They said two CTA buses transported injured people in addition to the ambulances. If you pause the video at 20:10, there's a M.A.N Americana is relatively good looking condition(retired in 2004). Did they use 2 M.A.N Americanas or 1 Americana and 1 retired TMC or Flxible Metro for transport buses? Anyone by chance know?

Are you sure this accident is from 2013 and not 2003? BH could have made a typo if he mentioned a year. Look at how much younger the Channel 7 reporters look in the video. Chuck Goudie's hair was as white in 2013 as it is today in 2015. His hair is darker in the video and appears in early stages of transitioning to gray. And also look at who was CTA President at the time. That's your biggest clue that this can't be 2013. Our old pal Claypool was CTA President in 2013 and not Mosena. Mosena was long gone from the CTA President post by then. So you definitely got the years mixed up somewhere. No CTA Americanas even existed in 2013 except possibly the one that was turned into an ironworkers' vehicle if I remember someone saying correctly and that Americana was in no condition to transport anyone in any kind of emergency passenger capacity from what I remember of pictures of it. It had no longer had passenger windows for one thing as the windows had been covered over by sheet metal. Plus its frame body frame was showing noticeable signs of rust. But your other big clue is the freeze frame thumbnail from the beginning of the video. By 2013 the 2400s no longer had the red, white and blue stripe on the side or the red and blue endcaps on the cars.

• Upvote 1

Are you sure this accident is from 2013 and not 2003? BH could have made a typo if he mentioned a year. Look at how much younger the Channel 7 reporters look in the video. Chuck Goudie's hair was as white in 2013 as it is today in 2015. His hair is darker in the video and appears in early stages of transitioning to gray. And also look at who was CTA President at the time. That's your biggest clue that this can't be 2013. Our old pal Claypool was CTA President in 2013 and not Mosena. Mosena was long gone from the CTA President post by then. So you definitely got the years mixed up somewhere. No CTA Americanas even existed in 2013 except possibly the one that was turned into an ironworkers' vehicle if I remember someone saying correctly and that Americana was in no condition to transport anyone in any kind of emergency passenger capacity from what I remember of pictures of it. It had no longer had passenger windows for one thing as the windows had been covered over by sheet metal. Plus its frame body frame was showing noticeable signs of rust.

Not to mention the thumbnail for the video shows a 2400 with the color stripes running along the car body. Except for the work motors, those were long gone by 2013.

• Upvote 2

Not to mention the thumbnail for the video shows a 2400 with the color stripes running along the car body. Except for the work motors, those were long gone by 2013.

And definitely red white and blue, as the work motors were only red and white.

I had a hard time finding a reference, but eventually one said it was in 2001.

• Upvote 2

...I had a hard time finding a reference, but eventually one said it was in 2001.

Surprised that piece of news is still up. And no paywall either! B| Thanks.

On the green line to Harlem...driver overshot Austin by a whole car

First time in my 4 years of riding the CTA that I've seen an overshoot. And please pardon my crappy picture...was running to the front before the doors closed and trying to be inconspicuous ;)

Not that it matters, since there are cameras everywhere. :ph34r:

Austin, Ridgeland, Oak Park, and Central seem like stations that could be overshot more than others. The platforms have no distinguishing features that would help a driver tell how much room they have left, especially at night. As you see in your picture, there's not much light being produced at the end of the platform, which could make it hard to see the end of the platform. I would think Ridgeland would probably be the easiest to properly stop at for an outbound train. The stairs down to the street are at the west end of the platform. Just stop at the stairs. Though I've actually been in a train that nearly overshot there...

Finally, you can factor in that the trains can really go fast on the embankment and that it might not be easy to properly judge how good you can brake.

Surprised that piece of news is still up. And no paywall either! B| Thanks.

Not that it matters, since there are cameras everywhere. :ph34r:

Austin, Ridgeland, Oak Park, and Central seem like stations that could be overshot more than others. The platforms have no distinguishing features that would help a driver tell how much room they have left, especially at night. As you see in your picture, there's not much light being produced at the end of the platform, which could make it hard to see the end of the platform. I would think Ridgeland would probably be the easiest to properly stop at for an outbound train. The stairs down to the street are at the west end of the platform. Just stop at the stairs. Though I've actually been in a train that nearly overshot there...

Finally, you can factor in that the trains can really go fast on the embankment and that it might not be easy to properly judge how good you can brake.

You have a point, but with a 4-car train stopping at an 8-car platform, you'd think they could stop in time. The driver didn't even attempt to use the emergency brake until the VERY last second, and when the doors didn't open (and somebody pulled the cherry...) I knew exactly what happened. Ran to the front to get a picture and barely made it back on the train in time :P 

Those 5000s can stop FAAAAST though...I'm surprised he didn't use the track brake sooner.

You have a point, but with a 4-car train stopping at an 8-car platform, you'd think they could stop in time. The driver didn't even attempt to use the emergency brake until the VERY last second, and when the doors didn't open (and somebody pulled the cherry...) I knew exactly what happened. Ran to the front to get a picture and barely made it back on the train in time :P 

Those 5000s can stop FAAAAST though...I'm surprised he didn't use the track brake sooner.

Good thing you weren't at O'Hare!

Anyone know what the penalty/punishment is for this? I would expect they would be very concerned about overshoots since the O'Hare crash.

And definitely red white and blue, as the work motors were only red and white.

I had a hard time finding a reference, but eventually one said it was in 2001.

http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/RAB0407.pdf

At the bottom of page two, it cites a "similar accident", which is the one referenced in the video. It was in 2001. I can't find the PDF of the report from 2001, but the one from 2004 cites the report number.

At the bottom of page two, it cites a "similar accident", which is the one referenced in the video. It was in 2001. I can't find the PDF of the report from 2001, but the one from 2004 cites the report number.

That really shows something about CTA's safety culture at the time. Both accidents were attributed to drivers passing a stop signal without permission. (One called for permission but got no response, so continued anyway.) Not surprising that "lack of operational safety oversight" was listed as a contributing factor.

I had originally found a Tribune article for the 2004 one, but then used terms in it to find the 2001 one, so I only posted the link to the latter.

That really shows something about CTA's safety culture at the time. Both accidents were attributed to drivers passing a stop signal without permission. (One called for permission but got no response, so continued anyway.) Not surprising that "lack of operational safety oversight" was listed as a contributing factor.

CTA's safety culture never has been and still is not good. One would have thought someone would have learned to obey cab signals from the 1977 wreck at Wabash and Lake, but then there were these two. The one at O'Hare was somewhat different, but not much.

I still can't figure out why red does not mean stay stopped, instead of that the train physically can go 6 mph.

Keeping an eye on #2021 because it's on #12 but it's going all the way to Central/Harrison not Roosevelt/Kedzie in which I find that very surprising.

I was hoping for those 2008 Models (Latest NF latest 1900/ 2000 series) would go to FG after Chicago Avenue gets all 100 of New Novas.